Slow every evening

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Hello,
back in July I reported evening speed issues (job #10537011) this was apparently resolved in August but, I was never able to confirm as I was away for six weeks on holiday.

Since returning from holiday the issue is still happening. I raised another job (# 10780730) but aren't getting much in terms of reply from the support desk other than some changes have been done to my account to resolve the issue but is still exists.

I'm in the Curlewis Parks Estate in Victoria.

Below are some speedtest results.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682943250
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682953185
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682970607
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682987441

Could you please advise what can be done to resolve this?
Thanks,
Shannon :)

KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow every evening

Post by KavindaS » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 pm

shanport wrote:Hello,
back in July I reported evening speed issues (job #10537011) this was apparently resolved in August but, I was never able to confirm as I was away for six weeks on holiday.

Since returning from holiday the issue is still happening. I raised another job (# 10780730) but aren't getting much in terms of reply from the support desk other than some changes have been done to my account to resolve the issue but is still exists.

I'm in the Curlewis Parks Estate in Victoria.

Below are some speedtest results.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682943250
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682953185
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682970607
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5682987441

Could you please advise what can be done to resolve this?
Thanks,
Shannon :)
Hi Shannon,
We will have a quick look in to this and reply to you via the same ticket #10780730.

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 am

I performed tests last night and sent results via email. As yet have not received a response.

What happens now?

Thanks, Shannon :)

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow every evening

Post by stevecJ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 am

shanport wrote:I performed tests last night and sent results via email. As yet have not received a response.

What happens now?

Thanks, Shannon :)

Hi Shannon,

We have received the test results and we will look in to this and get back to you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:55 pm

Could you please provide an update on this?
Thnaks, Shannon :)

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow every evening

Post by stevecJ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:55 pm

shanport wrote:Could you please provide an update on this?
Thnaks, Shannon :)
Hi Shannon,

You can expect an email response shortly. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Received email asking for further tests to be done. Have done this test and emailed you the results.

Also was advised i may need to pay $270 when the tech comes out if he finds the issue related to my doing. Also Consented to this.

Hopefully i wont need to prompt Exetel for a reply to this again.

Please note this issue is only happening after hours from 5pm to late evening.

Regards, Shannon :)

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Slow every evening

Post by Kaushalya » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:26 pm

shanport wrote:Received email asking for further tests to be done. Have done this test and emailed you the results.

Also was advised i may need to pay $270 when the tech comes out if he finds the issue related to my doing. Also Consented to this.

Hopefully i wont need to prompt Exetel for a reply to this again.

Please note this issue is only happening after hours from 5pm to late evening.

Regards, Shannon :)
We have raised this matter to our supplier for further investigations.

We will respond to you as we receive more updates.

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello,

I responded to the query you sent on Friday evening from the supplier asking if the issue happens at other times. Yes the issue does, but it isn't as bad as between 6pm to late evening.

This afternoon around 5pm I was able to get a speedtest result of 60Mps very rare, but now cant get any faster than 12Mbps. This is on a 100/40 Mbps connection!!!

I responded with these details on Sunday and now a full working day later have not received any feedback. Please advise what is happening.

Thanks, :) Shannon

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Australia

Re: Slow every evening

Post by Amila Fernando » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:18 pm

shanport wrote:Hello,

I responded to the query you sent on Friday evening from the supplier asking if the issue happens at other times. Yes the issue does, but it isn't as bad as between 6pm to late evening.

This afternoon around 5pm I was able to get a speedtest result of 60Mps very rare, but now cant get any faster than 12Mbps. This is on a 100/40 Mbps connection!!!

I responded with these details on Sunday and now a full working day later have not received any feedback. Please advise what is happening.

Thanks, :) Shannon
Hi Shannon,

Currently your reported service issue is being investigated by our wholesale supplier. We will provide you an update once its available.

We do apologies for the delay and inconvenience caused to you.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello for the past 3 days I have received the exact same scripted response from Exetel. Firstly from Amila Fernando then Nilushi Dissanayake and today Nathan Som. The response reads
Hi Shannon,

Currently your reported service issue is being investigated by our wholesale supplier and it has been escalated to their network team.

We are working closely with the wholesale supplier and will obtain an update as soon as possible.

We do apologies for any inconvenience caused with regard to this.
I have patiently asked for a update on the speed issue, but think it is unfair that the same pre-canned response is being sent to me. From the reply's i can only assume the support staff aren't contacting the supplier. Exetel, I would like some real information regarding the issue, for example, what Exetel expects the issue is, what was found with the tests i performed and what Exetel expects the issue is (why it has been sent to the supplier). Other information like the suppliers normal response times could also be provided allowing customers to understand the process better and expected resoluton time frames.

I hope you can understand (as your emails state) how frustrating this actually is.
Thanks, :) Shannon

Pal
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by Pal » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 pm

It may not help but I notice the same complaint about slow Internet speed in the evening with every ISP/RSP. The slow speed in the evening seems to be for almost all users and all ISPs. If you are on NBN FTTN with 384 subscribers per node with a 2Gbps link back to the exchange and who knows what back to the point of interconnect, then 2000Mbps divided by 384 = 5.2mbps each. Now not all households will be using the Internet at the same time but many households have more than one device connected to the Internet. However if 21% of subscribers decide to stream 4K Netflix in the evening then the capacity of the note is exceeded with nothing for the other 79%. See [url]http://blog.jxeeno.com/poor-nbn-fttnb-d ... ongestion/[/url] for a commentary on this.

