FTTN Order

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
maestro

FTTN Order

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:05 am

Hi, I just signed up for the 25/5 100GB plan for $39 p/m (it was a pleasant surprise when the plan price was reduced by $10 p/m when it finally accepted my address as being NBN ready) and I have a couple of questions...

1) How long until the old phone lines are switched off? I have had my central splitter upgraded from an ADSL2 one to a VDSL2 one already (I was able to get it done more cheaply than Exetel's prices listed in the T&Cs) so I can keep using it (I am registered with NBNCo as having a medical alarm connected, so need it for the time being). I am just wondering when I need to port the number away before it stops working? (The medical alarm will not be required for much longer).

2) The T&Cs talk about costs for a central splitter install. Do I need to tell Exetel that I have already had mine upgraded so as to avoid these costs?

3) What are the timeframes for FTTN installs. My understanding is that since it will still be provided over copper then they won't need to access my house, they can patch it in from the street cabinet and do a heap at a time (so I am hoping it will be faster than Fibre NBN installs). I'm not after an exact date, just a rought timeframe.

4) Are there any plans for Exetel to offer 50Mbps plans? I would think that it would be the best plan for FTTN, yet you don't seem to sell them?

I am currently on an Exetel ADSL2+ plan (Powertel equipment at the exchange) with a Telstra POTS service.

I asked some of these questions a while ago ( https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42981 ) but unfortunately had no replies, so am trying again here.

Mandy
Exetel Staff

Re: FTTN Order

Post by Mandy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:06 pm

maestro wrote:Hi, I just signed up for the 25/5 100GB plan for $39 p/m (it was a pleasant surprise when the plan price was reduced by $10 p/m when it finally accepted my address as being NBN ready) and I have a couple of questions...

1) How long until the old phone lines are switched off? I have had my central splitter upgraded from an ADSL2 one to a VDSL2 one already (I was able to get it done more cheaply than Exetel's prices listed in the T&Cs) so I can keep using it (I am registered with NBNCo as having a medical alarm connected, so need it for the time being). I am just wondering when I need to port the number away before it stops working? (The medical alarm will not be required for much longer).
Once the installation has been completed your current ADSL and Telephone service will stop working and apart from that there will also be a downtime during the cut over time which could be around 24 – 48 hours approximately.
maestro wrote: 2) The T&Cs talk about costs for a central splitter install. Do I need to tell Exetel that I have already had mine upgraded so as to avoid these costs?
If there is no requirement for a new splitter, then you may use your existing splitter.
maestro wrote: 3) What are the timeframes for FTTN installs. My understanding is that since it will still be provided over copper then they won't need to access my house, they can patch it in from the street cabinet and do a heap at a time (so I am hoping it will be faster than Fibre NBN installs). I'm not after an exact date, just a rought timeframe.
This would depend on the service class registered under NBN Co., if you could PM your order details we could further investigate and get back to you.
maestro wrote: 4) Are there any plans for Exetel to offer 50Mbps plans? I would think that it would be the best plan for FTTN, yet you don't seem to sell them?
Currently we do not have any updates on this however in the event Exetel is to offer the said speeds, it would be updated on your Members Portal under the plan change option.

maestro

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Mandy wrote:Once the installation has been completed your current ADSL and Telephone service will stop working and apart from that there will also be a downtime during the cut over time which could be around 24 – 48 hours approximately.
Mandy, I also sent an email to NBN asking this question and they came back with a different answer (see below)
NBN wrote: Your address XXXXXXXXXXXXX, Figtree, NSW 2525 will be getting nbn™ Fibre To The
Node technology utilising the existing copper infrastructure to your premise.

