Understanding Exetel's MRTG Report Information

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Understanding Exetel's MRTG Report Information

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 pm

There have been an increasing number of email and ticket communications from customers who don't understand the information provided to them in the User Facilities MRTG charts.

The most common one is "Why doesn't Exetel buy more bandwidth because the "XYZ' link has now reached capacity".

Another common statement by inexperienced people is "All I can see is usage increasing but no more bandwidth being bought".

Exetel (as at 5/5/10) deploys over 8 gbps of IP and another 8 gbps of customer connectivity bandwidth around Australia.

1) Reading Annual Graphs

These statements are often based on a new/inexperienced user looking at the yearly graphs and seeing that they have a line that trends upwards from 12 months ago to near the top for the current month. Many of those enquirers think that Exetel has "used up all its capacity over the past 12 months" (an often written comment).

All that these annual graphs really show is how much Exetel has increased the bandwidth on that link over the past 12 months. Exetel provisions links to approximately 90% of their peak time usage before upgrading them which is a monthly occurrence for most links.

What the annual graphs show is what the peak time capacity was 12 months ago and what it is now.

2) Reading Monthly Graphs

Again, these graphs show whether average usage is increasing towards the total amount of provisioned bandwidth. They have to be read in conjunction with the notation of how much bandwidth has been provisioned on that link; note the fact that an MRTG report automatically scales to to actual maximum used - not the maximum amount provisioned.

3) Reading Weekly Graphs

These graphs are useful to a customer in showing them what days/times of days are used most heavily and should be used for scheduling P2P downloads so that the lightest off peak times are used to maximise P2P download speeds.

4) Reading Daily Graphs

These graphs are most useful if you experience problems so that before you call Exetel or raise a ticket you can see if there is a problem with capacity or whether the link has an outage.

Please remember that MRTG automatically scales to the maximum usage not to the provided capacity. The provided capacity is noted on the link to the individual MRTG reports.

Exetel's policy has been, since February 2004, to constantly upgrade all links to ensure that peak time customer demands never reach congestion. This has resulted in a network that has been progressively upgraded, each month/multiple times a month from 10 mbps in February 2004 to over 8.0 gbps in May 2010.

To understand to what and how you are connected we suggest you familiarise yourself with the Exetel network a diagram of which can be found here:

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/images/network.jpeg

stormx

Re: Understanding Exetel's MRTG Report Information

Post by stormx » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Defiantly looks like some network changes have been made and the result looks pretty good, as I can see from the MRTG information last night, the bandwidth broke a record, I believe it got to 2.5GBPS instead of hovering around 2.2GBPS.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

stormx wrote:Defiantly looks like some network changes have been made and the result looks pretty good, as I can see from the MRTG information last night, the bandwidth broke a record, I believe it got to 2.5GBPS instead of hovering around 2.2GBPS.
As I have tried to explain above, the value of the yearly graph (on any link) is simply to show the overall rate of increease in bandwidth over twelve months on that particular link.

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 am

What does the + after a bandwidth value in the title mean?

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:23 am

I would suggest that a simple common sense explanation would be that Exetel have an arrangement with their suppliers that allows a temporary increase up to a defined undisclosed amount in the bandwidth paid for in case it is required for "unplaaned" usage prior to the next "official" purchase of bandwidth.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 pm

sable wrote:I would suggest that a simple common sense explanation would be that Exetel have an arrangement with their suppliers that allows a temporary increase up to a defined undisclosed amount in the bandwidth paid for in case it is required for "unplaaned" usage prior to the next "official" purchase of bandwidth.
That's what it means.