Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
derman

Re: Transfer Your Current PSTN Home Number To Exetel VoIP

Post by derman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi,

I currently have an Optus number and would like that transfered, I've heard alot on this forum to do with Telstra numbers but nothing on Optus numbers, thanks.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 pm

csouter wrote:Question #1:
Now that Line #2 is a naked DSL line (i.e., effectively "disconnected" from Telstra), does anyone know (in the light of the news letter excerpt quoted above), whether or not I might also be able to disconnect Line #1 from Telstra, retaining "ownership" of the number and transferring it to my Naked DSL service (for use with VoIP), replacing my current VoIP number with the Line #1 number?

(I'm really hoping that this would be possible, as it would make my communications setup far more efficient and economical, saving me quite a lot in monthly fees, line rental, call charges, etc).
Yes
Question #2:
If the answer to Question #1 is "Yes," if and when this service becomes available around the end of March (as stated in the News Letter excerpt quoted above), how should I go about making the change? What would I need to do first, disconnect from Telstra, or make application to Exetel?
Apply to Exetel. Details on how etc will be issuedonce they are available and the service goes live. Until then, start counting downyour last payments to Telstra. At least you're on the last hand (ie 5 or less to go) - hopefully almost up to the thumb (ie 1).

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,

You are able to transfer Optus PSTN' to VOIP (as per my previous comments about those customers who have bundled services with us)

csouter

Post by csouter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi,
peterh_oz wrote:Apply to Exetel. Details on how etc will be issued once they are available and the service goes live. Until then, start counting down your last payments to Telstra. At least you're on the last hand (ie 5 or less to go) - hopefully almost up to the thumb (ie 1).
Many thanks for your info!

I think maybe it would be better wait until the service goes "live" before I apply.

Waiting with "bated breath!" :lol:

Thanks and regards
Chris Souter

GoDees

Post by GoDees » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Any update yet ?
Its late on Tue the 24th, and I only joined Exetel "Naked" 3 weeks ago and had to release my old number.

I'd be eager as anything to get it back whilst its still available :)

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi,

We are aiming for launch very early next month. The final physical links need to be established upon which then we can start processing these.

Rico

Post by Rico » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:03 pm

I am in the process of moving and would like to port my pstn number, does anyone know should i not cut off my old line and number i wish to port untill i know i can be done with exetel voip? Or does anyone know if you can still hold on to an old number and if so for how long after it has been deactivated....Telstra in this case.

Thanks

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 am

I am in the process of moving and would like to port my pstn number, does anyone know should i not cut off my old line and number i wish to port untill i know i can be done with exetel voip? Or does anyone know if you can still hold on to an old number and if so for how long after it has been deactivated....Telstra in this case.
You must keep your telephone number active until the process for exetel pstn -> VOIP is setup.

If you cancel your telephone number now, it will be moved into a non-transferable pool and further to this, we actually need an active telephone service.

Rico

Post by Rico » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks paulp i will keep my line/number active so i will just sit and wait until porting is available. Is there an update on this yet paulp?

Thanks

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi,

Early April - Can't give an exact date but it should be some time in the first week or second of April.

Rico

Post by Rico » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks paulp can i also ask can the porting and adding voip services to your account happen at the same time? Or do you have to take a Exetel DID first at time of setup before you can port another number?

Cheers

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'm currently connected to Optus Cable with 2 PSTN phone lines (one home, one business - both on Optus equipment), but I'm looking to switch to Exetel with the end goal of porting the two PTSN numbers across to VOIP and running it all from an Exetel Naked ADSL2+ connection. What I would like to know is: firstly, is it possible to have two VOIP plans going at the same time (they'd be connected to separate lines/wiring)? And secondly, how do I go about it?

I would assume that the best way to do it would be to switch one of the phone lines (probably the home line) across to Telstra (who conveniently called me last night offering to do it for free with no obligation to stay... are they monitoring my thoughts somehow???), then sign up for a naked ADSL2+ plan with Exetel and apply for the PTSN on the home line to be ported across to the VOIP service (I assume this would be the procedure once the service goes live???). Once this is up and running I would then apply for a second VOIP plan and have the PSTN from my business line (which would still be with Optus) transferred across to Exetel VOIP. Finally, I would cancel my Optus Cable broadband service and all remaining services with Optus.

Are there any problems with this brilliant plan of mine? i.e. Is it possible to port the second PSTN across from Optus or does it have to be switched to Telstra first (I'm pretty sure I read that it could be done, but I just want to be doubly sure)...

(BTW, I apologise if you feel this is in the wrong thread/forum - it's just that PSTN portability of BOTH my numbers is the most important thing for me. If I can't be 100% sure of it's success, I won't do it)

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:39 am

@ Rico

- When you port a number it automatically becomes a DID number. You don't have to pro-actively do anything as this is part of the process.

@ sparkyboy767
I would assume that the best way to do it would be to switch one of the phone lines (probably the home line) across to Telstra (who conveniently called me last night offering to do it for free with no obligation to stay... are they monitoring my thoughts somehow???), then sign up for a naked ADSL2+ plan with Exetel and apply for the PTSN on the home line to be ported across to the VOIP service (I assume this would be the procedure once the service goes live???). Once this is up and running I would then apply for a second VOIP plan and have the PSTN from my business line (which would still be with Optus) transferred across to Exetel VOIP. Finally, I would cancel my Optus Cable broadband service and all remaining services with Optus.
- That would be the best way to approach it(assuming both numbers run from the HFC(cable) network and not the adsl2 copper network here). Of course, in regards to the business number I don't know if there are any additional obligations you need to be aware of with your current number - but know that when you port both they become standard residential VOIP numbers and are subjected as such. If the business number is on the cable network, that would also need to be switche to Telstra direct before we can transfer across if that number is on the cable network.

Rico

Post by Rico » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm

paulp

I understand that a number being ported will become a DID number but what i was trying to ask is can this number be chosen at time of voip setup?

sparkyboy767

Post by sparkyboy767 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm

paulp wrote:@ Rico
That would be the best way to approach it(assuming both numbers run from the HFC(cable) network and not the adsl2 copper network here). Of course, in regards to the business number I don't know if there are any additional obligations you need to be aware of with your current number - but know that when you port both they become standard residential VOIP numbers and are subjected as such. If the business number is on the cable network, that would also need to be switche to Telstra direct before we can transfer across if that number is on the cable network.
Thanks for the reply.

Since writing that post, I've decided NOT to go with Naked ADSL2+, but rather keep the PSTN line for the business and just port the home phone number across to VOIP (partly because I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with VOIP, partly because VOIP is too problematic for faxes, and largely because that peace of mind only costs an extra $10/month). Now if I understand you correctly, I will need to move my home phone line across to Telstra before you can port the number across to VOIP - is that correct? Of course, my business line will also need to be transferred to Telstra copper lines in order to get ADSL2+ up and running, so it'd be great if I could confirm this so that I can get both lines switched over at the same time. And, yes, both lines are currently connected to Optus' HFC.

May I ask when the number porting service will be available? Days? Weeks? Months? Just want to know when to get the ball rolling with Telstra...

And also, at what stage of the process would I get the home line ported across to VOIP? Would that occur when I sign up for Exetel ADSL2+ (i.e. instead of getting some random DID, I can port the home number across)? Or is it something that I do after I have an account established with Exetel? I want to get this right because there will be hell to pay (for me) if I lose that number....

Thanks for your help.... Looking forward to joining the Exetel club!

Cheers :)