Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
psycho.circus

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by psycho.circus » Thu May 14, 2009 7:52 am

Given I ported the number from Optus to my VOIP provider it's not like it came from their pool so I can't see the issue. Also from what I was told by my current VOIP provider I still ultimately "own" the number and can take it elsewhere if I choose to.

Hence to bring it to Exetel would be great but no one seems to know if LNP is actually working...

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu May 14, 2009 10:19 am

Hi,

As mentioned previously, PSTN to VOIP is the only viable solution at this stage that we are trying to offer.

Provisioning testing is proving difficult, mainly because we are trying to port numbers during ULL cut-over, a lot of variables to consider which aren't working in our favour. There is an alternate solution being worked on as we speak.

csouter

Post by csouter » Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a little over 8 weeks, ever since I posted this message.

Then, about ten days ago, I saw this post from CoreyPlover, (quoting from a recent Exetel newsletter).

To summarise my original post, I have been waiting to find out if I can port my second PSTN line (Telstra) to Exetel VoIP. That line has no ADSL service or any other complex services attached to it.

My first line is now gone, as I'm now on NDSL (NAK2C Plan). I was automatically given a VoIP number when the service was up and running.

What I want to do is to cancel my current VoIP number and replace it with the number from the Telstra PSTN line that I still have, which, (as I think I understand from this discussion) would effectively cancel my Telstra standard PSTN telephone service. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

What I'm trying to make clear here is that the service I'm talking about has nothing to do with my Exetel ADSL service. In fact, the only connection it has with Exetel is that I have Exetel Voice pre-selected as my long-distance landline provider. (Come to think of it, does that mean that I do, in fact have a complex service attached to that line)?

Now, CoreyPlover's post says, (among other things), that I can transfer a telephone line number that doesn't have an ADSL service attached to it.

So, my questions are:
  • 1. Is the new "tool" in the User Facilities up and running yet?

2. If not, when will it be ready?

3. If it is, where can I find it in the User Facilities?

4. How do I use it?
I'm really hoping that this facility will become available soon. I'm only keeping the second line connected so that I can keep the number. However, I hardly ever use it, (around 6 - 10 local calls per month and 1 or 2 fairly short international calls in a 3-month period), but the line rental is getting very high now, mainly because Telstra is now charging a much higher rental for lines that don't have Telstra services attached exclusively, (e.g., Telstra pre-selected for long-distance services). I don't want to lose the number, but it's getting very expensive for me to keep it connected.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Best regards
Chris Souter

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu May 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello All!!

In support of Chris, it is a feature that I (kneeling ok?) really would love to have available in the very near future. Only because I am borrowing a friend's access!

Anyway, I am merely waiting for Exetel to say that porting from Telstra to VOIP is right to go and I will be singing up.

Just some friendly market and customer pressure...no harm I trust? :D

Thanks Paul for your replies as well.

John.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 am

Hi,
What I want to do is to cancel my current VoIP number and replace it with the number from the Telstra PSTN line that I still have, which, (as I think I understand from this discussion) would effectively cancel my Telstra standard PSTN telephone service. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this).
- Yes, that would be correct. And everything else associated on that line as well.
What I'm trying to make clear here is that the service I'm talking about has nothing to do with my Exetel ADSL service. In fact, the only connection it has with Exetel is that I have Exetel Voice pre-selected as my long-distance landline provider. (Come to think of it, does that mean that I do, in fact have a complex service attached to that line)?
- preselect long distance is not a complex service.
Now, CoreyPlover's post says, (among other things), that I can transfer a telephone line number that doesn't have an ADSL service attached to it.
- Technically this is possible, but for the moment, we will be doing this for those that do order a naked ADSL2 service (and thus have an ADSL service attached)

As for your questions;

1. Not yet.
2. Development will begin coding the backend next week. I will have a date then.
3. It will be in the user facilities for current bundled customers and on the application form for NEW applicants of the naked adsl2 service at this for the time being.
4. Once it's developed I'll let you.

Point 3 has a reason. For the time being we want all PSTNs on our supplier's telephone network(via Optus) as all the inputs needed are constant and thus iron out issues before the posibility to use PSTN-VOIP without DSL attached.

csouter

Post by csouter » Fri May 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi, Paul!

Many thanks for your reply!
paulp wrote:Point 3 has a reason. For the time being we want all PSTNs on our supplier's telephone network (via Optus) as all the inputs needed are constant and thus iron out issues before the possibility to use PSTN-VOIP without DSL attached.
So, it won't be in the user facilities for NDSL customers for a while yet, right?

