Re: Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Post by calljennycraig » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi,
The reasons I changed to Exetel for my mobile were the following:
-Low call rates, billed per second
-No flagfall, as I usually on make short calls
-No minimum spend, as I don't make that many calls per month
-Free Exetel to Exetel calls

I like the simple plans where you just pay for what you use. I'd like these plans to stay.

Being able to access internet via the phone is good but haven't used that part yet. maybe one day?

As for something different:

Being able to buy a block of calls which have no, or very long expiry, may be attractive, especially if a number of mobiles could consume from one block of calls with an automatic top up. A time limit on these would be acceptable and longer calls could just use additional call units like when an SMS goes part 160 characters.

Free voicemail deposit and retrival would be nice but the current rates are ok.

Being able to bundle your mobile phone with a HSPA service might be an option.

Cheap calls between you Exetel home phone and your Exetel mobile, and vice versa would be nice

bartv

Post by bartv » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Like some of the others, I am currently a Bean Counter. If Exetel can come up with something that is significantly better, I and others in my family would most likely jump on board. Note that the free voicemail is a significant benefit of the bean counter deal.

Re SMS - it would still be useful to have an SMS deal, as we cannot normally access the web service while on the road.

Cheers

soaper

Post by soaper » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:48 pm

wazza wrote:I currently have two mobile services with exetel. Both are $0 per month. I would like to see exetel continue to provide this option as our infrequent usage makes this a perfect option.
what he said

i like the basic, pay by the minute plans which we are on now.
small simple plans for non complicated lifestyles :D :D

personally i am perfectly happy with how things are right now ..... across the board

i had cause to recently check some records of 10 years ago for usage of 2 mobiles, home phone, internet plan and a seperate internet line on dial up

it was more than twice what i am paying now

ok, so i use way less mobile calls than then ....but i think i have a great deal

:)

fallingbackwards

Post by fallingbackwards » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:08 pm

50 mobile calls a month for $12.50
Id certainly be interested, provided I am able to port my current number.
Will the offer only apply to one account, that is what if I wished to have more than one account - two cell phones with different carriers at the moment.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 pm

atmint wrote:Hello,
What about an iPhone offering?
atmint
An iphone is a phone that uses data and makes phone calls. Don't ALL exetel plans offer this? What sort of "iphone offering" would differentiate the plan from a non-iphone plan?

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:30 pm

myo007 wrote:We just want cheap rate Data for using internet over mobile phones and make Skype phone calls by software over Mobile phone.

When away from home want to surf internet to search somethings, maps , phone numbers, Google, cuisines or emails convenience.

As a lot people had been involved in Skype subscription, we want to make free phone calls to landlines and limited cheap overseas countries over Mobile phones, that need Data internet. Currently 3 has Skype offer plans but still under restriction and rate is not that cheap.

We want to buy Pre-paid one off data plan like buying phone overseas call phone cards, don't want to lock up with contract or monthly Bill pays in mobile phone, freedom is better. Pay as we go.

So please spend cheaper and fair data rate for us to use internet access over mobile.

I hope you can beat all carriers/ providers in Australia to use Data or Web streaming over Mobile phones.
Sounds like the existing HSPA/M1/HA plan would suit you perfectly. $5 per month then pay for your usage (1.5c/Mb = $15 per Gb).

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Donna Pearce wrote:I would love to use the mobile service from Exetel. I am very happy with the internet service and have been with Exetel for quite some time.
I have had quite a problem with Telstra mobile service, and have finally given up on it, and have a small prepaid phone that I am using at this time. I think the 100 call plan would be great, just what I need. Just let me know when you are starting, and how to set up my mobile phone.
I had so much trouble with Telstra that I just started using your SMS service. It's great, too, and much easier to send the message than using my mobile phone.
Good luck with your new enterprise.
Donna Pearce, Macleay Island, Qld
Have you looked at the Exetel $10 Cap?

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm

dsc68 wrote:
dbr wrote:One of the reasons I joined Exetel for mobile was the basis of the plans. No monthly cost with a fair usage cost. I detest the idea of minimum spend, feel caps are overrated and 'oblige' one to spend more.

So my main request / suggestion is that you retain at least one low volume plan with reasonable call rates on a no minimum spend.
I'll second this. Caps and included calls are just traps for people who are bad a maths.

