VOIP Services That Don’t Make Calls

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

VOIP Services That Don’t Make Calls

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm

As you probably know Exetel provide a DID with each VoIP service we provide at no charge.

As we sell more and more services that include a no charge VoIP account plus a no charge DID there is a trend for people just to ‘sign up’ for an Exetel VoIP service and then not use it.

This costs us money and provides the customer with no benefit. This not a sensibe situation at any time but particularly silly in times of severe financial problems.

Therefore we are going to make a charge of $1.00 per month for the use of the VoIP service if no calls are made during any month. If even only one call is made then there will be no charge for the service.

If you are using the Exetel VoIP service you signed up for then this minor change will not affect you.

If you are not currently using the Exetel VoIP service then we suggest you visit the Exetel User Facilities before midnight on 31st January 2009 and cancel your VoIP service to avoid paying the $1.00 charge for a service you don’t use.

Archangel

Re: VOIP Services That Don’t Make Calls

Post by Archangel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Just to clarify something, when you say "no calls are made during the month", do you mean no outbound calls are made, or there are no outbound and inbound calls?
The reason why I'm asking for clarification is that currently I haven't made any outbound calls, but I do get inbound calls.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:49 pm

My take is that it is referring to "outbound" calls, that is, calls you make to others using your VOIP service (it is, after all, predominantly the cheap outbound calls that make a VOIP service attractive to customers).

I'm sure if I'm wrong, Forum Admin will be along to correct me :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Archangel wrote:Just to clarify something, when you say "no calls are made during the month", do you mean no outbound calls are made, or there are no outbound and inbound calls?
The reason why I'm asking for clarification is that currently I haven't made any outbound calls, but I do get inbound calls.
"No calls are made" would refer to you, the user of the service, not making any calls outbound.

Exetel make money (presumably a very small amount) when you make outbound calls, and that helps pay for the DID that was included in your plan. If you make no outbound calls, then Exetel still need to pay the rental for the DID, thus I;m guessing that's why they instituted the charge.

No carrier ever receives any money on inbound calls.

$1 per month if you don't make any calls is very cheap to rent a DID if all you use it for is inbound calls.

EDIT - took to long typing it up - Gidget beat me to it :):)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Klaas wrote:EDIT - took to long typing it up - Gidget beat me to it :):)
Ah yes, but your post has more detail :wink:
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

smaca

Post by smaca » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok,

I do understand where Forum Admin is coming from with this change, but I would like to understand how this would affect the Naked ADSL2+ plans - where 100 VOIP calls are included in the monthly plan charge.

I have to admit, that I would be lucky if I used a dozen of these calls a month and I would certainly never use 100, but if for some reason I didn't make any calls, then my monthly bill goes up by $1. Yet if I make one single call, my bill stays the same.

This leads me to my next question. Could I cancel the VOIP component of my Naked ADSL2+ plan and thereby reduce my monthly bill?
By my reckoning the VOIP costs are $1 for the DID plus $10 for the 100 VOIP calls (at $.010 each) - so a potential saving for me of $11. :D

Smaca

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:35 pm

Klaas wrote:
Archangel wrote:Just to clarify something, when you say "no calls are made during the month", do you mean no outbound calls are made, or there are no outbound and inbound calls?
"No calls are made" would refer to you, the user of the service, not making any calls outbound.

Exetel make money (presumably a very small amount) when you make outbound calls, and that helps pay for the DID that was included in your plan. If you make no outbound calls, then Exetel still need to pay the rental for the DID, thus I;m guessing that's why they instituted the charge.

No carrier ever receives any money on inbound calls.

$1 per month if you don't make any calls is very cheap to rent a DID if all you use it for is inbound calls.

EDIT - took to long typing it up - Gidget beat me to it :):)
Hmm... I will agree that $1 a month is a great deal for a DID, but I know that others wont be happy to be charged for something that was free beforehand (or any change to the ToC's...).
But like smaca said, there's no way even if I tried that I could do above 100 calls a month and thus be charged for it (unless the 100 free calls is just a once-off, which I suspect it is).

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Archangel wrote:Hmm... I will agree that $1 a month is a great deal for a DID, but I know that others wont be happy to be charged for something that was free beforehand (or any change to the ToC's...).
Good grief, is it that much of a hardship to make one free call (on a Naked service) a month? You can use a soft phone if you don't have an ATA (although as you currently receiving calls on the VOIP number you obviously have something already set up to receive them).
But like smaca said, there's no way even if I tried that I could do above 100 calls a month and thus be charged for it (unless the 100 free calls is just a once-off, which I suspect it is).
The 100 free calls are available every month.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Wow - I do 200 a calls a month without trying. Surely you don't live on your mobile?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Dazzled wrote:Surely you don't live on your mobile?
If so, perhaps he might be able to use VOIP on his mobile :D ?
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm a bit confused about this decision. If the issue is with DID allocations, then shouldn't it be based on "incoming" calls? Even if I make hundreds of outgoing calls I don't need a DID number allocated to me. If people are not receiving calls on VoIP then it would make sense to remove the DID allocation and just continue to allow outbound calls.

I guess it's not a major issue to make at least one outbound call a month, but if I'm away for more than 4 weeks (which can happen) then it seems a bit unfair to be charged for a service (even if it is only $1) which might be receiving many calls during that same period.
Dazzled wrote:Wow - I do 200 a calls a month without trying. Surely you don't live on your mobile?
Perhaps it nice to offer people a local call/non-mobile number to call you on as not everyone has "unlimited" calls to mobiles included in their mobile plans?!?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Mort, you misunderstood my remark. They were all outward chargeable VoIP calls; my antique mobile is turned on only for the average of less than one call I make per month. Nobody knows the number (including me), so I never get one on the mobile. Only Gidget makes fewer mobile calls.

I suppose as Exetel obtains revenue from outward calls only, this is about ensuring that all VoIP services provide at least some income, even if DIDs are only needed for inward calls.

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Dazzled wrote:Mort, you misunderstood my remark. They were all outward chargeable VoIP calls; my antique mobile is turned on only for the average of less than one call I make per month.

Apologies, my bad... If the revenue system works that way I guess it makes sense.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Gidget wrote:
Archangel wrote:Hmm... I will agree that $1 a month is a great deal for a DID, but I know that others wont be happy to be charged for something that was free beforehand (or any change to the ToC's...).
Good grief, is it that much of a hardship to make one free call (on a Naked service) a month? You can use a soft phone if you don't have an ATA (although as you currently receiving calls on the VOIP number you obviously have something already set up to receive them).
The 100 free calls are available every month.

Gidget
But would Exetel make any money off one call a month considering that call would fall under the 100 free calls a month?

I guess in my situation I've got mobile credits to burn, so I prefer to use my mobile (and with my bluetooth headset I've got greater mobility around the house).

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Archangel wrote:But would Exetel make any money off one call a month considering that call would fall under the 100 free calls a month?
Just because Exetel doesn't charge you for those calls doesn't mean they don't make any money from them being made. But I wouldn't know, I'm just speculating here.
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal