Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
karLos

Re: Mobile Offerings From Exetel

Post by karLos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 pm

the costs wouldnt be slightly higher, they would be sky high. it's telstra...

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Would love it if Exetel could use Telstra network even if costs were slightly higher. A mobile is absolutely no use without a good network.
Unfortunately karLos is right. Aside from the requirements Telstra would want as a wholesaler, their pricing to Exetel would make an offering completely prohibitive.

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Another vote for the status quo. I like my Vodafone service. I like my $0 pm (pay-as-you-use) plan.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Pericles wrote:We have a GSM mobile on Vodafone and an iPhone 3G with Optus/HSPA both with Exetel.
Th iPhone 3G does not have 900 MHz HSPA capability, which the Optus network is building out in rural areas. So unless you are in a Capital city with 2100 MHz 3G you will not be able to make use of the HSPA services with your iPhone.
Pericles wrote:We wish that Exetel would take up with the Telstra 3G network so that we would have maximum coverage as we travel around. We have no Vodafone coverage at home and only GSM coverage on Optus. On a recent trip to WA and Tasmania we had very limited use of either of our Exetel mobiles
Exetel will not entertain Telstra, so there is no point even asking. Both Optus and Vodafone are pushing out extended 3G coverage across Australia, I doubt you will see any more roll out of GSM. Optus have chosen to make use of 900 MHz for their rural 3G and HSPA network, so the improvements are rapidly being rolled out but neither of your phones will be able to make use of them.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jenkos

Post by jenkos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi,

I'd like a 3G, Australia wide service without the big slug for roaming away from home. A plan similar to the basic "Mobile 1" (ie. PAYG) would be great for me.

Thanks,

jenkos.

comatay

Post by comatay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 pm

HMMMM, 100 mobile calls a month for $25.00 or 50 mobile calls a month for$12.50 or some simple variation of charging per call (irrespective ofthe type of call or actual length).

Could this be :) 100 mobile calls a month for $12.50 or 50 mobile calls a month for$8.00 or some simple variation of charging per call (irrespective of the type of call or actual length), as this would bring us into line with other parts of the world as far as pricing goe's. The prices in this country are shameful to say the least, and the speeds are no were near what is offered most of the time.

I do believe you people are doing your best to offer a service at a resonable rate, but you could do better i think.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm

comatay wrote: I do believe you people are doing your best to offer a service at a resonable rate, but you could do better i think.
I think you'll find the sell price is limited only by the buy price, it's not a grab for profit but a limitation of what the carriers will offer that sets the prices

alibird

Post by alibird » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 am

I would also love a pay-as-you-go mobile plan such as peteru describes (below), like Vodafone's old "No Plans" which they don't offer any more. Perfect for intermittent users!
peteru wrote:I'd like to see an option with no ongoing fixed cost component, only pay-as-you-use costs.

I use a mobile phone on a very irregular basis. It may not get any use for 7 months, then be used for 3 or 4 phone calls in one weekend. On occasion (about once every 14 months), I go through a period of heavy use, where I may go through $80-$120 worth of calls in a short span of time.

I've been using Vodafone pre-paid credit which lasts 365 days - that works out mostly OK for me, although at one point I have not recharged for more than 370 days and Vodafone "confiscated" the remaining credit and cancelled my SIM. :-(

I'd like to see a plan with:

* $0 - $10 establishment fee (to get the SIM and a number) (My Vodafone SIM was $2)
* $0 per month fixed fee
* no calls included
* $0.xx per minute calls (the lower the better)
* $0.yy per SMS
* Monthly invoices for periods when I make calls.

Basically a plan that costs nothing when I don't use the phone and when I do use the phone, I pay a fair rate for my usage.

oldman

Post by oldman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 am

alibird wrote:I would also love a pay-as-you-go mobile plan such as peteru describes (below), like Vodafone's old "No Plans" which they don't offer any more. Perfect for intermittent users!
peteru wrote:I'd like to see an option with no ongoing fixed cost component, only pay-as-you-use costs.

I use a mobile phone on a very irregular basis. It may not get any use for 7 months, then be used for 3 or 4 phone calls in one weekend. On occasion (about once every 14 months), I go through a period of heavy use, where I may go through $80-$120 worth of calls in a short span of time.

