The Exetel 6-year club

Comments and posts about your experience with Exetel

Re: The Exetel almost-13-year club

Postby trev on Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 pm

I joined Exetel ADSL1 back on 14 June 2004 - so 13 years this coming June 14, except it won't be because I have today given the required 30 days notice to cancel my Exetel services. This is not a decision which I took lightly. I feel sad.

This sad state of affairs was brought about by the frequent PPP session disconnections which have been occurring on my NBN FTTP 50/20 service. I obtained the NBN FTTP service in January 2014 and for the first 2 years and 10.5 months of my NBN service, the connection was flawless. However in mid-November of 2016 I started getting frequent PPP session connections. At various times my Customer Premises Equipment (router, ethernet cable - there was nothing else). I ruled out the router and ethernet cable being at fault by using substitutes. I ruled out the NTD being at fault by lighting up two more of the four data ports with other RSPs (SkyMesh and Telecube). These other RSP connections do not suffer any PPP session disconnections.

Most depressing of all was the cycle of SMS and emails from Exetel Technical Support, the most frustrating ones were like the one below:

"We have monitored your connection for the last 1x hours and there's no dropouts. We will close this ticket now unless you reply in 24 hours."

Sometimes there had in fact been a disconnection in that period - at one stage I had to ask if they were actually looking at the right service/premises. The rest of the time there would be more disconnections before 24 hours had expired. I would reply, wait a week, then ask in the Forum for someone to look at my ticket again (which did result in a quick response).

So, after having the same technical support ticket open for 5.5 months my patience finally ran out as I despaired of any serious action from Exetel and I decided to cancel my services.

Farewell and thanks for all the fish, pioneer discount and previous years of great service.
trev

Re: The Exetel 6-year club

Postby huh2? on Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Clocked up 13 years a week ago.
No real issues in all that time, just a day here and there when there were major issues with other companies causing Extel grief - aanet days anyone?

Moved from ADSL to ADSL2 and now on NBN. No Pioneer discount for a while now - have had very good service and decent pricng though.
Unfortunately only FTTN and not likely to achieve better than 75Mbps down but would like to try faster than 25/5.

Will be a pity to do so but with Exetel not having a 50/20 plan I am now looking to move elsewhere for internet access.
huh2?

Postby Mandy on Tue May 02, 2017 1:49 pm

huh2? wrote:Clocked up 13 years a week ago.
No real issues in all that time, just a day here and there when there were major issues with other companies causing Extel grief - aanet days anyone?

Moved from ADSL to ADSL2 and now on NBN. No Pioneer discount for a while now - have had very good service and decent pricng though.
Unfortunately only FTTN and not likely to achieve better than 75Mbps down but would like to try faster than 25/5.

Will be a pity to do so but with Exetel not having a 50/20 plan I am now looking to move elsewhere for internet access.

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not offer the 50/20Mbps plans, however if it is made available, this would be advertised.

We certainly do appreciate your loyalty over the years.
Mandy
Exetel Staff

Postby Nathanael S on Tue May 02, 2017 2:23 pm

trev wrote:I joined Exetel ADSL1 back on 14 June 2004 - so 13 years this coming June 14, except it won't be because I have today given the required 30 days notice to cancel my Exetel services. This is not a decision which I took lightly. I feel sad.

This sad state of affairs was brought about by the frequent PPP session disconnections which have been occurring on my NBN FTTP 50/20 service. I obtained the NBN FTTP service in January 2014 and for the first 2 years and 10.5 months of my NBN service, the connection was flawless. However in mid-November of 2016 I started getting frequent PPP session connections. At various times my Customer Premises Equipment (router, ethernet cable - there was nothing else). I ruled out the router and ethernet cable being at fault by using substitutes. I ruled out the NTD being at fault by lighting up two more of the four data ports with other RSPs (SkyMesh and Telecube). These other RSP connections do not suffer any PPP session disconnections.

Most depressing of all was the cycle of SMS and emails from Exetel Technical Support, the most frustrating ones were like the one below:

"We have monitored your connection for the last 1x hours and there's no dropouts. We will close this ticket now unless you reply in 24 hours."

Sometimes there had in fact been a disconnection in that period - at one stage I had to ask if they were actually looking at the right service/premises. The rest of the time there would be more disconnections before 24 hours had expired. I would reply, wait a week, then ask in the Forum for someone to look at my ticket again (which did result in a quick response).

So, after having the same technical support ticket open for 5.5 months my patience finally ran out as I despaired of any serious action from Exetel and I decided to cancel my services.

Farewell and thanks for all the fish, pioneer discount and previous years of great service.

We want to just let you know that we are truly disappointed and saddened that you will no longer be with Exetel. We however understand your decision and greatly appreciate your loyalty over these years which is certainly something we do not take lightly. We will be looking into how we could have better served you however we wish you the best for all your future endeavors. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need any assistance at all in making a smooth transition.
Nathanael S
Exetel Staff

Postby James on Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 pm

trev wrote:I joined Exetel ADSL1 back on 14 June 2004 - so 13 years this coming June 14, except it won't be because I have today given the required 30 days notice to cancel my Exetel services. This is not a decision which I took lightly. I feel sad.

Hi Trev,

Very sorry to hear about this, if you want to send me your service number, I can have our CTO investigate your particular case tomorrow and resolve it very quickly.

Regards,

James Linton
james@exetel.com.au
James
Exetel Staff

Postby nickdx on Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Hey Trev, I must say I had the same types of issues with dropouts and frustrations with Exetel. Then one day, after venting my spleen on the forums, and further calling back and forth, the helpdesk representative finally got the message and said we'll resolve it for you. After that point, they pulled out all the stops now I have a functioning line, better than it has in years.
When they say they'll fix it, they do. I guess if you can't trust James, who can you trust.

I understand that commercially they'd be out of business if they did that for every problem. Just that they pushed me to breaking point before they did anything (like yourself).

By the way my first line was activated 5th March 2004, before moving house to my current location in November 2004. Never had another ADSL provider.
I remember they were the cheapest by far, my work colleagues (I work in IT) were laughing at me for going with Exetel. I still have the original e-mails, just went through them to look at the date and saw John Linton replying to some queries I had about the modem and its arrival. Must have been a considerably smaller helpdesk back then :)
nickdx

Postby huh2? on Thu May 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Just curious, how many "pioneers" are still using Exetel?
huh2?

Postby James on Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 pm

It's hard to measure, in our early days we treated all relocations as a new customer number, but at least 25% of our first 1000 customers.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby huh2? on Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm

James wrote:... at least 25% of our first 1000 customers.

That is pretty impressive after 13 years.
Don't know if I am in that first 1000 or not - initial 12 month contract for adsl1 started ~23/4/2004.

Unfortunately, I am about to give money to someone else so I can try out a 50/20 connection.
huh2?

Postby bodogbodog on Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 pm

James wrote:It's hard to measure, in our early days we treated all relocations as a new customer number, but at least 25% of our first 1000 customers.

The last number I was given was several years ago now and was 258 Pioneers at that time - so that would be the maximum and sadly it's quite likely lower now
bodogbodog

Postby James on Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
James wrote:It's hard to measure, in our early days we treated all relocations as a new customer number, but at least 25% of our first 1000 customers.

The last number I was given was several years ago now and was 258 Pioneers at that time - so that would be the maximum and sadly it's quite likely lower now

Actually no, it isn't the maximum, we come across old customers who come back, or ones that have moved and forgot to tell us about their pioneer status.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby James on Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 pm

huh2? wrote:
James wrote:... at least 25% of our first 1000 customers.

That is pretty impressive after 13 years.
Don't know if I am in that first 1000 or not - initial 12 month contract for adsl1 started ~23/4/2004.

Unfortunately, I am about to give money to someone else so I can try out a 50/20 connection.

email me your details I'd look into putting you on a legacy 50 plan.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby huh2? on Fri May 12, 2017 2:01 pm

James wrote:email me your details I'd look into putting you on a legacy 50 plan.

Thanks James, appreciate that, email sent.
huh2?

Postby trev on Mon May 29, 2017 5:24 pm

James wrote:Hi Trev,

Very sorry to hear about this, if you want to send me your service number, I can have our CTO investigate your particular case tomorrow and resolve it very quickly.

Hi James,

I truly appreciate your offer - I should note for the record that since giving the 30 days notice to cancel my services, the PPP session has only dropped out once in the wee small hours over the coures of 28 days. Go figure.

Having the luxury of a FTTP NTD, I took the opportunity to use every one of the four ports and trial a number of other RSPs on monthly plans and free trials and have ultimately decided to go with another RSP. It wasn't a speed issue, Exetel has always delivered. What swayed me in the end was their local Australian support who impressed me in the course of setting up a static IPv4 and reverse DNS record.

I wish you and Exetel all the best for the future,
TREV.
trev

Previous

Return to Customer reviews