Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:59 am

VoIP continues to be a very, very popular service taken up by a continuingly increasing number of Exetel users.

Exetel has now addressed one of the reasons that some people have been reluctant to use VoIP as their main telephone services which is they wanted to retain both ‘ownership’ and use of the current home telephone number so as not to inconvenience all the people who have called them on that number over the years that they have had it.

Exetel will be able to put in place the ability for the telephone number ‘owner’ to move that number for their current PSTN line to an Exetel VoIP service via a function in the Exetel User Facilities - hopefully by the end of February 2009.

There is a charge to transfer this number (because Exetel are charged by Telstra for this service) but the number remains the ‘property’ of the customer and should they decide to move their number back to a standard telephone service in the future (or to another VoIP provider who has this function) then that can be done at whatever charges, if any, the subsequent telephone service provider may charge.

peterh_oz

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:16 am

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 am

Great stuff, a shame this wasn't around when I went naked and had to give up the number I had for the last 11 years but all the same this will overcome a huge stumbling block that has prevented people going naked when they can't get a DID in their local area, excellent news :)

kevii

Post by kevii » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 am

I gave up my Telstra landline number a few weeks ago. Wonder if I should contact Telstra to see if it still available? If so, can Exetel acquire it for me? Or do I need to have it reconnected for a short time?

Kevin

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:11 pm

The post specifically refers to Telstra performing the work, suggesting (to me) that it is only for porting a Telstra PSTN number to VoIP .....Will it also work if you have an Exetel (Optus) PSTN number with an ADSL2 service?

This is very exiting news!!!!
Today my ADSL is migrating from an ADSL1 service to an ADSL2 service including Exetel phone, (all my external calls go via Exetel VoIP).
If I can port my PSTN that I have had for 15 years, to a VoIP number I can seriously consider moving to a Naked service.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 pm

And the next step is to ensure continuity of the ported number being displayed in the White Pages directory (unless it is a silent number of course)

oblong

Post by oblong » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:10 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel will be able to put in place the ability for the telephone number ‘owner’ to move that number for their current PSTN line to an Exetel VoIP service via a function in the Exetel User Facilities - hopefully by the end of February 2009.
That's good news. Just to double check, does this mean that the number can be ported to an Exetel Naked ADSL service (that is, I have a PSTN number with Telstra, and I have Exetel ADSL, but would be considering a move to Ex. naked, transferring my current number)?

John Dalton

Post by John Dalton » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Hmm. This seems to open up a path for lines with multiple numbers to transfer to Exetel line rental. The user transfers any additional numbers to Exetel VoIP. The remaining line, with a single number, can then be transferred to Exetel rental. This prompts a couple of questions:

1) Can a user transfer numbers which are not "primary" phone numbers?
2) Can a single user transfer more than one number to VoIP?

To preempt an obvious question: sure, one could go full VoIP, but I've never been happy with that as an option since VoIP and mobile don't approach the reliability of fixed line PSTN in emergency situations.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Presumably, it would be possible.

It may be worth attempting / enquiring once the porting facilities are completed.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

John Dalton wrote:
To preempt an obvious question: sure, one could go full VoIP, but I've never been happy with that as an option since VoIP and mobile don't approach the reliability of fixed line PSTN in emergency situations.
in a business situation it's perhaps worthwhile to keep at least your primary number as a PSTN service, personally I run VoIP only but if you aren't comfortable with that it's probably a small price to pay to keep at least one number on PSTN, I would definitely recommend adding VoIP though as the call savings are significant

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:40 am

Q1. As a migration step, Is it possible to port my PSTN to an Exetel VoIP number, but still keep my Exetel PSTN service as a temporary fallback?
I assume that this would necessitate Exetel issuing a new number for the PSTN service.
Then later if the rest of the household is happy with using VoIP for both incoming and outgoing calls we could convert the ADSL service to Naked.

Q2. When a service converts to Naked, is there still a PSTN number associated with the service, an invisible number that is not able to be called but still identifies the circuit.
In the case of porting your PSTN to VoIP and then getting a Naked ADSL service, would a new (invisible) number need to be allocated to the circuit anyway for identification purposes.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Lawrie wrote:Q1. As a migration step, Is it possible to port my PSTN to an Exetel VoIP number, but still keep my Exetel PSTN service as a temporary fallback?
I assume that this would necessitate Exetel issuing a new number for the PSTN service.
Then later if the rest of the household is happy with using VoIP for both incoming and outgoing calls we could convert the ADSL service to Naked.
Suggest you just get the VoIP service (a voip number is free as long as you make 1 call per month). Keep your existing PSTN number as-is. Once you're happy, THEN cancel the "new" VoIP you created, select Naked and port your PSTN number to VoIP. VoIP is about 98% as good as a normal landline, but you need to ensure your equipment is correctly working together. The use of an all-in-one modem/voip is best, and SOME modems don't work well with P2P for example which can lead to tiny dropouts - not long enough to affect browsing but just long enough to drop a call. DLink I've found to be notorious for this when coupled with a Linksys VoIp router. Its not the router as it worked perfectly when I was on cable. Now that I've got the RTA1046VW from Exetel/Netcomm/Dynalink I forget I'm on VoIP (until my tiny phone bill comes each month!).
Lawrie wrote: Q2. When a service converts to Naked, is there still a PSTN number associated with the service, an invisible number that is not able to be called but still identifies the circuit.
In the case of porting your PSTN to VoIP and then getting a Naked ADSL service, would a new (invisible) number need to be allocated to the circuit anyway for identification purposes.
Yes. And that "invisible" number will be your Exetel login for both the user facilities and your exetel login/password in your modem (ie it will replace the current PSTN number login). Can someone at Exetel confirm that this won't cause a problem re service and new contract etc, also that an existing port won't be lost at a near-full exchange? I'm assuming no physical change is made by Telstra/Optus, only a computer change to the existing line/port.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Once a service goes to Naked ADSL2+, the number previously attached is no longer associated with that service in the supplier systems.

Exetel's system still refers to the service as being on that number, but that is the only reference to that number after it has moved to Naked ADSL2+.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:48 am

From what Jason suggests, Exetel use the PSTN as our account/service number in their systems whether it is an active PSTN number or not, so if we port our PSTN to a VoIP DID then they would just continue to use it as is. Therefore that there are no problems at the Exetel end.

Peter_oz: I probably should have mentioned that I have been running VoIP for my outgoing calls for 7 months with Exetel and before that for 12 months with Engin. My Billion 7404VGP is perfectly stable, but I still have my PSTN line connected as a fallback and this is also where Triple0 calls are configured to be routed. (as well as some other rats and mice calls that don't seem to work via Exetel VoIP).
My question Q1 was about adding an extra step before I migrate from this existing situation to Naked. If I ported my existing PSTN number to a VoIP DID, without cancelling the PSTN, will I be allocated a new PSTN number.
This way I could trial using the Exetel VoIP for incoming and outgoing calls while still having a PSTN fallback, that would have a number that I would not advertise to family, friends etc.
Then later if we are happy we could go the next step of migrating to Naked with VoIP and no fallback.
This extra step would be useful in proving to my Family that this will be a workable solution.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 pm

cool feature.

Can I apply for it (with my naked dsl) now?

And any extra cost beyond the normal naked plan?