Confused about FTTN speeds.

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
LindaB

Confused about FTTN speeds.

Post by LindaB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

I signed up with you last night hoping to get the 100/40 plan for FTTN but I was told the max speed is 25/5 Mbps.
I rang NBN today because they informed me recently that FTTN can reach speeds close to 100/40 & they don't understand why Exetel has told me the max speed is much lower.
I would prefer to stay with Exetel because I have been a loyal customer for years & found yr service to be great but if 25/5 Mbps is definately the max speed you offer for FTTN I am considering withdrawing my application.
Can anyone explain please why I am being given different information between Exetel & NBN Co please.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Confused about FTTN speeds.

Post by KavindaS » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:49 pm

LindaB wrote:I signed up with you last night hoping to get the 100/40 plan for FTTN but I was told the max speed is 25/5 Mbps.
I rang NBN today because they informed me recently that FTTN can reach speeds close to 100/40 & they don't understand why Exetel has told me the max speed is much lower.
I would prefer to stay with Exetel because I have been a loyal customer for years & found yr service to be great but if 25/5 Mbps is definately the max speed you offer for FTTN I am considering withdrawing my application.
Can anyone explain please why I am being given different information between Exetel & NBN Co please.
In a FTTN service, average speed can not be confirmed since the speeds will vary depending on the following facts as well

* Distance from the exchange
* Quality of the cables
* Electrical interference from other sources.
* Age of the cables

However i will check this further with our sales department and update you about the confirmation given during the application process.

nicoler
Exetel Staff

Post by nicoler » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:41 pm

LindaB wrote:I signed up with you last night hoping to get the 100/40 plan for FTTN but I was told the max speed is 25/5 Mbps.
HI,
If you could PM your customer ID or your nominated email address with Exetel , we will further investigate this and advised you accordingly.

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks. PM sent.

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:47 pm

My understanding of why Exetel are suggesting to buy the 25/5 speed is because of the expectation of getting 100 Mbps which in your case would be spot on.

I think that NBN have given you a bum steer here. FTTN will not reach 100 Mbps. Not even FTTP would reach max speed.
Having said that, some FTTN uses of Exetel service are getting 70 Mbps but as mentioned by KavindaS that would depend on those items mention but in particular how far you are to the exchange (Node). Are you within 300 - 400 metres? You may never know what Node you are accessing from unless you are around when a technician is working nearby.

What I would suggest is that you talk to neighbours or access your local FB groups to see what others are saying about speeds being obtained on FTTN. That will then give you a guide. Get Exetel to maybe place your order "pending" while you do your homework. Then if you find that speeds of 70 Mbps and they could be as low as 50 Mbps are being obtained then you decide if you would like to pay for the 100 Mbps. But please remember to never expect 100 Mbps.
One of the important factors here in your decision making is do you really need the 100 Mbps speed? If you are running a business, it would be feasible. Are your devices always cable in with Ethernet? If you use an iPad as an example their wifi is never going to even reach 30 Mbps. Generally the 25 Mbps is sufficient for the average household.
What type of speed are you getting with your current service?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:48 pm

NBN reaches those speeds, but when we do checks, not all speed tiers are available, as FTTN is a distance based technology, so the further you are from the node means lower speeds.