Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
paulp
Exetel Staff

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by paulp » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:03 am

hi,
Is this still on track for Friday 11th December?
Yes - even earlier than that and I'll update this thread should that happen.
I currently have Exetel ADSL as well as HSPA, with Fax Duet on the telephone line (vis Telstra)

Am I right in guessing the procedure for porting?

1. Cancel Fax Duet on the telephone line.
2. Cancel my ADSL service - Can you advise the best date to cancel?
3. Have Exetel transfer my email/hosting/voip services from my ADSL to my HSPA account
4. Please advise how to order the PSTN to VOIP feature.
1 - Yes
2 - You can select any date you wish, just remember taht if you select to port your number on the same line as where the ADSL resides, then it will be around 10 working days from the 'PSTN to VOIP' submission before the number is transfered and the line is 'dead'
3. email provisioning@exetel.com.au after you have put in your cancellation request
4. This will appear in the HSPA user facilities under VOIP-->'PSTN to VOIP'. Again, no later than the 11th so look out for it.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:42 pm

Ladies and Gents,

The PSTN to VOIP process for HSPA users is now available via the HSPA secure user member facilities.

The essential process and details are as below;

1. Entering your active public telephone service number (PSTN) and address details that much the physical records for where the phone line resides
2. By selecting Yes, a qualification check will be done to determine whether the telephone service number can be ported based on whether your exchange is supported
3. Entering your current line rental provider and associated telephone ACCOUNT number.
4. Once the order has submitted you will receive notification upon which the porting process, assuming no impediments, can take approximately up to 10 days to complete.
5. Once the transfer is completed, you will be notified upon which details will be given to configure your VOIP service such that the number can be used.
6. I understand that once the transfer process completes, the existing telephone line will become INACTIVE and non-usable and that any additional services attached to the telephone service (such as ADSL) can become INACTIVE.

Cost is a once off $15 for the transfer. All other details are on the form, in your HSPA member facilities under VOIP->PSTN to VoIP Request

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Sounds Promising...

No luck for me however - I received this error:

Code: Select all

Telephone number cannot be ported as exchange is not enabled
This service is probably not of any use to me then. (Not Armidale, Black Mountain.)

Do you have a list of enabled exchanges?

Cheers, Mike
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:15 am

Mike,

More than likely the number inputted is either out of range or your exchange is not available.

I suggest you PM me your number for me to double confirm.

As for the list of exchanges - I'll need to confirm with our supplier both the accuracy and availability of that information.

ahas

Post by ahas » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 am

paulp wrote:Mike,

More than likely the number inputted is either out of range or your exchange is not available.

I suggest you PM me your number for me to double confirm.

As for the list of exchanges - I'll need to confirm with our supplier both the accuracy and availability of that information.
I had the same problem, PM sent

Anne

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Anne,

I have responded.

toast

Post by toast » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:40 pm

paulp wrote:Ladies and Gents,

The PSTN to VOIP process for HSPA users is now available via the HSPA secure user member facilities.

Cost is a once off $15 for the transfer. All other details are on the form, in your HSPA member facilities under VOIP->PSTN to VoIP Request
Hi Paul,

I made a post to http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 19#p264272 the other day regarding porting a second PSTN in my parents house to Exetel VoIP. The answer was that Exetel don't support that. HOWEVER! I have two HSPA services and I see that the PSTN to VoIP service is available on my HSPA. So would I be able to move the phone number on their behalf, or transfer ownership of one of the HSPA services to them, would it make more sense for them to sign up to a new HSPA service then do the PSTN -> VoIP?

This is a great development, I was about to try to sign up to Faktortel, but now it appears we can keep all the services with Exetel, great news.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Greetings Toast,
Hi Paul,

I made a post to viewtopic.php?f=284&t=34619#p264272 the other day regarding porting a second PSTN in my parents house to Exetel VoIP. The answer was that Exetel don't support that. HOWEVER! I have two HSPA services and I see that the PSTN to VoIP service is available on my HSPA. So would I be able to move the phone number on their behalf, or transfer ownership of one of the HSPA services to them, would it make more sense for them to sign up to a new HSPA service then do the PSTN -> VoIP?

This is a great development, I was about to try to sign up to Faktortel, but now it appears we can keep all the services with Exetel, great news.
You would be able to do this based that you are an AUTHORITY on the telephone line in some way. Also, you must read the process and procedures very carefully because as you should be aware, initiating this process and ultimate completion will mean the line will be rendered 'dead' and indeed ANY additional service attached to this line from that phone number.