The copper network will be switched off 18 months after an area becomes live with
the nbn™ technology.
I intend to use my Telstra line for a little longer, so please don't cut it off.
Mandy wrote:If there is no requirement for a new splitter, then you may use your existing splitter.
Excellent, thank you. (although a splitter would be pointless if my Telephone service stopped working, as you say above)
Mandy wrote:
maestro wrote: 3) What are the timeframes for FTTN installs. My understanding is that since it will still be provided over copper then they won't need to access my house, they can patch it in from the street cabinet and do a heap at a time (so I am hoping it will be faster than Fibre NBN installs). I'm not after an exact date, just a rought timeframe.
This would depend on the service class registered under NBN Co., if you could PM your order details we could further investigate and get back to you.
Thank you for that, my order reference number is F19193767. I will PM the rest of the details to you as requested.
Mandy wrote:
maestro wrote: 4) Are there any plans for Exetel to offer 50Mbps plans? I would think that it would be the best plan for FTTN, yet you don't seem to sell them?
Currently we do not have any updates on this however in the event Exetel is to offer the said speeds, it would be updated on your Members Portal under the plan change option.
Thank you, I will look out for this. I think that 50Mpbs will be a popular speed for FTTN subscribers.

maestro

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 pm

The full text of the email from NBN is below. It is very clear that I can use a central splitter to keep my existing voice service alongside the NBN FTTN service.
NBN wrote:Thank you for your enquiry to nbn. The reference number for your enquiry is
511066-229795701.

Your address XXXXXXXXXXXXX, Figtree, NSW 2525 will be getting nbn™ Fibre To The
Node technology utilising the existing copper infrastructure to your premise.

The copper network will be switched off 18 months after an area becomes live with
the nbn™ technology .

Central Splitter is not a standard equipment and needs to be requested in the order.
Your Retail Service Provide (RSP) is to discuss this with you and confirm if they
require one or need one installed as they place the orders.

Why order a Central Splitter? End Users may have alarms, all sorts of voice enabled
equipment running on the same copper line and multiple sockets. The central splitter
will allow the nbn VDSL have its own dedicated socket the modem can plug into. The
Central Splitter will separate the VDSL signals and the Voice frequency and no
requirement of an in-line filter is needed.

natashaf
Exetel Staff

Post by natashaf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi,

Kindly note that this is being escalated to the management. We will get in touch with you soon.

Regards,
Natasha

natashaf
Exetel Staff

Post by natashaf » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

A central splitter can be used with the service. However, we are unable to guarantee if you could retain the voice service through the central splitter. The Splitter is used to reduce interference caused by your internal wiring.

According to what NBN says, the copper will be switched off in 18 months after an area becomes ready for NBN. However, the technology used at your property is Fibre to the node technology where the existing copper line is used. Due to this the voice service will terminate once the fibre is connected. In order to retain the number it should be transferred over to a VOIP connection.

Regards,

Natasha

maestro

Post by maestro » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Natasha, I am really confused now...

You have given me two different answers "unable to guarantee if you could retain the voice" and "the voice service will terminate", and NBN has said "The
Central Splitter will separate the VDSL signals and the Voice frequency".

Furthermore, Exetel's documentation talks about having a central splitter installed, which I have now done. Why would you talk about installing central splitters if voice and data can't co-exist? What would be the point of one?

My NBN activation date is the 12th October and I would like to have continuity of phone service (and keep my number). How do I go about this?
- If I port my number now, will it break my existing ADSL connection and cause problems with the NBN connection?
- If I wait until after I have changed over to the NBN for data, will I still be able to port my phone number, or will it be lost?

natashaf
Exetel Staff

Post by natashaf » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi,

I believe that you received a call from one of our senior sales representatives and the information is been cleared out. However, if you still do have any concerns kindly let us know so that we could assist you.

Regards,

Natasha

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 pm

natashaf wrote:I believe that you received a call from one of our senior sales representatives and the information is been cleared out. However, if you still do have any concerns kindly let us know so that we could assist you.
Yes thank you. I was put on hold while she talked to the NBN people and then told me that my existing voice service would continue after being changed over to FTTN NBN and that I would be able to port it at a later stage (and keep my number). If I did not port it before the copper switch off then I would lose the number.

Thank you for your assistance with this.

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks for your help, the connection went through today and my NBN connection is working and the landline phone is also working.

Unfortunately I am only getting a sync speed of 13960/2080 on the modem, so can't get the full 25/5Mbps I ordered. I have tried an isolation test and the sync speed doesn't change. Is there any thing that can be tweaked to give me a better sync speed? Or if this is all I can get then can I drop my plan back to 12/1Mbps?

