Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
paulp
Exetel Staff

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by paulp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 am

Hi,
Does this apply to regional areas as well?

Some years ago I ported my PSTN to a VSP - who subsequently went broke a few year later - it would be great to be able to retrieve that phone number again and have it as my Exetel Voip number (instead of my current Brisbane one). Do you think this would be possible?

H.

This applies to all PSTN users who currently use Telstra, Optus, MCI or AAPT at this stage. If the telephone number is still active then it should be possible. if the telephone number is lost then can't actually do anything as it has to be active on the networks mentioned previously and owned to someone.

soaper

Post by soaper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:13 pm

ok
here is a variant

when i went naked i lost a phone number of 25 years standing :( :(

however when i added in a PSTN line to get back a CSG i was able to get a number one digit off the old number..and thus easy to remember .
(ie i have two lines in for calls)

that was a win with a helpful telstra person searching around for me find a number like that 8)

the *old * number has still not been taken up by anyone.

what would be the chances of my getting back my old number in this new process to enable me to change my VOIP # to the old number ??

i was clearly told that my old number would be quarantined for 6 months and then put back into service.
it will be 12 months come mid march i went naked and lost it and a call to it says it is still disconnected

it takes little to keep me happy and amused these days . :D

thanks

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi,

It is possible to call Telstra and ask to have that number activated again. have you done this at all?

soaper

Post by soaper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm

when i asked at the 6 month time line i met with a brick wall, but to be realistic there wasnt then a mechanism that is now being proposed

what i want to do is a bit different to what will happen to those who will transfer an existing number.
which is why i asked here first :-)

thanks

Osprey06

Post by Osprey06 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:04 am

Lawrie wrote:And the next step is to ensure continuity of the ported number being displayed in the White Pages directory (unless it is a silent number of course)
Hi,

Could I please confirm porting your existing PSTN number to a VOIP would mean this number could be used in the White Pages year-to-year?

Thanks,
James

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi,

Could I please confirm porting your existing PSTN number to a VOIP would mean this number could be used in the White Pages year-to-year?

Thanks,
I'll get this checked out and advise

@soaper - not a whole lot we can do, but I am surprised they have brickwalled you on this.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi,

Thanks,
I've been advised that you should be able to as the only thing that changes is how the number is connected

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Dear paulp or other exetel staff,

I'm one invovled in this porting out. And now I found a wired Cut Over date in Application Status website.

Estimated Date For Phone/ADSL2 Cut Over * 2009-11-11

Is this a typo or something else?

cheers

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 am

Dear paulp or other exetel staff,

I'm one invovled in this porting out. And now I found a wired Cut Over date in Application Status website.

Estimated Date For Phone/ADSL2 Cut Over * 2009-11-11

Is this a typo or something else?

cheers
Hi,

Please ignore this.. I will advise of the proper date.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:21 pm

paulp wrote:
@soaper - not a whole lot we can do, but I am surprised they have brickwalled you on this.
ummmmmmmmm
if i said i just spent 1.5 hours talking to 5 people at telstra and had to spell "naked" and "VOIP" to two of them...........would u still be suprised :roll: :cry: :shock:

my old number is quarantined still

reputedly it belongs to you exetel/optus .
the only way it can emerge again is for you to ask telstra for it

i dont know if that is really the whole story but it is the most sensible i could get

not one of the people i spoke to in *porting* or sales knew what VOIP was.
let alone the naked variant :cry:

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 pm

paulp wrote:Hi,

To answer Lawrie's question;
If I ported my existing PSTN number to a VoIP DID, without cancelling the PSTN, will I be allocated a new PSTN number.
This answer is no. Once the PSTN is ported to VOIP, the line becomes ceased. If you wanted a PSTN fall back once you activated your naked ASDL2 with Exetel, we could provide you with a new number, but in effect it then becomes a bundled service - sort of defeats the purpose of what we want to achieve in terms of naked ADSL2 customers wanting VOIP only, unless the fallback is vital for you.
So are you saying that this porting service can only be used in conjunction with a transfer to a Naked service?

I would like to convert my existing PSTN number to my VoIP, but keep the existing INC2DSL with PSTN service for a trial period of time. I would not care what number I was then assigned for this PSTN service as it would not be advertised anywhere and would only be used as a fallback.

At the moment I only use my Exetel VoIP service for outgoing calls, all incoming calls use my PSTN number, but if I could do what I am asking for, I would be able to use the VoIP for both incoming as well as outgoing calls, but still have the PSTN fall back.

After trialling this level of VoIP usage I may be able to convince my family to "do the full monty" and then convert to a Naked ADSL2 service.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:00 am

Hi,
So are you saying that this porting service can only be used in conjunction with a transfer to a Naked service?

I would like to convert my existing PSTN number to my VoIP, but keep the existing INC2DSL with PSTN service for a trial period of time. I would not care what number I was then assigned for this PSTN service as it would not be advertised anywhere and would only be used as a fallback.

At the moment I only use my Exetel VoIP service for outgoing calls, all incoming calls use my PSTN number, but if I could do what I am asking for, I would be able to use the VoIP for both incoming as well as outgoing calls, but still have the PSTN fall back.

After trialling this level of VoIP usage I may be able to convince my family to "do the full monty" and then convert to a Naked ADSL2 service.
Currently this service is applying for those wishing to apply for naked ADSL2 service. What you are asking for is essentially a two step process. Current INC customers in the near future can opt to transfer their PSTN to VOIP, however, in doing this, it will leave their line as a naked ADSL2 service. What you're requesting would mean after doing this, then re-activating the telephone with a new number, which we can do but would cost an additional fee for having the telephone re-activated again after it is automatically deactivated when you're porting the number through to VOIP

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 am

paulp wrote: Current INC customers in the near future can opt to transfer their PSTN to VOIP, however, in doing this, it will leave their line as a naked ADSL2 service. What you're requesting would mean after doing this, then re-activating the telephone with a new number, which we can do but would cost an additional fee for having the telephone re-activated again after it is automatically deactivated when you're porting the number through to VOIP
Thanks. I wanted to know that too.

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Paulp,

Any update for the trial customers?

I just found cut over date has been changed to 2009-03-23. Is this the final estimated date?

cheers
taoyang

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 am

Hi,

Yes this is the date at this stage. Your order is currently going through

I'll advise if there is any issue but 23rd is the date at this stage