Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
paulp
Exetel Staff

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by paulp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Sparky - let me double check one thing and I'll get back to you.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi,
Since writing that post, I've decided NOT to go with Naked ADSL2+, but rather keep the PSTN line for the business and just port the home phone number across to VOIP (partly because I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with VOIP, partly because VOIP is too problematic for faxes, and largely because that peace of mind only costs an extra $10/month). Now if I understand you correctly, I will need to move my home phone line across to Telstra before you can port the number across to VOIP - is that correct? Of course, my business line will also need to be transferred to Telstra copper lines in order to get ADSL2+ up and running, so it'd be great if I could confirm this so that I can get both lines switched over at the same time. And, yes, both lines are currently connected to Optus' HFC.
- In relation to moving services through to Naked ADSL2, this would be correct. You would need to port the numbers onto the Telstra network in whereby you are connected to a Telstra exchange(and assuming of course the Optus dslams are housed there). If you just want to move those two numbers straight from Optus HFC to the Exetel VOIP network, this is possible, but obviously just this as naked ADSL2 won't work via this method.
May I ask when the number porting service will be available? Days? Weeks? Months? Just want to know when to get the ball rolling with Telstra...
- Mid April is the current estimated date. Once the physical links are done we will open the form
And also, at what stage of the process would I get the home line ported across to VOIP? Would that occur when I sign up for Exetel ADSL2+ (i.e. instead of getting some random DID, I can port the home number across)? Or is it something that I do after I have an account established with Exetel? I want to get this right because there will be hell to pay (for me) if I lose that number....
- You must understand that as I mentioned in the first point, to firstly even get naked ADSL2 you would need to move the service to Telstra. Once this is done, and assuming you qualify of course, the order form will at this stage have the ability to at the same time also have the option to use the PSTN as the VOIP number - HOWEVER- this is untested. It can be done after the ADSL2 is active, however we are currently trying to trial this during activation of the naked ADSL2 service(and thus save an additional 5 days waiting time)

xsilver

Post by xsilver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:01 am

Is it possible to switch from a regular exetel adsl2 plan to a naked one?

Thinking of switching over but I must be able to keep my PTSN number.

Not sure if its best to wait until the number transfer service is available or should jump to exetel now and switch to naked afterwards?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:00 am

Is it possible to switch from a regular exetel adsl2 plan to a naked one?

Thinking of switching over but I must be able to keep my PTSN number.

Not sure if its best to wait until the number transfer service is available or should jump to exetel now and switch to naked afterwards?
- If you mean regular ADSL2 as in a PTL plan ADSL2 service you need to cancel this service outright before applying for a naked ADSL2 service as Optus don't support SSS(Service spectrum Shared) transfers
- If you mean a (INC plan) bundled ADSL2 service, you can switch to that with ease via the user facilities

You may want to wait, however if you can't, you can always go for our bundled ADSL2 plan and then make the change once the option is up.

xsilver

Post by xsilver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

yes I was talking about an INC plan

There are no extra fees to transfer from an INC plan to a NAK plan?

What about possible downtime?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm

yes I was talking about an INC plan

There are no extra fees to transfer from an INC plan to a NAK plan?

What about possible downtime?
- Fees will be determined once the product is up.

- downtime in theory should be non-existent for those on the INC(bundled plan) moving to naked adsl2 as the telephone and DSL are on different copper pairs.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

Hi paulp,

It's 15th and seems that nothing happened. would you plz give us any update?

cheers

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Tang,

I will let you know shortly - because of the slight delays in the PSTN to PORTING, we had to move the connection date or risk losing your number in the process.

I trust the HSPA service we gave you for free for the interm will cater your needs.

I'll let you know exactly when soon.

xsilver

Post by xsilver » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Is exetel offering a temporary hspda internet service for transfers to a naked dsl service? (with ptsn number transfer when its up)

how does that work exactly? Free loan sim which you send back once the dsl service is up?

This would help me a lot as Im switching from optus cable so I have the 2 step process of getting a telstra phone line first.
Being able to check mail (and get tech support) would be nice if its going to be like a 2 week downtime.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:05 pm

This is probably the wrong thread for this query, however Exetel supply an HSPA modem and SIM for loan (incl 2GB) if you are likely to have downtime.

Though with you switching from cable, why can't you keep your cable active while the Telstra copper line is connected and Exetel application processed? Once it's all lined up and you have an expected activation date you can book the cable cut off with a bit of an overlap. At worst you will pay for two connections for a month. At best there will be negligible 'double billing'
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 am

@ xsilver,

Temp HSPA modems are offered via a separate form to fill out in relation to those who wish to connect and have ADSL on NON-TELSTRA DSLAMS which would result in downtime ( as you would need to disconnect the ADSL only in order to apply for any of our bundled or naked services)

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:46 am

Hi paulp,

I just found the estimated Estimated Cut Over date has been postpone to 6th May. Hard to believe it 'cause I'm waitting for the connection for sooooo long (over two months) . Bit disappointed.

The provisional HSPA is good, but the high cost of additional data charged is really a pain for a big family. My usage hits 6.5G now.

Could you plz help me put it through as soon as possible? It will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
tao

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Tao,

The wait time is to do with the testing of moving over the PSTN to VOIP, we could have provisioned the NAKED ADSL2 much earlier but I wanted to save your PSTN

as an update, the physical links are all complete, we are currently testing the live system before I will input the PSTN to see if this work.

Keep using the HSPA stick until we can get this done

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Boo Paul,

Just having read this thread I would like to double check that to port a current PSTN number, you need to be on a Telstra number etc. Correct?

Thanks..looking to get rolling quickly.

John

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Boo Paul,
*shivers*

You got me.
Just having read this thread I would like to double check that to port a current PSTN number, you need to be on a Telstra number etc. Correct?

Thanks..looking to get rolling quickly.

John

Technically speaking, you can port your PSTN provided you have a residential grade line(and number) directly from Telstra, Optus, AAPT or MCI

We are in provisioning testing phase now, we had to overcome some lagging tech issues. Once it's fully tested and processes verified they'll be an annoucnement, user facilities option and FAQ to detail all in more detail.