Thank you

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:43 pm

maestro wrote:Thanks for your help, the connection went through today and my NBN connection is working and the landline phone is also working.

Unfortunately I am only getting a sync speed of 13960/2080 on the modem, so can't get the full 25/5Mbps I ordered. I have tried an isolation test and the sync speed doesn't change. Is there any thing that can be tweaked to give me a better sync speed? Or if this is all I can get then can I drop my plan back to 12/1Mbps?

Thank you
I have checked the supplier programming and the plan details of your service. Unfortunately this has not completed as 25/5, where you have selected the plan 12000/1000 - 39.00 - 100000 (MB) during the online application submission. NBN programming and all configuration is set to 12/1 plan and it seems you get the maximum possible sync rate according to the applied plan.

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:10 pm

KavindaS wrote:you have selected the plan 12000/1000 - 39.00 - 100000 (MB) during the online application submission.
I definitely did not select the 12/1 plan, I decided more than a year ago that I needed a 25/5 plan and did all my research based on that. I also have a screenshot of the 25/5 plan that I selected during the install process.

I double checked your ordering website and have figured out how it got changed (there is a bug in your website). If you go to your NBN signup page, select a 25/5 plan, then select your address to "check NBN availability" *after* selecting your plan, then click "Order Now" then it will discreetly change your selection to 12/1. Unfortunately I must have missed this in the order confirmation page, so the order went through as 12/1.
KavindaS wrote:NBN programming and all configuration is set to 12/1 plan and it seems you get the maximum possible sync rate according to the applied plan.
So does this mean that I will be able to sync at a higher speed if I change to the 25/5 plan? If so, then I would like to change.

There is also another mistake in your website. When I read the critical information summary before signing up, it said that I could increase my plan for free if I went for a 12 month contract, however when I log in to make the change your website incorrectly has this as 24 months.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 pm

maestro wrote: I double checked your ordering website and have figured out how it got changed (there is a bug in your website). If you go to your NBN signup page, select a 25/5 plan, then select your address to "check NBN availability" *after* selecting your plan, then click "Order Now" then it will discreetly change your selection to 12/1. Unfortunately I must have missed this in the order confirmation page, so the order went through as 12/1.
There is also another mistake in your website. When I read the critical information summary before signing up, it said that I could increase my plan for free if I went for a 12 month contract, however when I log in to make the change your website incorrectly has this as 24 months

This will be escalated soon with the Sales department and get them to investigate and update you.
maestro wrote:So does this mean that I will be able to sync at a higher speed if I change to the 25/5 plan? If so, then I would like to change.
FTTN services we cannot guarantee that it will increase the sync rate from a considerable amount, until NBN upgrade the plan with programming accordingly. However if you still wish to upgrade the plan, once Sales get back to you on above, make the request as I have commented all on Ticket #10793712.

maestro

Post by maestro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:39 pm

KavindaS wrote:FTTN services we cannot guarantee that it will increase the sync rate from a considerable amount, until NBN upgrade the plan with programming accordingly. However if you still wish to upgrade the plan, once Sales get back to you on above, make the request as I have commented all on Ticket #10793712.
Thank you, I rang them and it is all sorted now. Unfortunately they were unable to give me the pricing that I had originally selected ($49.00 per month) as the prices have gone up, but they contract length was reduced to 12 months. I agreed to this and it should go through. I'm still syncing at 13960/2080, so hopefully NBN will "upgrade the plan with programming accordingly" soon.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:53 pm

maestro wrote:
KavindaS wrote:FTTN services we cannot guarantee that it will increase the sync rate from a considerable amount, until NBN upgrade the plan with programming accordingly. However if you still wish to upgrade the plan, once Sales get back to you on above, make the request as I have commented all on Ticket #10793712.
Thank you, I rang them and it is all sorted now. Unfortunately they were unable to give me the pricing that I had originally selected ($49.00 per month) as the prices have gone up, but they contract length was reduced to 12 months. I agreed to this and it should go through. I'm still syncing at 13960/2080, so hopefully NBN will "upgrade the plan with programming accordingly" soon.
Once the order is submitted, during the change process, based on the line conditions they will look in to that.