ACT outage, why?

Comments and posts about your experience with Exetel
AngusCS

ACT outage, why?

Post by AngusCS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Can somebody please tell me why it is that a single fibre break on Northbourne Avenue in Canberra, had meant that I am without internet since Friday midday?

How is it that Exetel had only one bearer into Canberra? Do you not have redundant links? Not a great service, (just saying), I would expect better.
Great Scott, It'll end in tears!

James
Exetel Staff

Re: ACT outage, why?

Post by James » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:11 pm

We have redundant IP transit, and peering links to other datacentres, however there is only one NBN link, impacting us and others in the area.

blytz

Post by blytz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 pm

James,

that might be the case with regards to the backhaul but it's a transmission card issue, could you shed any light on that.

And could you please light a fire under someone on the supplier end to start giving your call centre (and forum team) ETA on repair work.

My stance would be if I drop my car off for repair work, the mechanic tells me how much it'll cost and roughly how long it will take (I am aware as residential customers we have no SLA, but I assume there have been corporate customers potentially affected by this who do have SLA's and would be demanding time frames for repair work)

Your suppliers aren't giving the staff any information which is poor communication on the supplier behalf.

Note - I don't blame Exetel for this, I blame the supplier, but I can't talk (yell) at them, so I'll politely talk to you instead

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

It took a while to diagnose the fault, this was outside of our network, so it was up to the transmission provider to diagnose.

No corporate customers were impacted by this outage.