Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
ForumAdmin

Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 am

One of the suggestions received has been to change the off peak period:

to: 2 am to 2 pm

(all times are Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Summer Time when that applies)

We would be interested in your thoughts.

Edit by moderator: Comments are still welcome and, as always, appreciated but please be aware of a recent announcement that, based on the feedback received to date there will be no moving of the current 12 hour start time in the near future. User-customisable off-peak intervals may be implemented but will be offered as an option to users who choose it and not imposed as a general requirement (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p242015)

Further edit by moderator http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 63#p242663 states the following:
ForumAdmin wrote:Having considered both the advice and the ideas we have reached the following decisions:

1) We will leave the current 12 midnight to 12 noon period as the 'default' for the 'off peak' allowance.

2) Before June 1st we will provide an option for any customer who wishes to do so to select an alternate 'off peak' period for the following month of either 1 am to 1 pm or 2 am to 2 pm.

3) The user can select the 'off peak' time option for any following month at any time before the next month starts and that period will remain until the user decides to change it for the following month.

oldman

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by oldman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 am

I would be in favour of it as I think it would allow better use of the off-peak quota.

oblong

Post by oblong » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am

This would be beneficial for me.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 am

Personally, it would make no difference to me. I mostly use the offpeak for queued downloads. I am rarely on at or after midnight and have not had any problems in the mornings.

No objections here (and I understand it would alleviate the reported 'midnight slowdown').
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

oblong

Post by oblong » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 am

dbr wrote:No objections here (and I understand it would alleviate the reported 'midnight slowdown').
Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 am

yeah no problem for me. maybe this is a good idea as people are still on at midnight where 2am u get mostly hardcore gamers etc.

Berty

Post by Berty » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 am

oblong wrote: Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Even so, it will affect fewer people. I personally go to bed way before midnight and never experienced any midnight effect.

soaper

Post by soaper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 am

i dont do the big downloads after 12mn

i do do browsing between 12 mn and 1-2 am ... and would perhaps find the new hours suit me better.

thanks

hoolie

Post by hoolie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 am

For me either is good but I don't download large packages. Easy for me to go with the flow.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 am

oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Quite possibly. In fact you can see the spike at 2AM already as many of us (myself included) have their schuedulers set to 2AM vice 12AM. This was a request made by FA quite some time ago.

Even though I 'forego' two hours of off peak, I never have any problems downloading all that I wish to - and often have to regulate towards the end of the month to avoid going over.

I suspect the other posters have hit the nail on the head. There would be more people on line at 12 than at 2.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

jgtsai

Post by jgtsai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 am

No objections here either.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 am

oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Yes it will, but that is still beneficial to most people who stay up past midnight (I'm thinking mainly late night online gamers).

I think that this would be a beneficial change, not only due alleviating congestion during the midnight-2am bracket but also because the midday to 2pm change is within business hours when most users are not at home anyway.

The proposed shift to 2AM -2PM is the simplest way to achieve the intended result, but some other possibilities are:
  • Have "bands" of off-peak that users are randomly assigned, or can select: 12AM-12PM, 1AM-1PM, ..., 4AM-4PM
  • Align peak times to more natural user behavior like weekday mornings + weekday evening + weekend daytime for a total of 84 hours each week
  • Have differentiated off-peak. i.e. "super 40Gb off-peak" from 3AM to 9AM and "regular 20Gb off-peak" from 12AM-3AM + 9AM-12PM
These are probably overkill, and I think the straightforward shift to 2AM-2PM is a beneficial one

antoniov

Post by antoniov » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am

I am a morning person, so I could easily adapt and start my large downloads (usually linux/bsd operating system) in the mornings.
As for voip I have all but given up using it for important calls - I decided to change my exetel mobile and use it instead.
Just hope any changes to the off peak period does not effect the voip quality any more by dragging bandwidth down in the day time.

studio34

Post by studio34 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:41 am

Sound fine to me. S

TheLateJC

Post by TheLateJC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 am

I'm in favour, it works for me in every way.