Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Lawrie

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by Lawrie » Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 pm

CapnKernel wrote: http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/1001/pc=PC_1754
'twould be nice to have a web page where we can edit the IPND info for our number though...
Mitch.
So how do the requirements of the ACMA IPND info match with what happens with our Exetel DIDs?
Is our data (name, address, etc) provided to keep this list up to date?

xsilver

Post by xsilver » Fri May 29, 2009 8:27 am

Signing up to this today - just one last question regarding this.

It is 100% possible to sign the number back out to a ptsn service if I decide to leave exetel?

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 am

@xsilver

- You should be able to port the number back to Telstra if you decide to do so once the VOIP is done.

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Paul,

Re: posting quoted below..., do you have an ETA on the FAQ?

I currently have an iiNet ADSL2+ connection with iiNet charging me for my voice line as well. I'd like to switch to an Exetel naked plan but I need to keep my existing PSTN phone number. (incidentally I'm also looking at an M1 mobile plan and taking the option to be able to make outbound calls if required).

This form (https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2_m ... e_form.php) tells me "Your telephone number will be deleted and cancelled and become non-usable" if I do this.

Is there a process for moving from an iiNet phone / ADSL2+ package to Exetel (aka Optus) Naked ADSL + VOIP without loosing my number.

What precautions should I use to ensure this runs as smoothly as possible (ie. No "Telstra can't find your premises / line", "sorry your number has been disabled", "sorry no lines are available in your exchange", "oops, you're now on a pair gain", "even though you had an ADSL2+ line your line is not suitable for Naked DSL", "Our apologies that it took more than 21 business days to get this up and running" etc)?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.
paulp wrote:hi Guys,

Yes the facility is currently up for new users. This will expand to current bundled customers and an FAQ will be produced shortly but in effect, the general process is as follows;

- You apply for a naked ADSL2 service
- Typical qualification checks are tested and an appointment date is given
- Assuming no impediments, Your service will be ported to the Optus copper network
- We will also carry your current PSTN service as well during the port.
- Once the port completes, the transition in moving from PSTN to VOIP will then begin, this will take between 5-10 days once ADSL2 completes.
- Notifications will be advised at critical updats along this process.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 am

iiNet ADSL2+ to Optus ADSL2+ cannot be done.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri May 29, 2009 11:54 am

I will have the FAQ up on Monday.

If you are on an iinet dslam then you can not transfer to our naked/bundled optus service and thus the number can't be ported to our network.

If you have your ADSL2 only on iinet infrastructure and your telephone on a Telstra DSLAM you could port to our naked adsl2 service but you'd have downtime in doing so. In addition, it is assumed that number is portable also.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 pm

paulp wrote:@Rattler

email paulp@exetel.com.au with specific details and I'll go about changing it.

Hello Paul,

Email sent with application details included for you to use to track application. The number in the email is the one I'd like ported across to VOIP.

Thank you for this and appreciate your replies through this thread.

John.

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:03 pm

paulp wrote:I will have the FAQ up on Monday.

If you are on an iinet dslam then you can not transfer to our naked/bundled optus service and thus the number can't be ported to our network.

If you have your ADSL2 only on iinet infrastructure and your telephone on a Telstra DSLAM you could port to our naked adsl2 service but you'd have downtime in doing so. In addition, it is assumed that number is portable also.
Hi Paul,

I've spoken to iiNet and on their advice have just requested Telstra to port my phone back to Telstra infrastructure (with associated loss of quota from iiNet) using this form:
https://www.telstra.com.au/switch/homeform.cfm

Their webpage says they will endeavour to complete the transfer within the next ten working days.

After I am on an iiNet DSLAM for internet, but Telstra for phone, do I just fill out the form at:
https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2_m ... e_form.php

Or should I cancel my iiNet service before I fill in the above form?
Is it true that I need to wait 48 hours after my phone is ported back to Telstra before I submit the application with you to allow database updates?

The number should be portable as it was Telstra's to begin with and ported across to iiNet so I assume it should be able to come back to Telstra and then onto you. Will I then be able to keep my phone number on your Naked service (as implied in this discussion) or will I lose it as stated in the linked form?

I have spoken with Venrushi at Exetel sales (her phone line dropped out 5 minutes into our call, after a 17 minute wait, <frustrating>) but she didn't appear to know that I couldn't port from an iiNet based phone service. I called back and Hassam said that actually you're the best person to speak to on this anyway.

I'm looking forward to your FAQ on Monday, if it includes a section on best process for transferring from an iiNet phone/ADSL2+ service I won't even bother you with a phone call on Monday! <grin> Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Michael.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 am

Hi,

The FAQ will be put up shortly, I will supply it here;

This should answer most people's inquries for the time being.

"PSTN To VOIP" FAQ

Q. 1 What is PSTN To VOIP?

A. PSTN To VOIP is a newly featured product in whereby you can transfer your existing telephone number into a VOIP number. Essentially this means you can now receive and make calls via your internet connection instead of the telephony copper network with the same number.

Q. 2 Can I use my existing telephone number and transfer this as a VOIP number?

A. Yes you can. So long as this number is portable and you provide the correct account details this can occur.

Q. 3 How do I apply for this?

A. Please apply for any residential Naked ADSL2 plan. On the order form, there is an option as to whether you wish to keep your existing telephone number as a VOIP number when your Naked ADSL2 is completed.

Q.4 How does this process work?

A. Exetel will receive you order and verify your address and billing details. Once your order passes qualification an estimated connection date will be given for your Naked ADSL2 service. Once this is completed, your Telephone number will then be processed into a VOIP number. It can take anywhere from 5-10 days after your Naked ADSL2 service is completed before your telephone number is converted into a VOIP number and you will be notified via e-mail and SMS when this happens.