I've been using Vodafone pre-paid credit which lasts 365 days - that works out mostly OK for me, although at one point I have not recharged for more than 370 days and Vodafone "confiscated" the remaining credit and cancelled my SIM. :-(

I'd like to see a plan with:

* $0 - $10 establishment fee (to get the SIM and a number) (My Vodafone SIM was $2)
* $0 per month fixed fee
* no calls included
* $0.xx per minute calls (the lower the better)
* $0.yy per SMS
* Monthly invoices for periods when I make calls.

Basically a plan that costs nothing when I don't use the phone and when I do use the phone, I pay a fair rate for my usage.
It's already there... Mobile 1 plan (except it's $20 establishment fee, not $10). You can even add a casual data plan to it with very competitive rates (particularly as any session less than 60Kb is free).

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:01 am

I would change all my mobiles and recommend all my friends if you could offer free calls between mobiles on the same network ie virgin to virgin free calls and sms etc.

Any chance of this happening?

oldman

Post by oldman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 am

nihonjin wrote:I would change all my mobiles and recommend all my friends if you could offer free calls between mobiles on the same network ie virgin to virgin free calls and sms etc.

Any chance of this happening?
The per-minute plans do offer 50 free 2 minute Exetel-to-Exetel calls and 50 free Exetel-to-Exetel SMS per month.

nihonjin

Post by nihonjin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 am

oldman wrote:The per-minute plans do offer 50 free 2 minute Exetel-to-Exetel calls and 50 free Exetel-to-Exetel SMS per month.
I didnt know this but i really dont want to have to keep track of how long i have been chatting and hang up every time i reach 2min mark. I understand if exetel cant offer this but free calls from exetel mobiles to exetel mobiles is what i would need in order to change over. thanks.

mulan

Post by mulan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Alcor1 wrote:So what is the problem with the current capped plans? Are you saying that they are no longer competitive compared with the major carriers?

I am currently on the Exetel $20 capped plan and have been so since very close to when Exetel started offering mobile services. I have been extremely happy with the arrangement and I continually tell people about this great plan.

I'm concerned that new offerings would not represent the same value for money. I had a look at some past bills and on average I seem to make around 40 calls a month and send 100+ SMS messages. For me SMS is a very important part of the mobile service and I believe that this is representative, at least for the younger demographic.

The suggestion that the SMS component could be replaced by the Exetel online SMS service does not make much sense. If I am in front of the computer then I am likely to send an e-mail, or Facebook message, or call from the landline, etc., rather than send an SMS. The SMS is handy for all the times that I am out and about.

I would also like to not run out of prepaid calls at some crucial moment, as I often hear from people on pre-paid plans.
I was going to reply to the original question, but this post is pretty much what I would have written so I'll just second it.

David R

Post by David R » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 am

I'm a ADSL1/VOIP user myself and I don't too much like buying air/time from a mobile vendor but it's a price for convenience I understand.

To bring my VoIP including Mobile calls over to Exetel (from a cheaper source), I might suggest the following remodel, if at all workable.

ADSL INCLUSIONS would be
30 SMS FREE
70 local/national calls FREE

FLAT RATE Australian Mobile calls $1.00 each Up to 30 calls/mo (excess calls reverting to 15c/min), If < 60s then FREE

The concept being you can say more in 60s-voice than using SMS; and generally not fear losing a dollar should the call go to Voicemail.
(Think how useful)

Others have commented how a flat rate may be seen as revolutionary. One threat however, is people having too long chats which would lose Exetel money.

To discourage lengthy talkers send an automated SMS.
"Warning: the average length of your 'flat rate' calls charged (XX calls out of XX remaining), exceeds by 3x the average user' length - & if not kept below 8min a call the flat rate may be removed for the balance of calls this month meaning 15c/min may apply then to usage."

So you may be able to flexibly get away with say 1-13min calls; if an average call is 4.5min and a $0.54 cost to Exetel.
Or save up to $3.60 based on 30 very short calls just under 60s*

(*guesswork on my part assuming a 12c/min cost)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

Klymatt

Post by Klymatt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Is that an extra $12.50 on top of any Exetel ADSL plan? I have a land line ADSL plan with Exetel.
How will charges for text messages work (are they part of the 50 calls?)
What about global roaming, how would charges for that work (would it be available)?