Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
David.Melbourne

Re: Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Post by David.Melbourne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Quite simply, it would be totally commercially irresponsible if Exetel tried to compete with this plan.
ExetelVoice,
How so? Im pretty well uneducated when it comes to all this but isnt the kind of things that Exetel is proposing almost a "Bean Counter Killer"?
So my question is hoiw come Exetel say its commercially irresponsible when it seems (at say $25 for 100 calls) to be well up there, if not better?
No way Id be currently getting anything like 100 calls per month. (especially when you factor in flagfall.) Be interested in your thinking.
Cheers

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

dbr wrote:One of the reasons I joined Exetel for mobile was the basis of the plans. No monthly cost with a fair usage cost. I detest the idea of minimum spend, feel caps are overrated and 'oblige' one to spend more.

So my main request / suggestion is that you retain at least one low volume plan with reasonable call rates on a no minimum spend.
I'll second this. Caps and included calls are just traps for people who are bad a maths.

Minimum call rates with no minimum spend is all I ask for.

spots

Post by spots » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi

The simplest thing for Exetel to do is offer a service which you pay for what you use. A company called Unison (now taken over by Talk Down Under), used to provide this kind of service. If they could do it (with their almost complete lack of automation), then you folks will do very well by it. Note that Talk Down Under has now stopped offering these types of plans.

Originally Unison offered $0 monthly fee and pay for what you use. They did require a credit card I believe.
Then they offered $1 monthly fee with $1 included calls.
For both of these offerings, Unison charged low per minute rates and low sms rates. Thus they were actually quite competitive compared with the big carrier bundled rates (for lower usage plans). Generally with the bundled plans, their per call rates and sms rates are quite high, thus they effectively trick you into thinking that you are getting good value.

We would certainly think about switching to Exetel if they offered something like this, as the plans we are on with the old Unison are no longer offered. Plus I really like where Exetel is heading along with the flora and fauna projects which it supports.

Cheers,
Jason.

spots

Post by spots » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:58 pm

Another thing I should add is that one should not necessarily bundle the mobile offering with ADSL.
I currently do not have ADSL since we live too far from an exchange. However I used to be with Exetel and would sign up again if the ADSL reach was improved. So don't rule out customers by only offering the mobile plans as a bundle.

Also, don't assume that people will not use mobile sms when there is cheaper alternative. People with mobile phones will use sms because they are not near their computer. Or they might just be too lazy to got to the computer to send a reply. Thus there will always be a market for mobile based sms even with cheaper alternatives.

glenandrew

Post by glenandrew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Another idea, what if you do have more than one mobile, can you bundle them together to create a pool allocation. i.e. 2 phones = 200 call pool, but one phone could use 150 of them and the other phone use 50?
yep the 100 calls for $25 would be great if it could be allocated over 2 or 3 phones.

Alcor1

Post by Alcor1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:12 pm

dsc68 wrote:Caps and included calls are just traps for people who are bad a maths.

Minimum call rates with no minimum spend is all I ask for.
Not sure that is the case!

Exetel $20 cap = $160 included credit, that's around 200mins talk time or 640 SMS messages.

At the VirginMobile Bean Counter rates mentioned in this thread, which are pretty incredible (10c/min, 10c/SMS), the same would cost 10c x 200 = $20, 10c x 640 = $64. Equivalent for calls, but a far cry for SMS.

One just needs to select the cap that fits their needs!

I'm very concerned that any new mobile offerings will not represent the same value as what I am getting from Exetel at the moment, at least for my mobile usage patterns.

maxemum

Post by maxemum » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm presently with www.revtel.com.au/, they're off the Vodaphone network
Their service (hic) is much how I understand Exetel tries to work
Bare minumum - pay for what you use
No connect fee
10c for 30 seconds
minimal help desk
pay extra for retrieving messages etc

Les

Post by Les » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I personally think the idea of billing per call rather than per minute is a great idea, and would redefine the market if implemented well.

I personally wouldn't like to commit to a set amount for a set number of calls each month due to the variable nature of my and my familys mobile usage which is why I consider the current plans offer good value.

I personally would have no problem pre-purchasing anwhere from $25 to $100 of credit provided the credit had no expiry like on the PAYU ADSL plans.

I would like to be able to link multiple mobile services to the one credit pool so you can have 3 or 4 mobiles without having to setup 3 or 4 pools of credit.

