Intermittent NBN in Bondi Beach - so what's new

Services provided via NBN Co, Opticomm, Open Networks, Red Train, LBN Co, and TPG FttB
mortshag

Intermittent NBN in Bondi Beach - so what's new

Post by mortshag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 pm

I am experiencing precisely (I repeat - precisely) the same problems I had with ADSL in Bondi Beach about 400m from the exchange. Intermittent outages all over Easter going weekend. Thanks to my Aldi mobile plan I can actually get a stable connection for $25 per month!! I once had a discussion with a very senior federal Treasury officer about small business ( Exetel is privately owned) and he said that "The reason small business is called small business is because it is so effing small" . He was correct.

For over 15 years I have had two websites running off Siteground's servers in Chicago and NEVER in 15 years have they been down. NEVER.

Lift your game.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Intermittent NBN in Bondi Beach - so what's new

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 am

I'll leave it to staff to look into the details of the trouble, but there is a significant difference between here and Chicago - there it was a large company that ran the system. Here it is a large government instrumentality, the NBN, who runs the distribution.

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Thank you for your self serving response.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:32 pm

mortshag wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 pm
I am experiencing precisely (I repeat - precisely) the same problems I had with ADSL in Bondi Beach about 400m from the exchange. Intermittent outages all over Easter going weekend. Thanks to my Aldi mobile plan I can actually get a stable connection for $25 per month!! I once had a discussion with a very senior federal Treasury officer about small business ( Exetel is privately owned) and he said that "The reason small business is called small business is because it is so effing small" . He was correct.

For over 15 years I have had two websites running off Siteground's servers in Chicago and NEVER in 15 years have they been down. NEVER.

Lift your game.
We’re disappointed that you’ve had problems with Exetel. PM me your service number, so I can check according to the wholesale provider informed outages.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am

As you should know, with ADSL, and now FTTN/B the issue is the local copper network, which is out of our control, but we do our best to work with our suppliers to fix issues as quickly as possible.

If you think the service from a Chicago based web hosting company can provide a better service over your old copper, then perhaps ask them to become an NBN RSP.......

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm

The simple empirical fact is that both ADSL and NBN services to my home reflect outages that are unacceptable. This is not unique to me: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/ ... n/11037620
What is so obviously missing in all the self-serving flatus is a factual (as distinct from spin and mendacious) engineering explanation for issues.

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56 pm

"We’re disappointed that you’ve had problems with Exetel. PM me your service number, so I can check according to the wholesale provider informed outages."

No point- I checked each time on your site and no suggestion of a problem. But we have been down this track before haven't we and we both know what is going on...

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:30 am

Of course our site has no indication of a problem, as it is your copper, not a general outage.

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Ah - so it's the copper wire! But when tested everything was perfect. The problem is a pathetic middle man business coupled with a hopeless NBN. Indeed, given that you clearly are aware of all the issues why do you run the business at all? Why?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Then please do not use a pathetic middle man business and move to another provider that isn't coupled with a hopeless NBN...........

No one is forcing you to use Exetel, but the issues you are experiencing are almost certainly caused by your local infrastructure.

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Are you speaking contractually now? As a company "officer" are you now saying that the year long contract can be broken without penalty?

mortshag

Post by mortshag » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:24 pm

And given your enthusiasm for the robust reply perhaps you can turn your technical mind as to why my PMs cannot get out of my Outbox? I can send you the screen dump but not via PM of course. Perhaps that is the copper wire too? Just give the email address so I can give you the actual evidence. Moreover, what is Exetel's legal position if the problem is with my "infrastructure"? Be precise.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:15 pm

mortshag wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:24 pm
And given your enthusiasm for the robust reply perhaps you can turn your technical mind as to why my PMs cannot get out of my Outbox? I can send you the screen dump but not via PM of course. Perhaps that is the copper wire too? Just give the email address so I can give you the actual evidence. Moreover, what is Exetel's legal position if the problem is with my "infrastructure"? Be precise.
Your PM has received and we have already checked with the supplier for any known outages. Therefore, we need to individually investigate your copper line for any possible issues. If you wish to move forward on this, you may send your evidence and all details to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

If we could isolate any issue within the infrastructure, during the troubleshooting process, we will log a fault with the supplier and get their technicians to investigate the line from the street up the network boundary port.

However, as James clearly stated, if that is what you could get in maximum from your connected infrastructure, which is out of our control and we need to be with the current line specifications.