Ongoing Network Developments

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Ongoing Network Developments

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 am

Those of you who bother to look at the network MRTG reports would have noticed that the total bandwidth used to deliver data to Exetel's customers regularly exceeded 3.6 gbps in the last half of November.

This is because of several changes that we have been making to the network over the past few months; the major ones being:

1) Building the capacity of the Melbourne and Brisbane PoPs in terms of direct IP feeds to Optus rather than trunking all traffic back to our Sydney PoP - we have increased this capacity by over 300 mbps over the last three months.

2) Increasing the Verizon IP feeds from 1.5 gbps to 1.9 gbps over the same period. This is now the limit of 2 x 1 gbps cross connects to and from Verizon and we will need 10 gbps links early next year to continue to increase the Verizon capacity.

3) Getting much better performance from the Akamai and PeerApp caches which are now delivering a combined 700 mbps of additional bandwidth in peak times.

4) New versions of the Allot software are providing much better control over P2P traffic allowing us to refine the controls which in turn allow us to reduce the restrictions both in 'severity' and for much less time during the day.

It seems a very long time ago now that we activated our first ADSL user in early February 2004 with 10 mbps of IP bandwidth in a single rack with two Cisco 7506 routers and 2 servers in it.

jayday

Re: Ongoing Network Developments

Post by jayday » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:04 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:43 pm

jayday wrote:I must admit that’s a lot of bandwidth, I saw in Steve's blog a while back that the Perth pop had no feed off the Sydney supplier or P2P cache, if my memory serves me right I think he was thinking of ideas on how to connect it to the Sydney PoP for better connectivity purposes due to the additional facilities like the P2P cache instead of just running off the main T1 supplier over there, was anything for WA in the plans?
If you look at the diagram you will see that Perth has connectivity to WAIX, Direct IP to Optus and connection to Exetel Sydney.

jayday

Post by jayday » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 pm

The way i understand it (and im no network engineer so could be completely off track) The traffic would take the shortest path according to the routing protocols. If the path is shorter from say the USA to perth via sydney then for that connection you would have cache access and netenforcer bandwidth restrictions otherwise the connection would go via the local Perth link (probably most of the traffic) and like you said have neither cache or netenforcer.

I believe this is the same way the Melbourne POP works though i remember someone John/Steve stating (some time ago) that a significant amount of traffic destined to Melbourne comes from Sydney still. This could be due to the relativity close proximity Melbourne is to Sydney when compared to Perth.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:41 pm

ottyacat wrote:The way i understand it (and im no network engineer so could be completely off track) The traffic would take the shortest path according to the routing protocols. If the path is shorter from say the USA to perth via sydney then for that connection you would have cache access and netenforcer bandwidth restrictions otherwise the connection would go via the local Perth link (probably most of the traffic) and like you said have neither cache or netenforcer.

I believe this is the same way the Melbourne POP works though i remember someone John/Steve stating (some time ago) that a significant amount of traffic destined to Melbourne comes from Sydney still. This could be due to the relativity close proximity Melbourne is to Sydney when compared to Perth.
You're quite right.

BGP routing selects the shortest (least number of hops) distance to your selected source.

All international traffic goes through Sydney on Exetel's network (though I'm not 100% certain how Optus direct routes out of Perth - do a trace to check something specific).

jayday

Post by jayday » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omo|Perth

Post by Omo|Perth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:06 pm

Does Perth Terminate Optus ADSL2 Connections Yet

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 pm

Omo|Perth wrote:Does Perth Terminate Optus ADSL2 Connections Yet
No - at the moment only (Telstra) ADSL1 connections are terminated at the Perth PoP.

Both AAPT and Optus ADSL2 connections are terminated at Exetel's Sydney PoPs via the respective carrrier's ADSL2 networks.

Over the next five months Optus ADSL2 users wil be terminated at the 'local' State capital city PoPs (starting with VIC in February).

There are no current plans to terminate AAPT ADSL2 anywhere but in Sydney.

Omo|Perth

Post by Omo|Perth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:55 am

Was going to change.