I would like to see a auto-recharge so that once my credit reaches my pre-defined level (Eg $5.00) Exetel would automatically debit me for my pre-defined amount (Eg $50) of additional credit.

Whilst I would expect that some conditions regarding call length would apply (Eg 5 Minutes) I would expect that if I made a call that exceeded the call length my credit would be debitted as if I had made multiple calls (each of the maximum call length) to that number rather than being billed at a separate rate for the part of the call that exceeds the permitted call length.

As my wife and kids tend to use SMS in place of making calls (and would not be inclined to use another application to send an SMS) you should charge (debit) for each SMS at as low a rate as commercially possible.

I would be more than happy to pay $0.30 per call and $0.15 per SMS and accept a call length limit of 5 minutes.

pegi

Post by pegi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 pm

I really wish I could help but living in country NSW where Vodafone is not availble... Can't help. Not network in our area. There is a lot I would like to to do with Exetel but to no avail.

Thanks for the great services and offers.
When people ring up trying to make me switch, they are astonished about my situation. If I could do my whole phone to Exetel I will.

Cheers and keep the good work. You are a great company! : :)
"Trying is better than doing nothing"

fester

Post by fester » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Alcor1 wrote:So what is the problem with the current capped plans? Are you saying that they are no longer competitive compared with the major carriers?

I am currently on the Exetel $20 capped plan and have been so since very close to when Exetel started offering mobile services. I have been extremely happy with the arrangement and I continually tell people about this great plan.

I'm concerned that new offerings would not represent the same value for money. I had a look at some past bills and on average I seem to make around 40 calls a month and send 100+ SMS messages. For me SMS is a very important part of the mobile service and I believe that this is representative, at least for the younger demographic.

The suggestion that the SMS component could be replaced by the Exetel online SMS service does not make much sense. If I am in front of the computer then I am likely to send an e-mail, or Facebook message, or call from the landline, etc., rather than send an SMS. The SMS is handy for all the times that I am out and about.

I would also like to not run out of prepaid calls at some crucial moment, as I often hear from people on pre-paid plans.
DItto.

Hell why not have a cap plan without the BS i.e

my current 20$ plan = $160 of calls, so esentualy just divite by 8.....
That works out to realistically costing me (excuse the bush maths) 9.3 cents per minute to talk plus flagfall
same for txt messages, if i sent a txt with every cent of my "cap" that would be 3.2 cents per txt - how appealing would that sound for a txt alcoholic?

kudabird

Post by kudabird » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi. I have 3 phones on Mobile 1 plans. I changed my mobile and ADSL to Exetel because of these plans. If Exetel was to ditch it's low monthly fee (zero in my case) access and per second billing then I would have to reconsider my options. I have no interest in capped plans.

And can I take this oppertunity to restate what I said in John's blog recently and that is all these plan changes are starting to become counter productive. For the most part, Exetel's simple plan choices and efficiency are the very reason for it's success. I was seriously considering changing my TELH to INC2DSLA. This is a $10 increase to my plan but I'm fortunate that my ADSL is partially reimbursed. With a 12 month contract however, along with (now) potential mobile changes I have no choice but to sit tight. Fine, add value if you want; even increase the price if costs are on the increase, but complicating and linking the various plan options is surely only going to complicate things.

briancd

Post by briancd » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

My main service is in rural NSW and the vodafone signal at my home is a real hit and miss (mostly miss). I like the capped call rate but would prefer it if i could get more use from my phone.

mily

Post by mily » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 pm

I would like to see a plan similar to pennysim, enough free calls within exetel network, mobile-mobile and mobile-voip, voip-mobile etc. And keep current low GPRS/3G data rate.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm

kudabird wrote:
And can I take this oppertunity to restate what I said in John's blog recently and that is all these plan changes are starting to become counter productive. For the most part, Exetel's simple plan choices and efficiency are the very reason for it's success..
This is my last attempt at getting all residential services correct.

I really need to concentate on other areas of the business but to allow me to do that I need to be able to "forget about" residential plans for six months.

So I'm trying to make every residential offering maximally attractive for some time so I can take a break and come back and do ther things.

I'm mentally and physically exhausted after working so many hours every day of every week for the past five years without a break.

wazza

Post by wazza » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:12 pm

I currently have two mobile services with exetel. Both are $0 per month. I would like to see exetel continue to provide this option as our infrequent usage makes this a perfect option.