P2P Improvements

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
gregando

Re: P2P Improvements

Post by gregando » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:36 pm

It seems to me that a lot of people here don't understand that the bit torrent data transfer model is a very unstable one. There are many things that will affect your download performance and only a fraction of that is something Exetel has any control over. Some of the many things are:

1. The way Exetel Prioritises / Limits BT traffic (it is likely that are getting this right now)
2. The ability of your ADSL Modem to handle a large number of connections at once (especially for older modems)
3. The number of available peers
4. The settings of those peers (IE whether they are connectable at all, whether they limit their upload speeds, whether they leech (ie hit and run)) Dont even bother complaining if you are on a public tracker, next to no one seeds, and the few that do have to feed a massive number of users. You will always get slow torrents on these.
5. The performance of your own computer, and other settings that can affect your traffic (encryption, port forward from a router, other firewalls).

P2P is very hit and miss. If some Exetel users are hitting excellent speeds as our Friend Yoshi has been (and I can verify his speeds) then it very likely that something on your end is amiss. Why dont you let one of us come over for a day and see how much we can pull through your connection :twisted:

I guess what I am trying to say here, is pretend that you have no suspicion that Exetels connection has any problems. Google is your friend...see what you can do to improve the performance from all the other possible points, I am sure there is a plethora of information out there...

jskf01

Post by jskf01 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 am

mmmmm ok i have been dloading abt 2-3 gigs every night now and i have yet to hit the cache. does anyone have any experience as to if they have hit the cache or care to PM what they were actually dloading that hit the cache? Thanks
Also anyone has any idea what is actually stored in the cache so we can actually hit it.Its abit pointless if we dont know whats in it and its just sitting there just my thoughts thanks:)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:07 am

jskf01 wrote:mmmmm ok i have been dloading abt 2-3 gigs every night now and i have yet to hit the cache. does anyone have any experience as to if they have hit the cache or care to PM what they were actually dloading that hit the cache? Thanks
Also anyone has any idea what is actually stored in the cache so we can actually hit it.Its abit pointless if we dont know whats in it and its just sitting there just my thoughts thanks:)
The cache is completely transparent and completely dynamic. It simply intercepts requests for packets that are popular at the time of request and serves them directly instead of allowing the remote peer to do it. There is no way to ensure you hit the cache (1. because the network topology might prevent it if you are in Vic or Qld and 2. because only a small percentage of the data downloaded will ever be cached), there is no list of what is in the cache (because it is completely automatic and dynamic) and even if you did hit the cache, you may not notice it (because it is transparent, containing the IP address of the remote host and the speed boost you receive might only be on some of your packet requests).

Either way, you do not *have* to hit the cache. The cache's primary aim is not to yield higher speeds (though this is a nice by-product), but to reduce the cost of bandwidth to Exetel and alleviate congestion caused by remote P2P requests. 2-3Gb per night should be plenty.

jskf01

Post by jskf01 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:36 am

first of all i am in nsw and thing is when i used to hit the cache i would get the 1mb/s speeds whereas i havent got that for a long time now. 2-3 gigs is all good its jkust that it would be good if it didnt have to take so long to dload thats all im worried about

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:57 pm

If you are using MS Windows to P2P you will need to understand that you may be limited to just ten (10) TCP/IP connections.

Quite frankly, as a network operating system MS Windows sucks. :!:

If you're not worried about breaking your Windows OS, you can increase the maximum number of TCP/IP connections. You'll have to Google it because I don't remember the site and really couldn't be bothered with people who complain about things they don't understand.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:20 pm

austdata wrote:If you are using MS Windows to P2P you will need to understand that you may be limited to just ten (10) TCP/IP connections.
Open a command prompt and type netstat -a and see how many Windows resources are already listening for or active with TCP/IP connections, plenty already I'd bet

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 pm

austdata wrote:If you are using MS Windows to P2P you will need to understand that you may be limited to just ten (10) TCP/IP connections.

If you're not worried about breaking your Windows OS, you can increase the maximum number of TCP/IP connections. You'll have to Google it because I don't remember the site and really couldn't be bothered with people who complain about things they don't understand.
I used to think this too, but it is an incorrect myth. (for example, read http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php? ... 89#p194553 or http://thatstupidclub.com/blogs/loser-x ... -myth.aspx). P2P should be able to function at high speeds without tweaking the default options or replacing TCPIP.SYS

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Cheers,

Mike
The connection limit is actually a limit to connections in a specific 'opening' state. After they are opened, the connection changes state to "established" - of course, until the transfer from that peer is finished, in which case, it'll need to connect to a new peer and start the process all over again. This simply emphasises the importance of having applications configured to connect correctly. Changing from Opening to Established depends on how fast the remote node 'accepts and nails up the connection', in many cases this should only be a few ms.
It's design is to 'reduce' worm propagation, it's a poor decision in my opinion, user education would have been a better method of reducing worm propagation.
They took the 'limit' stance and went even further 'limiting computing experience' by also interupting actions in Windows Vista.

You won't get fast speeds if you have your upload is saturated. Any attempts going out to connect will get choked by any other data transfer at the same time, therefore reducing downstream speeds. You might want to upload, but limit the outgoing traffic to something reasonable, allowing room for the requests to go out to 'request incoming data'. I believe 80% is the ideal maximum before everything else will slow down as a result.
You won't get fast speeds if you try and connect to a thousands of people at once, when your connection simply can't handle that many outgoing connections.

If you set reasonable values, you should get ideal performance. If you set them very high, or very low, the application will expect the wrong performance of the connection, and therefore deliver poor performance.

Encryption is a topic also widely covered - it's best to have it 'off' if you want to take advantage of any caching effects. Encrypting the traffic will simply cause the traffic to go past the netenforcer, and be classified in a 'suspect P2P' pool, and be shaped appropriately. Despite the claimed belief across the internet, encryption is not likely to speed the data delivered. In Exetel's network, I think it's likely to do the opposite.