Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
toast

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by toast » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi guys,

Are there plans to create a FAQ regarding the PSTN -> Exetel VoIP service? I'd like one :)

Anyway, my two questions that I would like to see answered are as follows:

1. After moving a PSTN number to VoIP, what is the process for moving it back? i.e. when Exetel go bankrupt. Can customers ask Telstra to reconnect to the Telstra PSTN network with a VoIP number that they 'owned' from Exetel?

2. If an existing Telstra customer has two PSTN numbers associated with the phoneline (they have different ringtones) can Exetel move both the numbers to VoIP or only the first number put in on the Naked application. Now that I think about it, Exetel would have to move both to VoIP because the PSTN part will be dead!

Thanks,
Clive

russellb

Post by russellb » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 am

Hi all
Can I come in late on this thread and ask whether it will be possible to port my phone number to VOIP over HSPA?

We are planning to travel, and I am therefore intending to go completely wireless, closing down my current ADSL1 service - we're not in an area where naked ADSL can be provided.

It would be great if we could just "carry" our home phone number with us, as well as not having to notify everyone of a change of number.

As I read the discussion above, it seems porting is available only to naked ADSL, but it's worth asking.

Thanks for opinions/information

Russell

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 pm

russellb wrote:Hi all
Can I come in late on this thread and ask whether it will be possible to port my phone number to VOIP over HSPA?

We are planning to travel, and I am therefore intending to go completely wireless, closing down my current ADSL1 service - we're not in an area where naked ADSL can be provided.

It would be great if we could just "carry" our home phone number with us, as well as not having to notify everyone of a change of number.

As I read the discussion above, it seems porting is available only to naked ADSL, but it's worth asking.

Thanks for opinions/information

Russell
Why not?
My understanding is that Exetel's voip service is irrespective of your network. You can use it over DSL, HSPA, WiFi or whatever broadband you have.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Clive,
Hi guys,

Are there plans to create a FAQ regarding the PSTN -> Exetel VoIP service? I'd like one :)

Anyway, my two questions that I would like to see answered are as follows:

1. After moving a PSTN number to VoIP, what is the process for moving it back? i.e. when Exetel go bankrupt. Can customers ask Telstra to reconnect to the Telstra PSTN network with a VoIP number that they 'owned' from Exetel?

2. If an existing Telstra customer has two PSTN numbers associated with the phoneline (they have different ringtones) can Exetel move both the numbers to VoIP or only the first number put in on the Naked application. Now that I think about it, Exetel would have to move both to VoIP because the PSTN part will be dead!

Thanks,
Clive
Yes there will be one soon - because we are still testing, we want to be very specific and correct once the testing is complete.

To answer your questions thus far;
1. You can simply call Telstra and they will move the number as a PSTN. It's like moving your number to any other provider, the only difference is the switching.
2. If a customer has 2 numbers on the same line, the PRIMARY number would be ported only - the secondary number is a complex services which would disappear. However, this may not even go through as a secondary number is classed as a complex services. So in all probability we would have to wait until the complex service is removed.

@russelb

- Once we finalize the PSTN to VOIP for naked adsl2, it should be more than possible through HSPA(yet to be determined at this stage). In any event, because VOIP works via I.P there is no reason why you can't carry it anywhere you like, provided you have an active connection and the right software.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks for the answers Paul. Funnily enough the house has two physical lines, the second one isn't used, a relic of a 24x7 dialup connection in the 90's.

In this scenario, I think it would make sense for me to transfer the second number to that second phone line. Ask Exetel to transfer the first line to Naked+VoIP, then once that's complete, talk to Exetel about moving the second number to VoIP. Possibly creating a new account with Exetel because it is a phone number for a social club.

Thanks for the input.

csouter

Post by csouter » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 am

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I must apologise for what is, in effect, a re-post. I posted these questions yesterday in the VoIP forum, not knowing that there was already a discussion about the same topic in this forum. I'll post a follow-up message there, with a link to this thread. So far, there have been no replies to my original post.

I find this possibility very interesting and I have some questions which I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to answer for me.

