Modification To 'Shaping' Option

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Peleus

Re: Modification To 'Shaping' Option

Post by Peleus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:41 pm

FA -

I'd say that this is a reasonable compromise to the problem you're experiencing, considering that our preferred option for everyone (I'm sure probably yourself as well) is unavailable, that being proper shaping of all traffic.

With that said, can you please address some issues, mainly the following

1- Is it possible to have the block pages displayed each month?
I can't think of many / any downsides for you doing this. It would be an automated process, so your costs don't rise from it. Your customers win because they aren't in a no man's land between what period they have / haven't entered. Also this eliminates the biggest problem people have with your proposal at the moment, which is they could be unknowingly* stung with excess usage fee's.

2- Does the block up page stop all forms of traffic such as P2P?
Again people's main paranoia - and criticism, come from overrunning this 'buffer' period due to poor usage meter updates or shaping time frames. When it's said that these things are meant to be in place by the ISP, I start thinking more towards it's not their fault rather solely the customers responsibility.

*It is the customer's responsibility to monitor usage, I concede that point, however ISPs can help out on the customer service side of things by simply actions such as the block page.

Again, I have no problem with having only a 2gb buffer, because we both agree on what our 'shaped' usage charge is meant to be used for. An emergency overflow for when we get a little to frisky downloading data. The only thing I wish in it's place is a clearly defined boarder between "this is you're usage" to "you're going to get charged here". For the first month this seems to be in place with your block page (pending p2p results), but why not continue it?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Having been a customer for many eons and probably reading every post ever made on this Forum, I think Exetel is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea with respect with having the block page display (at the appropriate time) every month. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't - for every customer who is grateful for the advice, there are probably more customers who whinge vociferously at being blocked, no matter that it's for their own good. I can understand therefore why Exetel decided to take the "block once" approach.

Having said that, they always listen to sensible feedback and may well modify their approach as a result.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

LordS

Post by LordS » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Maybe have it as an elect in option to display the block page every month?

Does the block page block anything, or does it just redirect web traffic to a set web page?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:21 pm

LordS wrote:Maybe have it as an elect in option to display the block page every month?

Does the block page block anything, or does it just redirect web traffic to a set web page?
It blocks all use until you click on the release 'button'.

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Gidget wrote:Having been a customer for many eons and probably reading every post ever made on this Forum, I think Exetel is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea with respect with having the block page display (at the appropriate time) every month. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't - for every customer who is grateful for the advice, there are probably more customers who whinge vociferously at being blocked, no matter that it's for their own good. I can understand therefore why Exetel decided to take the "block once" approach.

Having said that, they always listen to sensible feedback and may well modify their approach as a result.

Gidget
I agree completely, however that's where simple effective methods can be used for those who want a service and those who don't. On the first month's page, have the option

"Check here to no longer see this block notification, you can turn this feature back on in your account options in the future if you wish"

For those who don't want to see the block page, they can click a option and never see it again, for those who want an effective "barrier" between shaped usage and fee based data also have their way.

I firmly believe simple, cheap, automatic options such as this have very little downside to Exetel in terms of cost, time and bandwidth, but goes a long way towards keeping their customer base onside, and turning a negative into a positive, or at least an amicable end.

The only downside I can think of for Exetel is they would not make as much money out of excess usage fee's, and I agree Exetel isn't here for charity. Its up to them as to whether they want to take this step which would perhaps cost them that way, however, it will still be a lot better result then their current situation with excess usage abuse.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:14 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
LordS wrote:Maybe have it as an elect in option to display the block page every month?

It blocks all use until you click on the release 'button'.

So it blocks voip too?

I guess that because the charge is per Gb OR PART THEREOF it would have to.

Regarding "other family members might not monitor" ... remember there are small programs you can download and install on EVERY computer which will monitor total usage for the account (not just for that computer) which will help you keep an eye on those other computers. There is one specifically for firefox, which can sit above your google-search box, and there is also a generic one for windows which can appear whenever you move your mouse to the top of your screen. For the firefox one, look for "usage meter" in the firefox addons, and for the non-firefox one, simply google "exetel usage meter" and you'll find both windows and mac versions.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:23 pm

peterh_oz wrote:For the firefox one, look for "usage meter" in the firefox addons, and for the non-firefox one, simply google "exetel usage meter" and you'll find both windows and mac versions.
You can also check the sticky threads at the top of the Usage Meter forum :D
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewforum.php?f=16

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 pm

FA - Any update on if you will introduce the option to get the warning each month?

Rex Nebular

Post by Rex Nebular » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:40 pm

"If you click on the acknowledgement above you will not be directed to this page again in future months". Acknowledgment should only have two Es :D
Last edited by Rex Nebular on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Peleus wrote:FA - Any update on if you will introduce the option to get the warning each month?
As far as I'm aware it's in operaton now.

I'll ask the person responsible to respond.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Peleus wrote:FA - Any update on if you will introduce the option to get the warning each month?
Only when you go over your download limit, the warning will display when you use internet. Then you have additional 2 GB download allowance under shaping.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Rex Nebular wrote:On this page, http://blocked.exetel.com.au/usage3.php , does it let you click Restore without clicking "I accept these charges"? I assume not.

It also says "If you click on the acknowledgement above you will not be directed to this page again in future months" but do you need to click ABOVE, there seems to be a restore button at the bottom of the page.
http://blocked.exetel.com.au/usage3.php is the demostration page only. It does not work, if you want to release from usage pool.

The is real site http://blocked.exetel.com.au/usage.php . The server will automatically redirect you this site, if you are blocked by usage warning.

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Great, thank you to everyone who made this decision, it's definitely a step forward. I've now got no problem with Exetel's shaping, well done (not that my opinion matters that much).

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:43 am

yeah i like that blocked page it lets users know exactly whats going on....

if u get this page will all downloading stop as well as p2p (torrents) ? until the next month or u restore the service.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:11 am

Yoshi_900 wrote:yeah i like that blocked page it lets users know exactly whats going on....

if u get this page will all downloading stop as well as p2p (torrents) ? until the next month or u restore the service.
Everything stops, the circuit is null routed.