So bottleneck number 1 is the capacity of the node and it doesn't matter if you pay for 100/40, as it can't be delivered during peak hour just like you can't drive a 350km/h Ferrari through Sydney or Melbourne streets during peak hour.

If you have FTTP then you are better off because the connection between you and the exchange is shared with considerably less other subscribers (I can’t find the figures but from memory it was only 32).

ISPs/RSPs like Exetel buy bandwidth from the NBN. I saw a figure at [url]http://rogermontgomery.com/nbns-major-issue/[/url] of $17.50 for 1Mbps of bandwidth or $437.50 for 25Mbps which Exetel resells for $49.99 so ISPs oversubscribe or share that between customers hoping that not everyone will be downloading simultaneously which is the case with regular browsing and the occasional download. However when people stream movies or all turn their computers on after Microsoft issues a 3GB update to Windows 10, then major congestion, just like the M5 in Sydney during peak hours. So bottleneck number 2 is the ISP balancing their retail budget with high charges from NBN spread over many customers. If you want 100Mbps 24/7 then expect to pay a lot lot more like corporate customers do. You can get that from Exetel for $1,350 a month.

KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow every evening

Post by KavindaS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

shanport wrote:Hello for the past 3 days I have received the exact same scripted response from Exetel. Firstly from Amila Fernando then Nilushi Dissanayake and today Nathan Som. The response reads
Hi Shannon,

Currently your reported service issue is being investigated by our wholesale supplier and it has been escalated to their network team.

We are working closely with the wholesale supplier and will obtain an update as soon as possible.

We do apologies for any inconvenience caused with regard to this.
I have patiently asked for a update on the speed issue, but think it is unfair that the same pre-canned response is being sent to me. From the reply's i can only assume the support staff aren't contacting the supplier. Exetel, I would like some real information regarding the issue, for example, what Exetel expects the issue is, what was found with the tests i performed and what Exetel expects the issue is (why it has been sent to the supplier). Other information like the suppliers normal response times could also be provided allowing customers to understand the process better and expected resoluton time frames.

I hope you can understand (as your emails state) how frustrating this actually is.
Thanks, :) Shannon
Exetel apologies for the delay in supplier update. Usually the supplier update is within 48 hours. However the support department has already contacted them and based on the test results given, they have escalated this with their internal network team. Exetel and the supplier level 1 teams are waiting on their report and we will daily follow up on this, update you as soon as there is an update.

shanport
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Slow every evening

Post by shanport » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 am

Hello,

I have been reviewing the supplier's website and it mentions the following
MY INTERNET SPEED IS NOT WHAT I PURCHASED FROM MY SERVICE PROVIDER

OptiComm’s network has more than sufficient capacity to provide the high speeds required by today’s bandwidth hungry Internet users. The OptiComm network easily delivers the bandwidth that each of our service providers have purchased from us.
Please note that OptiComm does offer different product quality options to our service providers. It is up to the service providers to ensure they purchase the correct product options to ensure they have sufficient bandwidth to adequately service their end users requirements. These design decisions by the service provider, along with the service provider’s traffic class allocations, the end user equipment, quality of the home wiring and the speed of the servers providing the Internet content, will largely determine the speed the end user can achieve.
Please contact your service provider for further information or if you are experiencing problems.
https://www.opticomm.net.au/my-connecti ... -provider/

It appears to me that you may not have selected the correct option, and in turn the service you are on selling to consumers is below the standard they expect living in an Opticomm enabled area.

Whilst I'm waiting for a resolution to my issue, can you please advise if you have purchased the correct product options form Opticomm?

Thanks, Shannon :)

KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow every evening

Post by KavindaS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:01 pm

shanport wrote:Hello,

I have been reviewing the supplier's website and it mentions the following
MY INTERNET SPEED IS NOT WHAT I PURCHASED FROM MY SERVICE PROVIDER

OptiComm’s network has more than sufficient capacity to provide the high speeds required by today’s bandwidth hungry Internet users. The OptiComm network easily delivers the bandwidth that each of our service providers have purchased from us.
Please note that OptiComm does offer different product quality options to our service providers. It is up to the service providers to ensure they purchase the correct product options to ensure they have sufficient bandwidth to adequately service their end users requirements. These design decisions by the service provider, along with the service provider’s traffic class allocations, the end user equipment, quality of the home wiring and the speed of the servers providing the Internet content, will largely determine the speed the end user can achieve.
Please contact your service provider for further information or if you are experiencing problems.
https://www.opticomm.net.au/my-connecti ... -provider/

It appears to me that you may not have selected the correct option, and in turn the service you are on selling to consumers is below the standard they expect living in an Opticomm enabled area.

Whilst I'm waiting for a resolution to my issue, can you please advise if you have purchased the correct product options form Opticomm?

Thanks, Shannon :)
Opticomm still investigating with their internal network team. I can confirm the correct product have purchased according to the service plan you have selected.

Post Reply