Firstly, a little background to my circumstances:

At the time when I first joined Exetel in early 2004, I already had two home phone lines. One was exclusively for use with my (then) existing ISP dialup account. The other was exclusively for normal PSTN voice and fax services. They were both standard Telstra residential lines. At that time, my domestic circumstances necessitated two fully-functioning standard landlines.

The two numbers I had from Telstra were consecutive, e.g., Line #1 was something like 02 8888 8888 and Line #2 was something like 02 8888 8889. (These are not the actual numbers, just an example). Line #1 was used as the standard phone line and Line #2 was for dialup internet. When I joined Exetel, I cancelled my dialup ISP account and Line #2 became my ADSL line, whilst Line #1 remained connected as a standard line, in case I might need to send a fax, as well as for the (almost) exclusive use of my wife for voice communications.

Late last year, my wife lost an 8-year battle with breast cancer, and I am now living alone, with absolutely no need for two phone lines. In February this year, my Exetel ADSL2+ service was converted to Naked DSL and, as a part of that service, I was automatically given a VoIP number (which I haven't yet used, apart from one or two calls made for testing purposes).

Now, my questions are as follows:

Question #1:
Now that Line #2 is a naked DSL line (i.e., effectively "disconnected" from Telstra), does anyone know (in the light of the news letter excerpt quoted above), whether or not I might also be able to disconnect Line #1 from Telstra, retaining "ownership" of the number and transferring it to my Naked DSL service (for use with VoIP), replacing my current VoIP number with the Line #1 number?

(I'm really hoping that this would be possible, as it would make my communications setup far more efficient and economical, saving me quite a lot in monthly fees, line rental, call charges, etc).

Question #2:
If the answer to Question #1 is "Yes," if and when this service becomes available around the end of March (as stated in the News Letter excerpt quoted above), how should I go about making the change? What would I need to do first, disconnect from Telstra, or make application to Exetel?

I hope you don't find my explanation of the current situation too confusing! :?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can give me!

It would really great to have NO MORE BILLS FROM TELSTRA!!! :D

Best regards to all
Christopher Souter

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 am

Hi Paulp,

I'm in this porting out trial and waitting for the cutover on 23rd.
In what time will I get the access to User Facility, the modem settings? Would you plz give me access if possible?

cheers

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:45 am

HI,

I will advise you once you have this, The modem you generally receive 3-4 working days prior to activation.

I will advise once this is going through and modem ship date.

loudon

Post by loudon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm

When this PSTN to Voip porting becomes available........

... will we be able to port regional numbers too?

(and so, in my instance, I'll be able to have a Townsville, N Qld number).

H.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:19 pm

loudon wrote:When this PSTN to Voip porting becomes available........

... will we be able to port regional numbers too?

(and so, in my instance, I'll be able to have a Townsville, N Qld number).

H.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p236676

loudon

Post by loudon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for that.

So it looks like regional numbers can apply.

I note also that "currently" this is only for "naked" connections.

I wonder if it could be for fax-in numbers too?

H.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I wonder if it could be for fax-in numbers too?
If it's a standard PSTN in whereby your using it as a fax, this is physically possible.

if it's an add on function from Telstra it won't be possible.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:20 pm

But if you plan on using it as a fax line over VOIP it may not work. Better to purchase a virtual fax no. from Exetel. (In member facilities)

taoyang

Post by taoyang » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:51 pm

I want to share my experience with others.

My Estimated Date For Line Activation was 23rd/mar, and I got a call from an Exetel's staff (I reckon it's Paul, but not 100% sure) this afternoon.

I was told there may be a delay of my PSTN porting out for some reasons. To minimise the pain of waitting for internet, Exetel will offer me a temporary HSPA before my connection. And the best thing is it's free.

Very impresive service. I would say thank you, Exetel and your excellent staffs.

cheers
Taoyang

loudon

Post by loudon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 pm

loudon wrote:I wonder if it could be for fax-in numbers too?
I currently have a fax-in DID number from Exetel.

It's a Brisbane number..... and I am based in Townsville.

I'd prefer a Townsville number (to receive faxes on).

What I was "wondering" about was, if I was able to "reclaim" an old PSTN number (which has previously been ported to a Voip provider)...... would Exetel allow it to be used as my fax-in number (instead of the current Brisbane one)?

H.