UDP Throttling

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
oldmate800

UDP Throttling

Post by oldmate800 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:06 am

Hi

I use a site to site IPSEC VPN. I manage the Exetel FTTN and FTTP connections at BOTH ends. Both run Cisco hardware vpns and have been bullet proof till I switched over to NBN on both sides.

Now at about 7pm-11pm every night the VPN drops 90% packets and i have a suspicion this is due to Exetel throttling UDP traffic. It's interesting that every other service that uses UDP doesn't work really at all between these times. The connections at both ends are barely being used – both 100/40MB connections – I've isolated all other traffic off the network to test and this makes the packet loss no better.

So just now I was reading some info regarding the UDP traffic being capped, and this seems to make sense since everything using TCP runs fine during the above period.

So Exetel – are you doing some form of UDP capping? Can i please be notified as confirmation this is happening and is this something that will be resolved or should i seek another provider. Can anyone suggest providers that do not throttle – i don't care if i have to pay more, these links need to be stable 24/7

Cheers

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: UDP Throttling

Post by Kaushalya » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:03 pm

oldmate800 wrote:Hi

I use a site to site IPSEC VPN. I manage the Exetel FTTN and FTTP connections at BOTH ends. Both run Cisco hardware vpns and have been bullet proof till I switched over to NBN on both sides.

Now at about 7pm-11pm every night the VPN drops 90% packets and i have a suspicion this is due to Exetel throttling UDP traffic. It's interesting that every other service that uses UDP doesn't work really at all between these times. The connections at both ends are barely being used – both 100/40MB connections – I've isolated all other traffic off the network to test and this makes the packet loss no better.

So just now I was reading some info regarding the UDP traffic being capped, and this seems to make sense since everything using TCP runs fine during the above period.

So Exetel – are you doing some form of UDP capping? Can i please be notified as confirmation this is happening and is this something that will be resolved or should i seek another provider. Can anyone suggest providers that do not throttle – i don't care if i have to pay more, these links need to be stable 24/7

Cheers
We have emailed you in regards to this matter. Please reply us with the test results requested.

Your reference: #10976056