Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Alcor1

Re: Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Post by Alcor1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:56 pm

So what is the problem with the current capped plans? Are you saying that they are no longer competitive compared with the major carriers?

I am currently on the Exetel $20 capped plan and have been so since very close to when Exetel started offering mobile services. I have been extremely happy with the arrangement and I continually tell people about this great plan.

I'm concerned that new offerings would not represent the same value for money. I had a look at some past bills and on average I seem to make around 40 calls a month and send 100+ SMS messages. For me SMS is a very important part of the mobile service and I believe that this is representative, at least for the younger demographic.

The suggestion that the SMS component could be replaced by the Exetel online SMS service does not make much sense. If I am in front of the computer then I am likely to send an e-mail, or Facebook message, or call from the landline, etc., rather than send an SMS. The SMS is handy for all the times that I am out and about.

I would also like to not run out of prepaid calls at some crucial moment, as I often hear from people on pre-paid plans.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I currently use the Mobile 2 plan, and I very rarely use more than my included call charges. I'm extremely happy with the plan that I have and I'm not sure that I would use 50 calls per month (I think the most I've used is about 15 calls. I mostly use my mobile for SMS when I'm not at home, and I use the Exetel web SMS when I'm home). Could there be an option to purchase smaller blocks of calls for very infrequent users? Maybe rollover unused calls to future months? Could some of the allowance be allocated to SMS?

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 pm

ok.. so is this free mobile calls are through voip only or on a new mobile plan.
personally i prefer that Exetel keep 'per minute' and if possible 'cap plans'. i like the cheap call rate as well as cheap data rate on this plan.
if Exetel can bundle the mobile service with ADSL and allow usersto allocate some of their ADSL data allowance (ofcouse the it won't be 1:1 transfer rate) on mobile data then nothing can beat that :)

kaotickelly

Post by kaotickelly » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Just to clarify, you are talking about 100 untimed calls for $25?? Given that there maybe some fair use policy behind this, e.g. 20min per call (like Yes time), I think that would be a very good deal. If the quality of the calls are just like normal carriers, which I assume is the case, then I'd be happy to sign up whether it's with Optus or Voda (after my contract with 3 finishes in Sep :P).

vlvl

Post by vlvl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:19 pm

"The 50 calls per month for $12.50 or some simple variation of charging per call (irrespective of the type of call or actual length)" sounds like an interesting option for the existing HSPA M1 - HA plan I already have with Exetel.

myo007

Post by myo007 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:33 pm

We just want cheap rate Data for using internet over mobile phones and make Skype phone calls by software over Mobile phone.

When away from home want to surf internet to search somethings, maps , phone numbers, Google, cuisines or emails convenience.

As a lot people had been involved in Skype subscription, we want to make free phone calls to landlines and limited cheap overseas countries over Mobile phones, that need Data internet. Currently 3 has Skype offer plans but still under restriction and rate is not that cheap.

We want to buy Pre-paid one off data plan like buying phone overseas call phone cards, don't want to lock up with contract or monthly Bill pays in mobile phone, freedom is better. Pay as we go.

So please spend cheaper and fair data rate for us to use internet access over mobile.

I hope you can beat all carriers/ providers in Australia to use Data or Web streaming over Mobile phones.

Donna Pearce

Post by Donna Pearce » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:37 pm

I would love to use the mobile service from Exetel. I am very happy with the internet service and have been with Exetel for quite some time.
I have had quite a problem with Telstra mobile service, and have finally given up on it, and have a small prepaid phone that I am using at this time. I think the 100 call plan would be great, just what I need. Just let me know when you are starting, and how to set up my mobile phone.
I had so much trouble with Telstra that I just started using your SMS service. It's great, too, and much easier to send the message than using my mobile phone.
Good luck with your new enterprise.
Donna Pearce, Macleay Island, Qld

chaase

Post by chaase » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Why not be a bit radical and take an approach that other carriers have not adopted.
"Automatic Shifting Capped Plans"

Current Issue - Have a fixed capped plan,
If I make excessive called I get charged at the call cost of the locked in plan which can get excessive.
If I have a quiet month I waste my allowance.

How About
A plan thats cap automatically moves depending of how many calls you make.
ie starts as a $20/month cap but if threshold allowance is exceeded it jumps to the next plan with call costs based on the next plan as so forth so if I have a very busy month I may jump 3 plan caps and get the benefit with ALL calls based on the reduced cost of that plan. If it's a quiet month ie if on holidays call cost is lower as its based on a low end plan.

I am sure a lot of businesses would jump at something like this as currently the best offering currently available is shared plans.

Bruce
Last edited by chaase on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czar

Post by czar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:00 pm

neilbags wrote:I am a current Exetel HSPA customer, but am now thinking of switching to PennySIM.

Their new deal allows free calls between PennySIM users as well as free calls to Pennytel VOIP DIDs and their VOIP gateway number. So I can use their gateway to make all my calls and all I pay are the VOIP rates.

Here are the details:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=PennySim_FAQ

I really think that tying mobile plans in with VOIP is the way forward. If Pennytel can strike this type of deal with Optus then maybe Exetel can do something similar.
I too am seriously considering this deal - but would hate to loose Exetel as my HSPA data provider - layer2 & static IP seem to work very reliably!!

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm

So what is the problem with the current capped plans? Are you saying that they are no longer competitive compared with the major carriers?
They are very competitive. To remain that way and stay competitive is becoming iuncreasingly difficult with our limited buying power with our suppliers.
Just to clarify, you are talking about 100 untimed calls for $25??
Something like that.
Given that there maybe some fair use policy behind this, e.g. 20min per call (like Yes time), I think that would be a very good deal.
There would probably be some fair use policy.
ok.. so is this free mobile calls are through voip only or on a new mobile plan.
personally i prefer that Exetel keep 'per minute' and if possible 'cap plans'. i like the cheap call rate as well as cheap data rate on this plan.
if Exetel can bundle the mobile service with ADSL and allow usersto allocate some of their ADSL data allowance (ofcouse the it won't be 1:1 transfer rate) on mobile data then nothing can beat that
hmmm interesting.
Could some of the allowance be allocated to SMS?
Popssibly. It's one option.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Another idea, what if you do have more than one mobile, can you bundle them together to create a pool allocation. i.e. 2 phones = 200 call pool, but one phone could use 150 of them and the other phone use 50?
Possibly. It's an option we can consider.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.
Sounds like Landmark.

psst

Post by psst » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

"irrespective of the type of call or actual length" - does that apply to international and roaming calls as well?

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm

The plans we (family) are on. VirginMobile Bean Counter.....
Quite simply, it would be totally commercially irresponsible if Exetel tried to compete with this plan.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm

"irrespective of the type of call or actual length" - does that apply to international and roaming calls as well?
No, it wouldn't. It would be only on domestic major tariff calls.

kelw

Post by kelw » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I would like something simple for the mobile user who is usually spending between $5 - $10 per month, total calls between 10 and 20.

I am very happy with the Vodafone service.

I would also be interested in plans which could combine 2 or more mobiles in the one account. Free calls between these mobiles would be great for me.

I also use Naked DSL and VoIP at home.

Kel White
Kel White
Exetel user since 2004