Red Train fibre - specifically South Morang / Mernda

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttN
bigshow

Red Train fibre - specifically South Morang / Mernda

Post by bigshow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Does anyone have any experience using Exetel on the Red Train fibre network in the City of Whittlesea area?

I ask because Skymesh have ceased offering services on the Red Train network and I need to move a service to a new provider.
It seems Exetel users in the Pakenham area serviced by Red Train fibre appear to be getting pretty terrible speeds during peak usage times: https://ibb.co/jxh2c7

In defense of Exetel, Red Train have been famous for under provisioning their backhaul where they are the monopoly telco network provider like in Pakenham (ie everyone in the housing estate has no choice but to connect to Red Train fibre). This is not the case in South Morang / Mernda where the Red Train fibre network was an overbuild of the existing copper (now FttN NBN) network. I suspect this is why Red Train backhaul congestion has never been a problem in South Morang / Mernda as roughly only ~10-% of serviced premises are on the network and if speeds are poor there is the option to connect to the inferior FttN NBN.

Can anyone from Exetel comment on the Red Train fibre network situation? If speeds are likely to be poor I am happy to accept that and arrange for a FttN NBN connection instead.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Red Train fibre - specifically South Morang / Mernda

Post by James » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Your speeds will likely be the same as your current provider.