Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
xsilver

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by xsilver » Sun May 03, 2009 1:11 am

on whirlpool someone posted that in this months exetel newsletter saying that this service is ready?

can anyone confirm? Or at least some kind of notice that it will be available within the next fortnight for sure?

I only ask because im transferring to naked but keeping my old number is important to me

Im on optus cable at the moment so its going to take a while for me to transfer to telstra first then exetel.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Sun May 03, 2009 12:17 pm

xsilver wrote:on whirlpool someone posted that in this months exetel newsletter saying that this service is ready?

can anyone confirm? Or at least some kind of notice that it will be available within the next fortnight for sure?

I only ask because im transferring to naked but keeping my old number is important to me

Im on optus cable at the moment so its going to take a while for me to transfer to telstra first then exetel.
not yet.

I'm in the trial for over two months and expect everything can ben done by next week.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 03, 2009 1:50 pm

The newsletter states:
You Can Transfer Some Phone Numbers To Your VoIP Service Now

Actually you will be able to transfer your current telephone number if you are on an Optus ADSL2 ‘with telephone’ service by the end of next week via a new ‘tool’ in the user facilities.

You can also transfer a telephone line number (that doesn’t have an ADSL service attached to it) to a VoIP only number and therefore discontinuing paying line rental from the same ‘tool’.

However, for obvious reasons, you can’t change a telephone line that has a non Optus ADSL service on it at all – because such a move would automatically cancel your ADSL service.

We have done the first transfers successfully and will more widely publicise this facility in June.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Sun May 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Does Exetel have the billing side of things sorted? ie. will your automated Billing systems be able to recognise the the number which was once a PSTN number, is now an Extel VoIP number. This may be an issue for Exetel-Exetel VoIP calls which are free (free outside of the 100 free national/local calls).

Not that it causes an issue with any bills, but the current Exetel VoIP automated billing lists calls to my two mobile phones as being Telstra mobiles, when in fact they are ex Telstra numbers that have been ported to Optus. This might cause a problem if Exetel charged different rates to mobiles from different carriers.

I am happy to be told I am being too anal and that this will never cause a problem, but it is worth checking just in case.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon May 04, 2009 10:04 am

Does Exetel have the billing side of things sorted? ie. will your automated Billing systems be able to recognise the the number which was once a PSTN number, is now an Extel VoIP number. This may be an issue for Exetel-Exetel VoIP calls which are free (free outside of the 100 free national/local calls).

Not that it causes an issue with any bills, but the current Exetel VoIP automated billing lists calls to my two mobile phones as being Telstra mobiles, when in fact they are ex Telstra numbers that have been ported to Optus. This might cause a problem if Exetel charged different rates to mobiles from different carriers.

I am happy to be told I am being too anal and that this will never cause a problem, but it is worth checking just in case.
Hi Lawire,

there shouldn't be any billing issue - but again, once provisioning tests complete this week, we'll get onto this.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Mon May 04, 2009 4:42 pm

paulp wrote:
Boo Paul,
*shivers*

You got me.

Technically speaking, you can port your PSTN provided you have a residential grade line(and number) directly from Telstra, Optus, AAPT or MCI

We are in provisioning testing phase now, we had to overcome some lagging tech issues. Once it's fully tested and processes verified they'll be an annoucnement, user facilities option and FAQ to detail all in more detail.
Thanks Paul....did not mean to be so scary! :)

Anyway...it cannot hurt to ask...when might the service be ready? I merely ask as I have indicated to my "current" ISP that I want them to terminate my ADSL1 service and looking to cut across to Exetel ADSL2+ as soon as possible. I need to keep the current PSTN number for work reasons in these economic times, [so INC# plans fit] but want to avoid the $100 for early termination of a contract to switch over to your Naked Plans when porting is ready to fly. So I am stuck on the horns of a dilemma...when to switch to Exetel!?

Oh...obviously, you probably cannot give a firm date which I understand. But you never know if you don't ask!

have fun,

John.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks Paul....did not mean to be so scary! :)

Anyway...it cannot hurt to ask...when might the service be ready? I merely ask as I have indicated to my "current" ISP that I want them to terminate my ADSL1 service and looking to cut across to Exetel ADSL2+ as soon as possible. I need to keep the current PSTN number for work reasons in these economic times, [so INC# plans fit] but want to avoid the $100 for early termination of a contract to switch over to your Naked Plans when porting is ready to fly. So I am stuck on the horns of a dilemma...when to switch to Exetel!?

Oh...obviously, you probably cannot give a firm date which I understand. But you never know if you don't ask!

have fun,

John.
I know this is difficult, by our test numbers are still going through provisioning, once we receive results, we'll announce it. I will let you know shortly when this does happen. We sent these numbers in back on Monday, it can take up to 7 working days for a port to go through.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Wed May 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Paul,

I rang my pstn number and just can not get through. And I can not call out via pstn neither. What will happen then?

cheers
Tao

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

paulp wrote:quote]

I know this is difficult, by our test numbers are still going through provisioning, once we receive results, we'll announce it. I will let you know shortly when this does happen. We sent these numbers in back on Monday, it can take up to 7 working days for a port to go through.
Once more thank you Paul...

It is a triffle tough as I have now been cut off from my access and borrowing a friends' from time to time! HA! Anyway, once the results are out and you make an announcement, I will be getting naked plus porting my PSTN. For work reasons and stuff I cannot loose my PSTN number at the moment.

Again thanks. Appreciate your feedback and replies. I will cross my fingers that the numbers come back in perfect working order inside of 7 days! :)

Have fun!

John.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed May 06, 2009 4:54 pm

@ taoyang,

Your number is still being ported as we speak, your number is still processing I will let you know if it was successful.

@ rattler

I am keeping my fingers crossed as well, essentially if this testing process works, we can save a lot of time and a lot of money.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your help. My NDSL is working now, and I got new voip number. But how can I use my old pstn number?

cheers
TY

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Tue May 12, 2009 4:37 pm

paulp wrote: @ rattler

I am keeping my fingers crossed as well, essentially if this testing process works, we can save a lot of time and a lot of money.

OK thanks Paul. I will try to keep watch on your web site and this thread for when Porting from Telstra to VOIP is 'ok' with Naked plans.

John.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

Hi taoyang,

I'll call you about this one. Testing has proved a little difficult currently.

psycho.circus

Post by psycho.circus » Wed May 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,

I just found this thread - is there an update on the rollout of this feature? I am very keen to port from my existing VOIP provider (who took on my old Optus number) to Exetel.

Regards,

Matthew

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu May 14, 2009 7:11 am

I don't believe this is a VOIP to VOIP porting capability but a PSTN to VOIP. I have not read anywhere VSPs are willing to release a VOIP number to another VSP.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety