Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
yonglonglai

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by yonglonglai » Thu May 21, 2009 1:00 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
yonglonglai wrote:Can I add my email to a list (somewhere) to alert me when this porting service is sorted out?
The monthly Exetel newsletter will contain details when porting becomes active. You can subscribe to this in your member facilities

thanks Corey, i'm actually not a member yet as I do not have any exetel services... (ie. don't have login to go into member facilities)

was looking through exetel's sitemaps and searching around the internet for copies of their newsletter, I take it exetel don't publish their newsletter publicly...

anyways, if there's another way just let me know... i guess i will just monitor this thread for the time being.

TheBenjiManCan

Post by TheBenjiManCan » Mon May 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Yay. It's there ! :D

Just checked the Naked ADSL2+ application form, and there is now a section titled
"Do you wish to use the existing telephone service number as your VOIP number ?"

I've taken the plunge, now just hoping it all works out.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Tue May 26, 2009 9:34 am

TheBenjiManCan wrote:Yay. It's there ! :D

Just checked the Naked ADSL2+ application form, and there is now a section titled
"Do you wish to use the existing telephone service number as your VOIP number ?"

I've taken the plunge, now just hoping it all works out.

Classic.....

I could not wait any longer and have applied (with Exetel) for an INC plan! :( Talk about crap timing.....

Anyway...if what I have been told by sales is correct, I can move across to the Naked plan, port my PSTN and cancel it as well. I was told and hope it is correct that this won't cost.

Let us know how it all goes and nice to hear Exetel have it. :)

John.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 am

Rattler wrote:Anyway...if what I have been told by sales is correct, I can move across to the Naked plan, port my PSTN and cancel it as well. I was told and hope it is correct that this won't cost.
Since you've entered into a phone + ADSL 12 month contract I would have thought that you'd be up for the early termination fee on the phone component, which could be half of the early termination fee (the ADSL stays untouched, so no cancellation fee would apply to this component). If I were you, I'd email billing@exetel.com.au to get confirmation.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 pm

hi Guys,

Yes the facility is currently up for new users. This will expand to current bundled customers and an FAQ will be produced shortly but in effect, the general process is as follows;

- You apply for a naked ADSL2 service
- Typical qualification checks are tested and an appointment date is given
- Assuming no impediments, Your service will be ported to the Optus copper network
- We will also carry your current PSTN service as well during the port.
- Once the port completes, the transition in moving from PSTN to VOIP will then begin, this will take between 5-10 days once ADSL2 completes.
- Notifications will be advised at critical updats along this process.

ahas

Post by ahas » Tue May 26, 2009 7:25 pm

When might this be available for hspa customers?

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu May 28, 2009 10:44 am

Do VoIP customers who port their PSTN numbers across get an entry in the White Pages?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 am

@ CapnKernel
- They should appear on the white pages, that's correct.

@ahas

- Middle/end of June once we are confident of the procedures for new naked ADSL2/bundled serviecs have applied.

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 am

CapnKernel wrote:Do VoIP customers who port their PSTN numbers across get an entry in the White Pages?
This is a very important issue that needs to be spelled out in the FAQ when written. for: at the time of the transfer, the PSTN number will most certainly be listed in the White Pages (unless of course it is a silent number), however, what happens at the next update of the White Pages publication? I assume that Telstra every year sends a list of numbers to Sensis for publication, but that once our number is ported to VoIP this will not happen again and therefore our number will cease to be published in the White Pages.

I personally would like for a process to be created for either:
1. Exetel to send VoIP number to the White Pages for publication (this could be for both ex-PSTN and VoIP only DIDs) ; or
2. Exetel to publish a process detailing how each customer can engage White Pages (Sensis) to have their number published.

If Exetel does this on behalf of all their customers and provides the process, or publishes how to engage White Pages, only one entity (in this case Exetel) needs to work out the process, rather than each Exetel customer having to work out how to engage White Pages (Sensis).

I know from previously being an Engin customer that this can be done, but I know that it also provides a new set of issues, in that as a VoIP customer I can immediately chop and change VoIP numbers through the Facilities Page and it would be difficult to keep numbers up to date, but in the case of customers porting their PSTN number it is implied that the customer wants to keep the number (and have it published in the White Pages) permanently.

In the case of having a VoIP DID published in the White Pages, if there was a nominal fee involved for this service, then it may be more likely for customers to keep a number long term.

I have also mentioned in other parts of the forum that by having a number listed in the White Pages, it would also possibly lead to a VoIP number (ex-PSTN or not) being able to be registered with the Triple0 service as it could be linked to an address via that White Pages database.

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am

Hi,

I'd just like to clarify some issues with this new porting service.

At the moment I have 2 Telstra PSTN lines going into my house - a home line and a business line. What I want to do is enable ADSL2+ on the business line (keeping the PSTN - i.e. NOT naked) and then port the Home number across to Exetel VOIP and disconnect that line from Telstra.

My questions are these:

1) Is it possible to port a number across to VOIP if it's not attached to your Exetel ADSL2+ service (i.e. if it's not on a Naked Plan)?
2) If so, how do you do it?
3) If not, will it ever become available as an option? And if yes, when?

Thanks for your help,
Steve. :)

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 am

Hello Again,

Thanks for the tip regarding termination. I had specifically asked since it was known at that time the PSTN porting was close.

I wonder Paul, if it is possible to modify my current order? I still want ADSL2+ with Exetel and will get across to VoIP but I have missed by literally a couple of days of going via Naked and thence porting. Given your team were unable to make any representations about timing, I was advised to get underway regardless - all which fits since I am without regular connectivity at the moment and need it. Thoughts and comments sought!

have fun,

John.

CapnKernel

Post by CapnKernel » Thu May 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Lawrie wrote:
CapnKernel wrote:Do VoIP customers who port their PSTN numbers across get an entry in the White Pages?
This is a very important issue that needs to be spelled out in the FAQ when written. for: at the time of the transfer, the PSTN number will most certainly be listed in the White Pages (unless of course it is a silent number), however, what happens at the next update of the White Pages publication? I assume that Telstra every year sends a list of numbers to Sensis for publication, but that once our number is ported to VoIP this will not happen again and therefore our number will cease to be published in the White Pages.
[Complicated suggested business process omitted]

I don't think it's that complicated. As far as I can tell, Telstra manages the IPND, and Sensis slurps this database for the White Pages.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/1001/pc=PC_1754

'twould be nice to have a web page where we can edit the IPND info for our number though...

Mitch.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu May 28, 2009 12:09 pm

I think they are maintained as two seperate databases.
The IPND is a database of numbers and addresses, looked up by phone numbers, used for emergency services and possibly law enforcement. Should contain every single number capable of calling 000.

Sensis / Whitepages is a database of names, numbers and addresses which aren't 'silent', as well as the business directories. This database won't contain every single number.

I suspect both are maintained by different locations, Sensis for Whitepages, and Telstra for IPND.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 pm

@Rattler

email paulp@exetel.com.au with specific details and I'll go about changing it.

@sparkyboy767

1) Is it possible to port a number across to VOIP if it's not attached to your Exetel ADSL2+ service (i.e. if it's not on a Naked Plan)?
- Not at this stage, ADSL must be attached. Once the ball is rolling for this and the reliability of the process become more evident, we can extend this.

2) If so, how do you do it?

- See 1.

3) If not, will it ever become available as an option? And if yes, when?

- See 1, again, all depends on how new naked adsl2 csutomers and existing bundled customers go

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks Paul,

It's a shame that it's not available yet as I can't wait to ditch the line rental fees on that second line. :cry:

I understand that it takes time to do things right and I don't want to seem impatient, but what sort of timeline are you looking at for extending this service to non-ADSL enabled lines? Weeks? Months? Years? Obviously I'd like to keep everything bundled together with Exetel, but if it's going to take a long (or indefinite) period of time to have this service enabled (and if I understand you correctly, you can't even guarantee that it will happen) I might be better off just using another VSP to port the number over and then set my dialing plan on my VOIP phone to use Exetel for outgoings...

Of course, doing that opens another can of worms - if I later want to port the number from whatever VSP I go with back to Exetel, will Exetel support VSP to VSP number porting?

Thanks once again for your help... I don't know how you guys do it. I think I'd go mad working in the telecommunications industry - even the simplest tasks somehow seem to turn into the most ridiculously complicated nightmares... :twisted:

Cheers,
Steve.