Exetel No Longer Offers New 256/64 ADSL1 Plans

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Exetel No Longer Offers New 256/64 ADSL1 Plans

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm

We are removing the ability for new users to apply for 256/64 ADSL1 plans as from today.

Current Exetel users who are on any version of an ADSL1 256/64 plan will not be affected and that speed will continued to be offered for all current Exetel users or for new users who have already applied for a 256/64 plan.

Our reasons for making this change are:

1) We believe the cost of offering low speed ADSL1 plans in the future may increase to the point it makes them uneconomical for Exetel to provide them.

2) We believe HSPA offers speeds that average 3 to 4 times faster at two thirds of the cost for a user who downloads less than 1 gigabyte a month which is over 85% of our 256/64 plan users.

Depending on what we find out over the next 2 days we may well withdraw the 512 plans for new users - again - no current user or applicant would be affected.

vk3xem

Re: Exetel No Longer Offers New 256/64 ADSL1 Plans

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Depending on what we find out over the next 2 days we may well withdraw the 512 plans for new users - again - no current user or applicant would be affected.
I can certainly understand that most people on 256k plans would not use much data and the HSPA plans would more than suffice. But I would expect that not to be quite the same ratios for 512k users and I don't think the HSPA plans compare with the download quotas.

I Exetel in discussions with Tel$tra for access to ADSL2+? This could certainly change the value of plans!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Col

Post by Col » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 pm

It's quite bold of Exetel to be not offering 256k and possibly 512k when the ADSL1 market is still going strong.. and I would imagine that the plans on those speeds would be some of the most profitable. I understand that you are trying to make people move to the Exetel HSPA service, which is cheaper for 90% or so of Exetel's 256k customers, but the truth of the matter is that the coverage isn't that great yet. Perhaps in a few months, possibly, but only if Optus doesn't delay the rollout like Vodafone has recently done. Even then there will be blackspots where people will need a physical line to get internet. I personally would bring back TELA but keep that notice in the plans table about HSPA.

Is it a deliberate loophole that people could sign up to a 1500/256 plan or something and then downgrade their plan to a 256/64 one in the User Facilities for $25?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Col wrote:Is it a deliberate loophole that people could sign up to a 1500/256 plan or something and then downgrade their plan to a 256/64 one in the User Facilities for $25?
My guess is if you aren't on an Exetel 256k plan now, you won't get on one. But like you said Optus coverage needs ramping up, which is the only reason I haven't ported my Vodafone/Exetel plan to the new HSPA plan.

Hopefully Exetel have something up their sleeve like reselling Tel$tra's ADSL2+! :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm

vk3xem wrote:
Col wrote:
1)Is it a deliberate loophole that people could sign up to a 1500/256 plan or something and then downgrade their plan to a 256/64 one in the User Facilities for $25?
2)My guess is if you aren't on an Exetel 256k plan now, you won't get on one. But like you said Optus coverage needs ramping up, which is the only reason I haven't ported my Vodafone/Exetel plan to the new HSPA plan.

3)Hopefully Exetel have something up their sleeve like reselling Tel$tra's ADSL2+! :D
1) We will remove the ability to select 256 plans from the user facilities - there is no 'loop hole'.

2)If that's your perception (that the Vodafone 3G network is superior to Optus, I think you're mistaken but each person will make their own judgments.

3) Exetel's future plans are based on not buying services from Telstra - after 4 and and a half years we cannot find any basis for dealing sensibly with that company; undoubtedly that's the fault of our tiny company - I look forward to a time when I never have to hear the word "Telstra" -in any sense that is directly related to Exetel

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Col wrote:It's quite bold of Exetel to be not offering 256k and possibly 512k when the ADSL1 market is still going strong.. and I would imagine that the plans on those speeds would be some of the most profitable. I understand that you are trying to make people move to the Exetel HSPA service, which is cheaper for 90% or so of Exetel's 256k customers, but the truth of the matter is that the coverage isn't that great yet. Perhaps in a few months, possibly, but only if Optus doesn't delay the rollout like Vodafone has recently done. Even then there will be blackspots where people will need a physical line to get internet. I personally would bring back TELA but keep that notice in the plans table about HSPA.

Is it a deliberate loophole that people could sign up to a 1500/256 plan or something and then downgrade their plan to a 256/64 one in the User Facilities for $25?
I think the coverage is very good - and it will continue to get better.

I think that Telstra will make it difficult for Exetel to continue to offer ADSL1 plans in the future and therefore we will need to plan for an "ADSL1-less" future.

Maybe that won't happen but we think it's prudent to reduce our exposure to a rapacious competitor.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:2)If that's your perception (that the Vodafone 3G network is superior to Optus, I think you're mistaken but each person will make their own judgements.
I don't doubt Optus may well have a better overall coverage, it's just I have no Optus service where I live at present. Optus recently commissioned a cell in the Healesville township near my place and there are negotiations in progress with Optus to set up a cell to cover the Healesville Sanctuary, if that goes through I will finally be able to port my number from Exetel to Exetel. :lol:
ForumAdmin wrote:3) Exetel's future plans are based on not buying services from telstra - after 4 and and a half years we cannot find any basis for deaing sensibly with that company; undoubtely that's the fault of our tiny company - I look forward to a time when I never have to hear the word "Telstra" -in any sense that is directly related to Exetel
I look forward to that also, but the only way I see ADSL2+ services covering most of Australia is for the Government to have the balls to step up to Tel$tra and split them in two and take control of infrastructure. Unfortunately I don't think they will go down that path and we will continue to have small fragmented ADSL2+ networks popping up for the lucky few.