Minimum call rates with no minimum spend is all I ask for.
Caps can be ok, but u have to check whether they are worthwhile or not. If you use most of your cap allowance, they can be cheap. But if are only slightly over the actual amount (eg you spend $41 on a $40 cap) then you're paying WAY too much (and should be on the $10 cap anyway!).

bigb

Post by bigb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 am

Hi,

Perhaps a bit of disclosure from Exetel on how they are charged by the wholesalers might go a long way to getting good ideas on how to compete. I've been very impressed in how "in-the-loop" Exetel keeps its users.

An idea that doesn't really fit with wanting to get these plans sorted and self maintaining for at least 6 months but seamlessly tying mobile and voip technologies together could go a long way. Maybe having all mobile calls routed to Exetel's voip exchange could provide a better deal with the wholesalers.

Web-based SMS might go down a little better (smoother) with people if an app was provided that allowed sending them over GPRS. The app would need to have access to the phonebook on the phone.

BigB.

PS. I'm on the $10 cap, and love that I can get 50MB of data.
BigB

johnny2times

Post by johnny2times » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:31 am

Agree with Minka.

Vodafone if nicknamed 'Nodafone' in the country.

Would love to take up an offer from Extetel, but must go with a carrier that has better coverage.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 am

Quite simply, it would be totally commercially irresponsible if Exetel tried to compete with this plan.

ExetelVoice,
How so? Im pretty well uneducated when it comes to all this but isnt the kind of things that Exetel is proposing almost a "Bean Counter Killer"?
So my question is hoiw come Exetel say its commercially irresponsible when it seems (at say $25 for 100 calls) to be well up there, if not better?
No way Id be currently getting anything like 100 calls per month. (especially when you factor in flagfall.) Be interested in your thinking.
Tried to compete on a plan for plan comparison is what I meant. Our option would be a bundle, ADSL + VoIP + Mobile.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 am

An iphone is a phone that uses data and makes phone calls. Don't ALL exetel plans offer this? What sort of "iphone offering" would differentiate the plan from a non-iphone plan?
Probably what is meant is the inclusion of an iPhone on some sort of contract. Exetel doesn't offer contracts on the mobile service, which by definition also means no handset inclusions. I doubt this will change anytime soon. I, personally, use an iPhone on our own (Voda supplied) service and have configured the VoIP client Fring to make VoIP calls over the 3G/HSPA component. Works very well.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 am

50 mobile calls a month for $12.50
Id certainly be interested, provided I am able to port my current number.
Will the offer only apply to one account, that is what if I wished to have more than one account - two cell phones with different carriers at the moment.
The thinking presently is per service. Porting is no problem.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:28 am

Virgin Beancounter:

For all of you using this product, have you read the fine print?
Note to self:*Billed per 30 seconds with a 25¢ call connection. Data charged in 60 KB increments. Free calls & text Virgin to Virgin offer does not apply to Beancounter. All rates apply to standard calls/text/photos in Oz. MMS messages cost 60¢ per message. Expiry period starts from the date you recharge.
OK, FREE voicemail is good, 10c SMS is good...but...did you realise a 1 sec call will cost you $0.30 because they charge per 30 seconds, a call less than a minute will cost you $0.35. Flagfall of $0.25.

By comparison a call less than 30 secs on Exetel's per minute plans will be no more than $0.22 on the highest rating (Mobile A) plan, as we charge PER SECOND.

Data is also very dearly charged at $2.00 per MB ($0.002 per KB - or one fifth of one cent). Compare this with our Casual data rate (which is our highest data rate) of $0.07 per MB.

If you primarily make short calls, not SMS, and use some data then our per minute plans are better.

...and how many of you expire after 45 days with credit unused? This is how providers profit on prepaid plans.

Pericles

Post by Pericles » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Happy Exetel Customer
Hi,
What a great idea to involve your customers. Thanks for the opportunity to have some input. We travel a lot and find both Optus and Vodafone pretty useless except for when we are in major centres. We have a GSM mobile on Vodafone and an iPhone 3G with Optus/HSPA both with Exetel. We wish that Exetel would take up with the Telstra 3G network so that we would have maximum coverage as we travel around. We have no Vodafone coverage at home and only GSM coverage on Optus. On a recent trip to WA and Tasmania we had very limited use of either of our Exetel mobiles. My partner's Exetel Vodafone service was actually better than my Exetel Optus/HSPA on my iPhone. As much as I hate the thought of going to Telstra, lack of coverage of the other providers may force us to. Would love it if Exetel could use Telstra network even if costs were slightly higher. A mobile is absolutely no use without a good network.
Cheers