BTW, I just had a look at Optus' website, and I could change to an Optus plan priced at $19.95 per month, but it's a 12-month contract. :(

I had previously investigated this some time back, (I think it must have been over a year ago), and I found that the service wasn't available in my area (Homebush Exchange, NSW). However, it is, now, according to a check on the Optus website.

But at least I'd be saving about $15.00 per month compared with what I'm paying Telstra at the moment.

Do you think that might be the way for me to go at the moment, and then try to port the number to VoIP after the 12-month contract has expired?

I'd really appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks and regards
Chris Souter
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)

JohnJ

Post by JohnJ » Sun May 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I've read through each post and something is still not clear...

I am a current Exetel Naked DSL customer (since August 08) using an Exetel VOIP service. Can / how do I get my original local PSTN number as it is still available?

Surely, I don't have to activate a phone service (not sure how I could do this without affecting my NDSL service), request that number, port it to Exetel, and disconnect my existing DID?

Thanks,

JJ

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 17, 2009 9:58 pm

JohnJ wrote:Can / how do I get my original local PSTN number as it is still available?
I don't think you can. And even if you theoretically could, I'm guessing that it would be a very difficult process for you or Exetel to go through.

When numbers are cancelled they go into a "quarantined" pool of numbers which are not used for a certain period of time in order to give people time to update contact details. Sometime later they get released back into the pool of available numbers and reused. So the difficulty and process of re-obtaining a cancelled number will depend on how long ago it was cancelled, but I would not think it is something that Exetel would want to get involved in; at least, not until the standard porting process can be streamlined.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon May 18, 2009 9:50 am

Hi,

As per Coreys post, this is for new naked ADSL2 orders only at this stage who wish to retain their PSTN in moving to naked adsl2 and thus the number as a voip number.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 pm

paulp wrote:Hi,

As per Coreys post, this is for new naked ADSL2 orders only at this stage who wish to retain their PSTN in moving to naked adsl2 and thus the number as a voip number.
Boo Paul,

Still watching this thread...:) So does your above post indicate that I may now apply for Naked and port my current Telstra PSTN across?

Here's to hoping it is a 'yes'....

Thannks!

John.

ahas

Post by ahas » Mon May 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Any idea on time frame for current ADSL1 customers with a HSPA service?

I am looking forward to an end to my Helstra bills.

When it is available (say from my HSPA user facilities), I will cancel my ADSL service, then apply to port my pstn number to voip.

kevii

Post by kevii » Mon May 18, 2009 3:58 pm

I am also impatiently waiting on word of porting a Telstra number (on the Sunshine Coast of QLD) to a HSPA based VoIP service.

Question - If I take a Brisbane DID now, can I change it to a Sunshine Coast DID when they are available, or can I port my Telstra number to be my VoIP number later (replacing the DID), when porting is available? I realise I would need to keep my Testra line alive until it is ported.

I have Exetel HSPA running OK with an external Yagi antenna and I am keen to start using VoIP ASAP. But I have held off on ordering Exetel VoIP so far, hoping to keep my current number, or at least get a Sunshine Coast DID.
Last edited by kevii on Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahas

Post by ahas » Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 pm

kevii wrote: Question - If I take a Brisbane DID now, can I change it to a Sunshine Coast DID when they are available, or can I port my Telstra number to be my VoIP number later (replacing the DID), when porting is available? I realise I would need to keep my Testra line alive until it is ported.

I have Exetel HSPA running OK with an external Yagi antenna and I am keen to start using VoIP ASAP. But I have held off on ordering Exetel VoIP so far, hoping to keep my current number, or at least get a Sunshine Coast DID.
You can order a DID now. The first VOIP account is free. This will allow you to fine tune your VOIP settings on your network before porting your PSTN number.

When a Sunshine Coast DID is available, cancel the Brisbane DID BEFORE ordering the new DID to avoid the $5 charge for a second DID. VOIP orders/cancellations take effect immediately.

When PSTN porting is available, you would then need to cancel the Sunshine Coast DID.

yonglonglai

Post by yonglonglai » Mon May 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Just read the 8 pages of treads....
seems to be taking longer than expected for this service to become available...
I'm not too fussed when this happens as I can wait, but would like to be informed when this is done.

Can I add my email to a list (somewhere) to alert me when this porting service is sorted out?

thanks in advance,
Yong-Long

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 am

yonglonglai wrote:Can I add my email to a list (somewhere) to alert me when this porting service is sorted out?
The monthly Exetel newsletter will contain details when porting becomes active. You can subscribe to this in your member facilities