I am certainly not taking a dig at Exetel, I still say this is the BEST ISP I have ever dealt with and the philosophy of continually developing and improving services. Luckily I am on a generous 1500 plan and the possible dropping of 512 plans won't directly affect me, but I trust Exetel will find suitable alternatives for a replacement to 512 as they have with HSPA replacing the 256.

Keep up the good work guys! :D

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:29 am

I notice that a competitor in the small ISP market has recently done a similar step - their 512/128 plans actually being cancelled and merged with the 1500/256 (similar price IF you bundle your line rental, and with MUCH lower quotas). But regardless of what speeds are offered, I hope Exetel retains a low-mid $30s price with a multiple download quota (even if it is 4/4 not 4/48). Families without teenagers and non-techies rarely need the 48Gb, and the "other" mob is offering 5Gb (total) with off-peak being counted at 50% so a total of "up to 7.5Gb a month"), so the 4/4 (total 8) is better and not requiring the rental bundling, leaving open the HomeLine Budget opportunity.

BTW shouldn't the HomeLine Budget be promoted as another reason to get VoIP? "Save 10 on your line rental AND significantly lower the costs of your calls". I've had a customer switch from "that other mob" (above) and will save around $18 a month by using HomeLine Budget and VoIP when their actual internet charge hasn't changed (and they already had VoIP, but at $15 a month unlimited calling yet they'll still save around $18 in total each month).

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 am

peterh_oz wrote:I notice that a competitor in the small ISP market has recently done a similar step - their 512/128 plans actually being cancelled and merged with the 1500/256 (similar price IF you bundle your line rental, and with MUCH lower quotas). But regardless of what speeds are offered, I hope Exetel retains a low-mid $30s price with a multiple download quota (even if it is 4/4 not 4/48). Families without teenagers and non-techies rarely need the 48Gb, and the "other" mob is offering 5Gb (total) with off-peak being counted at 50% so a total of "up to 7.5Gb a month"), so the 4/4 (total 8) is better and not requiring the rental bundling, leaving open the HomeLine Budget opportunity.

BTW shouldn't the HomeLine Budget be promoted as another reason to get VoIP? "Save 10 on your line rental AND significantly lower the costs of your calls". I've had a customer switch from "that other mob" (above) and will save around $18 a month by using HomeLine Budget and VoIP when their actual internet charge hasn't changed (and they already had VoIP, but at $15 a month unlimited calling yet they'll still save around $18 in total each month).
Right now there is no viable alternative to ADSL1/512k for downloads above 4 gigabytes.

If we can, somehow, find a non-ADSL1 alternative that will provide 3 - 4 gb at $40.00 then we will pursue that opportunity. An immediate 'solution' is to simply re-sell the Optus $39.00 for 5 gb 'bundle' but........there are very strong reasons why we didn't do that.

This is a very difficult business and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier any time soon.

In terms of the homeline budget - yes - you're probably right we should give it more prominence but......again.....there are strong reasons why we shouldn't do that. Why wouldn't some sensible person just buy a mobile plan as a standby and use HSPA/VoIP rather than using VoIP and having the 'safety' of a Telstra land line?

We have to get rid of the concept that broadband means a telephone line based service.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have to get rid of the concept that broadband means a telephone line based service.
I agree with this to a point, but mobile phone based HSPA isn't the long term answer, especially for large data usage like many of us make use of on our ADSL accounts. Even if the price of HSPA were to match the cost of ADSL bandwidth will become the issue, GSM/3G capacitity is limited and if everyone were to migrate completely it would collapse under the strain.

The low end user can greatly benefit from HSPA and a combined package for heavier users that want access on the move is the best option for the foreseeable future.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Country Bumkin

Post by Country Bumkin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm

ForumAdmin wrote..
2) We believe HSPA offers speeds that average 3 to 4 times faster at two thirds of the cost for a user who downloads less than 1 gigabyte a month which is over 85% of our 256/64 plan users.
Have you put a random sample of the addresses of these users into the Optus coverage checker to estimate what proportion will have 3G available in a reasonable time ?

Given the congestion on the Optus network the engineering case for off peak usage is compelling (and Optus have long encouraged it with their 'Freetime' promotions), is there a reason that several Gb of off peak low cost data is not an option ?

Regards C Bumkin

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Country Bumkin wrote:ForumAdmin wrote..
Have you put a random sample of the addresses of these users into the Optus coverage checker to estimate what proportion will have 3G available in a reasonable time ?

Given the congestion on the Optus network the engineering case for off peak usage is compelling (and Optus have long encouraged it with their 'Freetime' promotions), is there a reason that several Gb of off peak low cost data is not an option ?

Regards C Bumkin
What congestion would that be?

Country Bumkin

Post by Country Bumkin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 pm

What congestion would that be?
The congestion indicated by...
national media coverage of customer complaints.
Optus withdrawal of the Wireless fusion plans
Optus substantially increasing the prices of prepaid data. eg http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21036/1103/

Additionally a shared voice-data network will have a poor utilsation in the early morning so there is an opportunity for automated data transfers to add revenue for no extra cost. Very similar to the reasons Exetel offers 48Gb of off peak data

Regards C Bumkin

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Sorry to see the old 256/64 go. That plan got me out of dialup hell....thanks Exetel.
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn