Strange Billing on mobile plan

Comments and posts about your experience with Exetel
jumpslashtechnique

Strange Billing on mobile plan

Post by jumpslashtechnique » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 am

Hi,

I'd like to ask if anyone has had some strange billing on their mobile plan?

I've been billed excess charges for the previous month. According to exetel none of the data should be free from a social network. This is pretty unlikely, I use my phone for a fair bit of social networking. I think I've been overcharged as a result.

Has anyone else had this experience? Were you able to successfully dispute or clarify it?

Thanks very much for any comment.

Here's the details of the bill that I'm disputing. I've contacted Exetel by email and got an automatically generated response.

Qty. Usage Total Units Usage Value Over Charge / Remaining Value
Data Usage 168 sessions 1,763.90MB $72.57
Free Usage From Social Network 5 sessions 0.08MB $0.00
Total: (Last Update: 31st Jul 2015 20:18:45) 1,763.90MB $72.57 263.90MB Over Value

angelos
Exetel Staff

Re: Strange Billing on mobile plan

Post by angelos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:54 am

jumpslashtechnique wrote:Hi,

I'd like to ask if anyone has had some strange billing on their mobile plan?

I've been billed excess charges for the previous month. According to exetel none of the data should be free from a social network. This is pretty unlikely, I use my phone for a fair bit of social networking. I think I've been overcharged as a result.

Has anyone else had this experience? Were you able to successfully dispute or clarify it?

Thanks very much for any comment.

Here's the details of the bill that I'm disputing. I've contacted Exetel by email and got an automatically generated response.

Qty. Usage Total Units Usage Value Over Charge / Remaining Value
Data Usage 168 sessions 1,763.90MB $72.57
Free Usage From Social Network 5 sessions 0.08MB $0.00
Total: (Last Update: 31st Jul 2015 20:18:45) 1,763.90MB $72.57 263.90MB Over Value
Please PM me your Service Number (Mobile Number) so we could check this further for you.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 am

Received your PM.

It appears this has already been sent to our Billing team and they are looking into this. Your reference number for this case is 9364259.

Just give them some time to get back to you after investigations.

basshead

Post by basshead » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:25 pm

jumpslashtechnique wrote:Hi,

According to exetel none of the data should be free from a social network.
Don't you mean all of the data should be free from a social network?

I thought I was the only one with this problem... Now wondering if it's a billing glitch...

Brief background; recently upgraded from iPhone 4 to 5, with complete backup and restore (all same app's, data etc) to new iPhone 5. To use the new phone, I got the new nano-sim, and as a previous month's "call" usage had increased dramatically, I upgraded the plan to ExeSim Value around the same time (which still included 1GB of data as per my previous plan). Surprisingly, the data usage went through the roof (exceeded 90% of 1GB limit within 7 days). Some days were >200MB and one was up around 450MB. Most "data" usage is facebook, however the "free included social media" data counter stopped very early in the month, yet facebook and other social media app's (messenger, Instagram (not sure if included in the "free" data?)) were used extensively throughout the remainder of the month. I've checked which phone app's are set to Wi-Fi data only (ie: no mobile data) in an attempt to weed out the offending app (if there is one) but it doesn't appear to have made much difference. I had also checked to make sure app upgrades/downloads were wi-fi only (no change there). On one particular day, over 200MB of mobile data was added to the total, yet the phone didn't leave home (and would've used wifi data as it's set to use that as priority over mobile data). I do realise both upload and download data is counted to the monthly total on the new plans, but downloaded data is always considerably more than uploaded data. The previous month's data was only around 500MB "free" and around 500MB billable data usage; older months were around the same (ie: I've never had to worry about getting anywhere near the 1GB limit for the plan I was on).

I initially contacted residential support a few weeks ago asking if they were able to identify the app causing so much data usage but they can't (or wont).

Does anyone know if the "facebook" app needs to be used in order for the data to tally onto the "free" data, or can it be through a browser (or vice-versa)?

Has anyone else had similar spike in data on their plan?

Shukri
Exetel Staff

Post by Shukri » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 am

Don't you mean all of the data should be free from a social network?

I thought I was the only one with this problem... Now wondering if it's a billing glitch...

Brief background; recently upgraded from iPhone 4 to 5, with complete backup and restore (all same app's, data etc) to new iPhone 5. To use the new phone, I got the new nano-sim, and as a previous month's "call" usage had increased dramatically, I upgraded the plan to ExeSim Value around the same time (which still included 1GB of data as per my previous plan). Surprisingly, the data usage went through the roof (exceeded 90% of 1GB limit within 7 days). Some days were >200MB and one was up around 450MB. Most "data" usage is facebook, however the "free included social media" data counter stopped very early in the month, yet facebook and other social media app's (messenger, Instagram (not sure if included in the "free" data?)) were used extensively throughout the remainder of the month. I've checked which phone app's are set to Wi-Fi data only (ie: no mobile data) in an attempt to weed out the offending app (if there is one) but it doesn't appear to have made much difference. I had also checked to make sure app upgrades/downloads were wi-fi only (no change there). On one particular day, over 200MB of mobile data was added to the total, yet the phone didn't leave home (and would've used wifi data as it's set to use that as priority over mobile data). I do realise both upload and download data is counted to the monthly total on the new plans, but downloaded data is always considerably more than uploaded data. The previous month's data was only around 500MB "free" and around 500MB billable data usage; older months were around the same (ie: I've never had to worry about getting anywhere near the 1GB limit for the plan I was on).

I initially contacted residential support a few weeks ago asking if they were able to identify the app causing so much data usage but they can't (or wont).

Does anyone know if the "facebook" app needs to be used in order for the data to tally onto the "free" data, or can it be through a browser (or vice-versa)?

Has anyone else had similar spike in data on their plan?
Please PM your service number, So we can check and update you accordingly.

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:46 pm

My mistake - I thought I saw the ExeSIM Value plan included free social media, but I was wrong. Just as well I've already upgraded to the ExeSIM Plus with 3GB of data.

Thanks Exetel for the phone call clarifying the plan and pointing out my mistake.

What hasn't been resolved is the one day >200MB of data was accumulated when the phone was at home (using wifi). I guess I'll have to just put that down to perhaps the ADSL line being down, and the mobile reverting to mobile data instead of wifi data (although I'm not sure if the mobile is smart enough to realise no data is going through wifi as wifi would've still been activated on the modem even if the PPP light is off).

jumpslashtechnique

Post by jumpslashtechnique » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Exetel are claiming that in the month of August I used only 8 bytes of free social media access. Clearly this is a ridiculous assertion. They are billing me for excess usage. I am leaving exetel for TPG.

NIrmitha
Exetel Staff

Post by NIrmitha » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:01 pm

jumpslashtechnique wrote:Re: Strange Billing on mobile plan

Post by jumpslashtechnique on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 pm
Exetel are claiming that in the month of August I used only 8 bytes of free social media access. Clearly this is a ridiculous assertion. They are billing me for excess usage. I am leaving exetel for TPG.
Please email us your service number (mobile number) to 'residentialsupport@exetel.com.au', so we could check this further.

basshead

Post by basshead » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:08 pm

I just noticed the ExeSim plans have changed but not sure when.

I recently upgraded two consecutive months from cheapest plan to mid, then Exesim Plus for $49/month and 3GB data, unlimited phone calls and SMS. I now notice the Exesim Plus is $39/month ($10 cheaper than I presently pay) and with double (6GB) data (still unlimited phone and SMS) and the middle plan is 2.5GB data for only $29/month.

When did the plans change, and what's the hidden catch if I switch back to the middle plan, which is closer to what I was originally paying around 6months ago?

And maybe another glitch - My November account shows zero data usage for November?

Also after being advised new plans (from several months ago, when I first posted in this thread) don't include free data for social media,(and hence why I upgraded to higher plans - twice) I have checked my last few month's usage and found there is still free data usage for social media (up to over 1GB in some months). So confused! Or were my plans changed to something different, like a mix of two plans?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:05 pm

basshead wrote:I just noticed the ExeSim plans have changed but not sure when.

I recently upgraded two consecutive months from cheapest plan to mid, then Exesim Plus for $49/month and 3GB data, unlimited phone calls and SMS. I now notice the Exesim Plus is $39/month ($10 cheaper than I presently pay) and with double (6GB) data (still unlimited phone and SMS) and the middle plan is 2.5GB data for only $29/month.

When did the plans change, and what's the hidden catch if I switch back to the middle plan, which is closer to what I was originally paying around 6months ago?

And maybe another glitch - My November account shows zero data usage for November?

Also after being advised new plans (from several months ago, when I first posted in this thread) don't include free data for social media,(and hence why I upgraded to higher plans - twice) I have checked my last few month's usage and found there is still free data usage for social media (up to over 1GB in some months). So confused! Or were my plans changed to something different, like a mix of two plans?
I have emailed your queries to our sales department. They will update you accordingly.

basshead

Post by basshead » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I got a call yesterday afternoon, explaining and verifying my current and new plans. Thanks for the quick service, Exetel!