Q. 5 Does this process cost anything?

A. Yes. There is a once off $15 charge in porting your PSTN to a VOIP Number.

Q. 6 Do I have to bundle an ADSL2 service in order to apply for this?

A. Yes. Currently, those who apply for Naked ADSL2 (via the Optus copper network) or existing bundled Telephone and ADSL2 customers can take advantage of this.

Q. 7 I currently have a Telephone and/or Internet service on a NON-TELSTRA DSLAM(i.e iinet, Internode, AAPT etc). Can I still apply for this?

A. In order to apply for our ADSL services in general, it is assumed you are connected to a Telstra exchange. In order to apply for this product which is attached to our naked ASDL2 service, you should be connected to a Telstra exchange. If either your telephone or ADSL1/2 is connected to your current provider’s DSLAM then this has to be moved onto Telstra equipment in order to qualify. If your ADSL/ADSL2 service is on non-telstra equipment this too should be moved or cancelled in the event it cannot be moved (check your DSL provider to confirm).

Q. 8 I currently have a telephone and/or ADSL2 services on the same infrastructure (Optus copper network) you provide Naked ADSL2 services on. Can I apply for PSTN->VOIP in this case?

A. Yes. The process in this case works as mentioned in Q4. The only difference is that your ADSL2 service should be processed faster (approximately 3 working days assuming no impediments)

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the FAQ interesting info. Onto my specific case...

I phoned Telstra (to check my request to transfer my number back to Telstra had been received - the Telstra agent couldn't see the job in his system but said it may still be in another system and not reached his yet) and was told my phone line is actually on Telstra infrastructure, it's only the ADSL2 that's on iiNet's DSLAM.

I have requested to have my number ported back to Telstra, they're offering a $70 account credit as a "Welcome back to Telstra". So that's in progress and should happen within the next 10 business days.

iiNet says it will take two or three days to cancel the ADSL codes from the line when I elect to cancel the service.

I went to register for your Naked ADSL2+ but the Naked application forms (both STD and for those migrating from iiNet etc):
"If you are ready, please proceed with the ADSL2+ application by clicking here"
https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2/r ... e_form.php

"If you currently have an ADSL/ADSL2 service through IINET, INTERNODE, TPG, AAPT or IPRIMUS please clicking here"
https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2_m ... e_form.php

... show that I'll loose my number. Are the forms just out of date and can I safely proceed without loosing my number?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

P.S. It feels funny to be leaving iiNet, I've been with them for four years this time (I was with them for a couple years before that but was foolish enough to leave for a 6 month foray with TPG in the middle). I already have my brother and Dad with Exetel so I know I won't be disappointed post migration.

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for the FAQ! Unfortunately it doesn't address any of my questions (mine are always out of left field!)...

My main query would be if you have any news on when it will be possible to port over a secondary number (i.e. a non-bundled number on Telstra Copper)? I need to keep a PSTN line, so naked isn't an option for me (I've just signed up for an INCL plan on the first line), but I really want to ditch the second line (Telstra Copper) and move that number across to VOIP. I know I asked this before, but I didn't get a response, so I'll ask it again just in case you missed it - what timeframe are you looking at for enabling porting of non-bundled numbers? And in the case that that timeframe is too long for me and I decide to port the number to another VSP, do you plan to offer VSP to VSP porting at any time in the future (so I can bring all my services back under the Exetel umbrella)?

I understand that specific dates are impossible to give, but a rough estimate would be very helpful...

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 am

@ wmfoster;

Use the https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2/r ... e_form.php form. The other form will go down and be incorporated In this one as we no longer do the interm HSPA modems.

So it would seem you would need to move your telephone onto TElstra and cancel your iinet service. HOWEVER, I recommend you move your telephone number to telstra first and then email me (paulp@exetel.com.aU) the number to make sure it is portable to other networks before you go cancelling your iinet service.

@ sparkyboy767
I thought I answered your inquiry before..in any event;

- secondary numbers on a main line is not possible. If you mean 'secondary' on a seperate copper line (so it's really a main number on another line) then you can do this
- PSTN to VOIP is only bundled with ADSL at this stage on ordering at this stage. ETA really depends on reliability and process of current services. at least a few weeks off technically and more importantly I need approval.
- As long as that VSP is Telstra, OPTUS, AAPT or MCI hosted it can be ported to a VOIP number. SOUL numbers can not be ported (no agreement in place with our carrier for soul)

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response.
paulp wrote:@ wmfoster;
Use the https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2/r ... e_form.php form. The other form will go down and be incorporated In this one as we no longer do the interm HSPA modems.
Any chance of updating the above form to not say:
https://www.exetel.com.au/naked_adsl2/residential_online_form.php wrote:(7) ** WARNING ** Your Telephone Number ** WARNING **

Your telephone number will be deleted and cancelled and become non-usable and non-transferable to another carrier thereafter. If you do not wish to lose your telephony number, you must NOT apply for a Naked DSL2 service.
But say something about number porting instead, I'd feel a lot more comfortable filling out a form that doesn't say I'll loose my number.

Also, I've now signed up for the Optus based HSPA / M1 mobile phone plan (that's what the cost savings from moving from iiNet to Exetel are funding <grin>). Now all I have to do is wait for the new iPhone to be released so I have a better phone to play online with.

Regards,
Michael.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:15 am

Hi,

I'll get that changed shortly.

wmfoster2001

Post by wmfoster2001 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Paul,
I'll get that changed shortly.
It's not changed yet.

But, I've put my order through for Naked ADSL anyway as I'd like to get this going as soon as possible.

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to being an Exetel customer.

Regards,
Michael.