VOIP Services That Don’t Make Calls

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
karLos

Re: VOIP Services That Don’t Make Calls

Post by karLos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:03 am

i would have thought it has more to do with DIDs being allocated to users who don't use voip at all, and as such a perfectly good DID would be wasted on such customers.

perhaps exetel could consider a different approach to voip - similar to the one taken with email - that is, the user signs up for it when and if they want it (assuming such a thing could be automated?)

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:46 am

karLos wrote:
perhaps exetel could consider a different approach to voip - similar to the one taken with email - that is, the user signs up for it when and if they want it (assuming such a thing could be automated?)
Dunno how successful that would be with a naked service, I would say anyone who got a naked service would be assumed to want a did by default? Maybe the added $ should be factored into the plans into the first place if it's an issue.

samarium

Post by samarium » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:15 am

Plenty of people have a capped mobile plan that has sufficient capacity for all the phone calls they want to make, and just want ADSL on the landline, and Naked means cheaper. As such they don't need a DID. They may even not want a DID.

Or you may have a sharehouse situation, where everyone has their own mobile, and a single VOIP or PSTN landline means you then have to share out the call costs so it can be simpler do just not have the landline, and everyone uses their mobile.

I'm sure there are plenty of other scenarios.

I personally don't have a phone connected to my PSTN line, and only recently got a VOIP account when I got a HSPA service because it was necessary to make the phone call side of things cost reasonable. The mobile VOIP call rate is still expensive compared to rates I did have, however it is a trade off vs having reasonable HSPA data rates. Only problem with this is the complexity of making a phone call has gone up, and I now have to choose the bearer to use depending on the number to be called and whether I've used the inital $10 plan cost.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am

It's not a question of making money - one call would obviously not make any money but it would mean that the customer actualy had set up their service to make VoIP calls and would therefore be likely to make more than one.

However our carrier doesn't like assigning us thousands of numbers that don't toll anything so we need to correct that situation.

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 am

Would be good if there was a release/renew DID by default in the members area. That way if I am away working I can release my DID number (if I am going to be away for more than a few weeks) but then the different numbers would be an issue I suppose, as I would probably want the same number back. Can you make it so that new users are switched off by default with a request for DID option instead of giving out by default?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:17 am

Old Flame wrote:Would be good if there was a release/renew DID by default in the members area. That way if I am away working I can release my DID number (if I am going to be away for more than a few weeks) but then the different numbers would be an issue I suppose, as I would probably want the same number back.
This is probably not practical and would still tie the number up anyway, I would think in this situation $1 a month to maintain the number is a small price to pay
Old Flame wrote: Can you make it so that new users are switched off by default with a request for DID option instead of giving out by default?
This however is a good idea, there may be many people that are using VoIP for outgoing calls and still have the PSTN line that they receive calls on or just want to test the waters with VoIP so may not be fussed about having the DID at this time anyway, there was some talk about accounts without a DID being some kind of issue in the industry, I don't know if anything has come of that though that might cause a problem

Munka

Post by Munka » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm

jok11n wrote:
This however is a good idea, there may be many people that are using VoIP for outgoing calls and still have the PSTN line that they receive calls on or just want to test the waters with VoIP so may not be fussed about having the DID at this time anyway, there was some talk about accounts without a DID being some kind of issue in the industry, I don't know if anything has come of that though that might cause a problem
Does that mean the HSPA M1 - HA account that I have opened, which includes a DiD inclusive voip account,
has a DID set by default though I have never set up the voip side of the account?
I have only just got my first ever windows mobile smatphone, and while I intend to use the voip account in the future, getting a reliable and usable voip stack maybe a month or two away.
Munka

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Munka wrote:
jok11n wrote:
Does that mean the HSPA M1 - HA account that I have opened, which includes a DiD inclusive voip account,
has a DID set by default though I have never set up the voip side of the account?
I have only just got my first ever windows mobile smatphone, and while I intend to use the voip account in the future, getting a reliable and usable voip stack maybe a month or two away.
Maybe it's better to not create the VoIP accounts by default, and have the user create one as required, and for Naked DSL / HSPA service adjust the first VoIP account to include the appropriate calls / fees.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Munka

You may have been allocated a VOIP service on that plan when you activated the account (it would have said this on the activation page). To check, just log into your User Facilities and click on the "View Exetel Services" link to see if a VOIP service is shown as active. If so, you could cancel it if you are not yet ready to use it, and re-apply through your User Facilities for a VOIP service later, once you are set up to make use of it.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Munka

Post by Munka » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Gidget wrote:Hi Munka

You may have been allocated a VOIP service on that plan when you activated the account (it would have said this on the activation page). To check, just log into your User Facilities and click on the "View Exetel Services" link to see if a VOIP service is shown as active. If so, you could cancel it if you are not yet ready to use it, and re-apply through your User Facilities for a VOIP service later, once you are set up to make use of it.

Cheers

Gidget
And the answer is no, on the HSPA M1 - HA plan voip though available as one of the benefits is not enabled by default, I will get to it soon. Thanks all. :)
Munka

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 pm

I think this change is fine - given I used to pay $5 for a DID :)

My only question is re: incoming faxes by email, which I pay $1 for, and do not make outgoing calls on that DID, will the cost increase to $2?
I have no problems if it does, just wondering.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:46 pm

When I first joined Exetel half way through last year I immediately ported my mobile number to Exetel and activated my VoIP account to make use of on my Nokia N82 and I make calls every month, so this change is of no consequence to me. Just before Christmas I purchased a Huawei E169 on the HSPA C1 Plan at the time had no use for another VoIP DID so did not activate it at the time, so again I the change does not affect me.

It is fantastic to have a VoIP account available for each plan we have with Exetel but it is obvious that automatically activating them is not an effective use of a limited resource. It also appears that many customers have just activated their FREE VoIP DID just because it is available and never actually use it, hopefully this $1 charge for non-usage will educate these customers not to waste this limited resource.

My understanding is that when phone numbers are cancelled they go into a holding pool for 6 or 12 months, so in effect they are out of circulation during that time before they can be reallocated.

If it is possible for Exetel to automate a procedure to mail all customers that have never used their activated VoIP DID advising them that DIDs are a limited resource and that never using them is a waste and will lead to a shortage of DIDs. Hopefully the $1 charge will entice these customers to dump their inactive DIDs.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:20 pm

vk3xem wrote:When I first joined Exetel half way through last year I immediately ported my mobile number to Exetel and activated my VoIP account to make use of on my Nokia N82 and I make calls every month, so this change is of no consequence to me. Just before Christmas I purchased a Huawei E169 on the HSPA C1 Plan at the time had no use for another VoIP DID so did not activate it at the time, so again I the change does not affect me.

It is fantastic to have a VoIP account available for each plan we have with Exetel but it is obvious that automatically activating them is not an effective use of a limited resource. It also appears that many customers have just activated their FREE VoIP DID just because it is available and never actually use it, hopefully this $1 charge for non-usage will educate these customers not to waste this limited resource.

My understanding is that when phone numbers are cancelled they go into a holding pool for 6 or 12 months, so in effect they are out of circulation during that time before they can be reallocated.

If it is possible for Exetel to automate a procedure to mail all customers that have never used their activated VoIP DID advising them that DIDs are a limited resource and that never using them is a waste and will lead to a shortage of DIDs. Hopefully the $1 charge will entice these customers to dump their inactive DIDs.
We have emailed all VoIP users asking them to cancel their VoIP service if they don't use it.

We will almost certainly send a second email in 7 - 10 days and we will point out the waste in more detail.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We have emailed all VoIP users asking them to cancel their VoIP service if they don't use it.

We will almost certainly send a second email in 7 - 10 days and we will point out the waste in more detail.
It fits well with Exetel's Philosophy of Carbon Neutralisation and Flora/Fauna Protection. Keep up the good work Exetel. :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

karLos

Post by karLos » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:50 am

i didn't actually realise my naked service came with voip until i received the email giving me setup details, and had actually planned to simply use my mobile after getting rid of my phone line. that said, since i was going to get a new router anyway, i got a voip capable one and do indeed use it and consider myself a voip convert. (i guess reading more closely the features and inclusions of my plan would have helped.)

there may also be people who want a naked service, but already use or prefer to use a third party voip service.

however i'm not sure people necessary want/need DIDs or voip at all with their services (even naked services), but perhaps making it available rather than automatic would be a more efficient approach. that way the same inclusions and services are still offered, but initialisation/activation of that part of the service could be automated? if the process of adding voip when required rather than at signup can't be automated, perhaps the voip could come without a DID initially, and the customer could add one (ie pick one free one from the available pool) when and if they want one. this would also accommodate those who want to use voip, but don't want or need a DID.