Migration Of ADSL1 Customers To Optus ADSL2

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
an Sealgair

Re: Migration Of ADSL1 Customers To Optus ADSL2

Post by an Sealgair » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:36 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:It is becoming apparent, irrespective of whether there is a CEO change at Telstra in the near future or not, that we probably have very little time to move away from using Telstra as a major supplier. To mitigate the effects of what we perceive to be Telstra's likely actions over the coming months we need to move as many of our current ADSL1 customers as possible to an Optus service.
Can you indicate what Telstra's likely actions might be?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

an Sealgair wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:It is becoming apparent, irrespective of whether there is a CEO change at Telstra in the near future or not, that we probably have very little time to move away from using Telstra as a major supplier. To mitigate the effects of what we perceive to be Telstra's likely actions over the coming months we need to move as many of our current ADSL1 customers as possible to an Optus service.
Can you indicate what Telstra's likely actions might be?
That wouldn't be appropriate.

frankyman

Post by frankyman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:00 am

I recently recieved an email about the new 15$ line rental for ADSL1 users that migrate to ADSL2, however when i go to change service status and choose the INC2DSLC service and submit my details, on the confirmation page the monthly charge is stated as "85$ per month with $30 line rental included" On the page before it states only "75$ per month with line rental". Which of these prices are correct? I am very keen to get ADSL2, however I'm on a tight budget.

Taltosss

Post by Taltosss » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am

Recently tried to take up this offer as I can see what great value it is. Took about 5 calendar days to reject it. Confirms that I am indeed on a RIM.

Will those of us who can ONLY get ADSL1 from Exetel by way of Telstra wholesale continue to be looked after? Specifically in reference to Sealgair's quote above??

Final question. Not overly knowledgeable about all of this. Those of us on a RIM, will we only see speed increases (competitively priced) when the FTTN network is setup?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Taltosss wrote:Final question. Not overly knowledgeable about all of this. Those of us on a RIM, will we only see speed increases (competitively priced) when the FTTN network is setup?
The reason why you are on a RIM / can't get ADSL2+ is that your area is deemed to not be commercially viable by ADSL2+ providers. This makes me question whether FTTN would even run to your area (the last proposal I saw was Telstra shooting themselves in the foot and saying "no, we propose to roll out FTTN to only 65%, or something, of Australia"). Plus, I don't think there is any certainty to the FTTN network anyway. Even before the financial crisis, when it was originally proposed, there were obstacles and hurdles. I think that with the current economic crisis it even even less likely to eventuate in any medium term future.

Plus, one thing I'll state is that the Labor government's FTTN proposal actually replaced the previous Liberal governments broadband proposal. The Liberal government's proposal was going to expand ADSL2+ availability to many exchanges across Australia using existing technology (no FTTN crap). So you can actually thank Kevin Rudd for *decreasing* the likelihood you will get any speed increases anytime soon.

And, I'd like to reiterate John Linton's brilliant proposal: for less than $4.9b (the proposed cost of the FTTN), the government could give every household in Australia a Huawei E169 USB modem and 1 year free wireless broadband! This would, indirectly, be investing money in Optus's, etc mobile broadband network and expanding coverage which already has greater than ADSL1 capacity and growing fast. This would seem a MUCH more cost effective and fast acting method to improve Australian broadband speeds

StrawHat

Post by StrawHat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks Exetel.
Took the offer. All done.
Application on 4/3 and cutover 18/3
Few hours downtime but I wasn't home so who cares?
Painless :)

Edit: Something has come up.
I have been charged pro rata for March on the new plan. Haven't I already paid for March? I thought this move was supposed to be at no change to cost.
Am I missing something?

Edit2: Seems I am. I just did a forum search for prorata. Maybe I should have done that before the first edit ;)

qazxsw

Post by qazxsw » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 am

Requested on 2 March and done on 16 March (but it wasn't 3-5 working days as suggested).

I was testing the connection speed and did notice increase in speed but inconsistent and not as smooth as ADSL1 1500 connection I had before. To get speed above 1500kb, I have to reboot modem several times (below 384kb most of the time). No dropout with faster connection but high FEC.

Can anyone let me know whether it is related to using an ADSL1 modem on ADSL2 connection - the line attenuation (56-57.5db) and noise margin (12-13.5db) are stable all the time. Tried isolation test and no fault found.

Will it improve if using ADSL2 modem?
Is it normal where I live 4-5km from exchange?
Do I suppose to get at least 1500kb with ADSL2 connection?
Do I need to lodge a fault ticket?

I just want to have a connection above 1500kb without rebooting modem.

Thanks.

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

qazxsw wrote: Will it improve if using ADSL2 modem?
Is it normal where I live 4-5km from exchange?
Do I suppose to get at least 1500kb with ADSL2 connection?
Do I need to lodge a fault ticket?

I just want to have a connection above 1500kb without rebooting modem.

Thanks.
Not really, you may get a little higher upload speed with an ADSL2 modem.
Your line attenuation looks about right for 4-5 km from the exchange.
Yes, you should get at least 1500kbps connection.
You should probably lodge a fault ticket and ask to a stability profile apply to your connection. That should make your connection more stable.

Chris.

danmac

Post by danmac » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:10 am

Hi there,
Slightly off topic... however...
I note that you say that you are moving people to aapt adsl2+ anabled exchanges.
I am looking to move my parents to adsl from telstra cable. They are in Gordon, attached to the killara (nsw) exchange.
When i search on http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au i see that the killara exchange is not available for optus or aapt, however when i seach on the aapt website it tells me that i can get adsl2+ at that location (up to 20Mbps).
My question therefore would be if i can get aapt adsl2+ at this location, shouldn't i be able to get exetel at this location given that you are now using aapt exchanges?
Regards
Dan

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 am

Unfortunately, it's only some AAPT exchanges - mainly ones acquired when AAPT bought Powertel.
You can test for Exetel-via-Optus services at http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_with_phone.pl
and Exetel-via-Powertel at http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_no_phone.pl

Just insert your parents' phone number, and see what comes up.

And no matter which company they use, they won't get speeds anywhere near those ads, unless they have a flat inside the exchange building. Speed is distance dependent.

qazxsw

Post by qazxsw » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Chris T wrote: Not really, you may get a little higher upload speed with an ADSL2 modem.
Your line attenuation looks about right for 4-5 km from the exchange.
Yes, you should get at least 1500kbps connection.
You should probably lodge a fault ticket and ask to a stability profile apply to your connection. That should make your connection more stable.

Chris.
Hi Chris,

I have lodged a fault ticket with Exetel as suggested - they are very helpful in analysing the speed problem.

I have also tried my friend's ADSL1 modem but it has the same problem. But I could not convince myself that it was due to line fault even Exetel suggested to send a technician to check.

Eventually, it was solved with a new ADSL2+ modem (sync at 2304kbps - not very fast but acceptable). It wasn't a good experience but learned a good lesson.

I would recommend Exetel to advise customer always use ADSL2 modem on ADSL2 line to avoid such false alarm.

Cheers.

chingy213

Post by chingy213 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:27 pm

My theory

If it aint broken, dont fix it.