Provided you and your folks understand the top clearly (which is stated on the form as well ), and you are an authority on the line, you are able to do this.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Merry Xmas Paul,

I've applied to port my ptsn number to current HSPA account on 24th. But the status of porting in member facility became REJECTED today for some reason.

would you please help me follow my case when you get back?

Many thanks

toast

Post by toast » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:58 pm

paulp wrote:Provided you and your folks understand the top clearly (which is stated on the form as well ), and you are an authority on the line, you are able to do this.
Cool. Sounds like the best thing to do is to have the person with authority on the line, sign up for a HSPA service.

Cheers,
Clive

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:36 am

I've got two landlines in my house. One is the business line, which has our Exetel ADSL2+ connection on it. The other is the home phone. At present, we want to keep the business line as a landline (with the ADSL service on it) and port the home phone line across to VOIP. Is it possible to do this with Exetel? If not, is it something that is in the pipeline?

One would think that if you can port a PSTN number across to Exetel VOIP when you're on a HSPA plan, then it would be possible to do it for a ADSL plan.

Obviously, we'd prefer to keep all of our services under the one roof, but if this isn't possible, we'll have to look elsewhere.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 am

Hi,

I've got two landlines in my house. One is the business line, which has our Exetel ADSL2+ connection on it. The other is the home phone. At present, we want to keep the business line as a landline (with the ADSL service on it) and port the home phone line across to VOIP. Is it possible to do this with Exetel? If not, is it something that is in the pipeline?

One would think that if you can port a PSTN number across to Exetel VOIP when you're on a HSPA plan, then it would be possible to do it for a ADSL plan.

Obviously, we'd prefer to keep all of our services under the one roof, but if this isn't possible, we'll have to look elsewhere.
This is now possible for business users by going here;
http://www.exetel.com.au/business_order_voip.php

We attach these to residential data services for the purpose of credit reasons. However, 'standalone' pstn to voip can be done via the link I've given.

I also note, once this number is ported, your telephone service on that copper line will be 'dead' and indeed *ANY* attached telephony and/or dsl services on that line will also cease to function upon porting to VOIP.

oblong

Post by oblong » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:36 pm

paulp wrote: However, 'standalone' pstn to voip can be done via the link I've given.
In case things have changed since I last asked this, can a Telstra "multiple number" be ported to an Exetel fax-to-email DID (leaving the primary Telstra number untouched)?

David R

Post by David R » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:00 am

PSTN number-porting to VoIP
I can't see this really impacting Telstra much until it becomes available to ordinary residential consumers on ADSL1 and ADSL2/non-naked services. Chalk me up as a customer who also has a secondary/standalone pstn account that, aside from the incoming calls, it remains largely redundant, at some $251.40 cost p.a
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

David R

Post by David R » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 am

Exetel survey and testimonials for 3G VoIP
I dont suppose Paul P(/Forumadmin) could give (10)staff small homework assignment?
(Mel B; Sarah C; Will M; Jing T; John P; Georgina D; Lauren F; Chris S; Ling G; Martin V --covers most divisions)

That they may use their existing 3G handsets/usb sticks (or co-ordinate to use the sourced hardware\&accounts)to survey the performance of VoIP/DID calls incoming & outgoing over the Optus 3G network.
(/I presume at least 10 Exetel staff run VoIP/HSPA setups at home)

this survey may collect some important data,
the Specific handset:
HSPA plan name:
Suburb/base tower address:
Date/time of test:
Compared to talking over pstn, clarity assessed of wireless VoIP calls: ( /10)
(1-3 =poor/unsuitable; 4-7 =lacking/okay; 8-10 =Good/indistinguishable)

Technical data-- ping/latency/jitter.,speedtest, Mean Opinion Score (MOS),
able to be achieved from http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com :
1-2 sentences summary in closing thoughts: _________________________________________
I figure the process of persuading fixed telephone and mobile cap users to become savvier data (3G) customers could use a catalyst. as far as can be determined within this forum there is no confirmation/feedback a customer has 'successfully pstn-ported' in the months since the HSPA process was opened (07-DEC-2009).

Maybe 3G is premature/untrustworthy for VoIP?;
perhaps it is the expense of a HSPA/SIP device hardware? (http://www.mobileciti.com.au/samsung-i600-blackjack has available at 179.00)
Also possible it could be the perceived fiddliness of getting all pieces to work (I know 3's internal firewall has me discouraged) - there are so many reports of 3G networks just not providing the performance consistency for apps like gaming & VoIP. I am still considering its worth.

In the meantime PaulP(/FA) should consider whether 'testimonials by qualified staff' would be useful catalyst to speed sales in this area. Are there many customers using HSPA and VoIP? Is your experience bad /good? Feedback on 'number-porting' would be particularly relevant.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.