Modification To 'Shaping' Option

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Legend

Re: Modification To 'Shaping' Option

Post by Legend » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:22 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
trev12 wrote:i like the idea but have 2 concerns, 1 and it happen to me last month what happens if u ask for shaped and u are not 3 times i called to ask why i was getting full speed as i should be shape. 2 what happens say if u go over your off peak limit but still have plenty of peak limit left is exetel going to unshaped u every day ?
By the sound of it, it is 2Gb from the moment you click "accept" on the blocked page. Also, the peak and off-peak are independently metered and independently shaped. So yes: you get unshaped every 12 hours if your have not exceeded one of your peak or off-peak quota.
I thought this was the case but I just got blocked with this message:
"You have been temporarily blocked from accessing your internet service because you have elected to use the 'Shaped' option for the period [ 12 Midnight to 12 Noon ] on 30/11/2008

This means that you have a further 2 gigabytes of downloads to use between now and 12 midnight on the last day of this calendar month."
Assuming I had 10GB of my peak quota left, this message indicates that I wouldn't be able to use at least 8GB of it because I've exceeded the off-peak quota. That doesn't seem right.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:51 am

Legend wrote:
This means that you have a further 2 gigabytes of downloads to use between now and 12 midnight on the last day of this calendar month."
Assuming I had 10GB of my peak quota left, this message indicates that I wouldn't be able to use at least 8GB of it because I've exceeded the off-peak quota. That doesn't seem right.
It isn't.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Peak (pm hours) and off-peak (am hours) are treated separately - you should read the statement as
This means that you have a further 2 gigabytes of downloads to use during this period between now and 12 midnight on the last day of this calendar month.
Of course, if you exceed the allowance in both periods then you should read the statement as
This means that you have a further 2 gigabytes of downloads to use during these periods between now and 12 midnight on the last day of this calendar month.
or similar.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Legend

Post by Legend » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:20 pm

If that's the case then all is fine. Thanks.

Damn the abusers for causing all this confusion.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Legend wrote:If that's the case then all is fine. Thanks.

Damn the abusers for causing all this confusion.
However it reduced the 'abuse' to zero and made the experience of every other Exetel user more pleasant.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm

I have the shaping option set for both periods. I am well under in peak (57%) but just edged over this morning in off peak - 48038 (my maths was off slightly for what I had scheduled overnight). I was a little surprised this afternoon, however, when I logged on and received the blocked page. I hadn't realised the blocked page came up in the "other" period. There was no issue as the unblock worked as advertised.

Thanks for the safety net and the consistently great service!
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

flak

Post by flak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm

The first Whirlpool complaint of being charged for a shaped account has been posted here.

Amusing...