What the heck did they do when they did maintenance on 11/11

Comments and posts about your experience with Exetel
Dr.Gerry

What the heck did they do when they did maintenance on 11/11

Post by Dr.Gerry » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Anybody else having trouble with their NBN connection (mine is wireless) since Exetel performed network maintenance on November 11? I had been extremely happy with my Exetel NBN service prior to this - the connection was always rock solid and the speed was consistently good (25/5 NBN Wireless), but the afternoon of November 11, after the network maintenance, my connection slowed markedly. To be honest I didn't think a whole lot of it for a couple of days, until it got worse. I did some speed tests and I was getting consistent 2Mb down, 16Mb up.......yes, that's not backwards - those were the speeds I was getting. I wrote to Exetel support to report the problem. I received the usual "can you please do a PPP connection blah blah blah.....download 6 ISO files at once from one of our servers", which doesn't really count as a real world internet test as far as I am concerned, and sent the info back to them. The next day I rang to see how my issue was progressing, and was told it had been escalated to Exetel's supplier. The next day my Internet connection just went away.......I can't even load the Speedtest.net web site to do a test - it gets halfway through loading the page and then just stops. I can't even get to Google. I am currently connected via my phone's hotspot - that's been the only way I can get an internet connection for the last few days.

Looks like there's going to be more to-ing and fro-ing before this one gets resolved. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: What the heck did they do when they did maintenance on 1

Post by Dazzled » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:27 pm

I hope the issue is resolved soon.

However there is a reason for the simultaneous download of several large files - it is a good speed test available for ordinary home machines - it floods your local capacity, and you don't have to worry about what goes on far away. Speed tests using your ISP servers use the backhaul as well. Speed tests from external sites always add extra hops to the picture.

Dr.Gerry

Post by Dr.Gerry » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks Dazzled. That makes sense - I'd never thought of it that way, My apologies to Exetel. Now I just need to get my service working again (I am still on my phone's hotspot)...grrr!

Dr.Gerry

Post by Dr.Gerry » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Looks like I owe Exetel an apology. I had a very helpful person (Sumudu) on the phone last week for about an hour. He went above and beyond the call of duty to determine that the problem definitely wasn't with Exetel, it was an NBN problem related to the maintenance they had done. He referred the problem on to the NBN people last Friday, and today we are back up and running. And I'm very happy to report that we are getting a good solid 22 Megabits on the download. So thanks Exetel. Sorry for casting aspersions on you, but my faith is restored, and once again I will tell all my friends and colleagues what a great service you are providing.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Dr.Gerry wrote:Looks like I owe Exetel an apology. I had a very helpful person (Sumudu) on the phone last week for about an hour. He went above and beyond the call of duty to determine that the problem definitely wasn't with Exetel, it was an NBN problem related to the maintenance they had done. He referred the problem on to the NBN people last Friday, and today we are back up and running. And I'm very happy to report that we are getting a good solid 22 Megabits on the download. So thanks Exetel. Sorry for casting aspersions on you, but my faith is restored, and once again I will tell all my friends and colleagues what a great service you are providing.
We appreciate and thank you for your valuable feedback. I will definitely pass your compliment to the support engineer Sumudu.