Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
dreamzdestiny

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by dreamzdestiny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 pm

I would be in favour of changing the off peak period as well. It gives us a couple of extended hours to use the downloads during the day. Please make the changes.
Thanks

Lothlorien

Post by Lothlorien » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:06 pm

As a retiree, I would be delighted if you changed it. Thanks!

YVZ

Post by YVZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:07 pm

No probs either way, from our households point of view :-)

cptmercury

Post by cptmercury » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 pm

I am often "wanting" to browse up to 1:30am some nights but find the 12am download onslaught makes it a futile activity - especially for any media streaming.

I would welcome this change.

coconutdog

Post by coconutdog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Suits me as I am an early riser. Go for it.

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm

yuk - no way, things are horrid enough at times before midday, those of us who work from home have enough problems at times for the first half of a working day, to extend that out to 2pm, would be more painful, please lose this ludicrous idea.

waratah

Post by waratah » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm

The real answer is, I don't mind either way, if, and only if, there was better QOS on the bandwidth. In other words, non-interactive bandwidth use (e.g bittorrent) should not impact interactive users such as browsing, stream audio/video, voip, ssh, etc.

Most people making heavy use of off-peak hours would be doing so for non-interactive purposes, and as such, shouldn't really mind when the off-peak hours are.

w1w

Post by w1w » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:17 pm

I can understand how someone surfing the net at 12 midday would not be impressed when everyone's downloads kick in at that hours and 2 am would be better.

I'd have concerns that morning use would get heavy and you wouldn't want to surf until 2pm each day. This would then suggest that you'd want to narrow the window to 2am to midday (making it worse leading up to noon).

Is there a best bandwidth time on the connections overseas? Downloads would often be from the US etc and aligning off peak with low utilization on the international links would make some sense.

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Les wrote:Hi,

Whilst moving the spike from 12am to 2am would be beneficial to a number of users care must be taken to ensure that this change doesn't impact the probably larger number of users that use their Internet connections for Business Purposes during Business Hours for things like VOIP, VPN and RDP which are all very susceptable to latency issues.

Whilst I had concerns when it was initially proposed that the Off-peak period was extended into Business Hours it was quicky proven that the change didn't impact latencies during Business Hours, so provided this change also does not impact latencies during Business Hours I would support moving the Off-Peak period to 2am to 2pm (or even 3am or 3pm).

Les
I beg to differ, the VPN use from Qld is painful, hell, even this morning (9am-ish) loading up the BOM weather sat pic reminded me of the old 56k dialup, blocky as hell, I also have remote NFS shares mounted and they are a pain at the best of times, even Exetels own front page loads blocky in off-peak, come peak times, everything fliiiieeeeeeeeesssss.

Treadders

Post by Treadders » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:20 pm

If they are changing it because of the load, then it might be ok....as long as they 'let' us start the d/loads at 2. My d/loads already start at that time, as requested in a previous email.

And 2pm would let me get an extra d/load or two in offpeak times.

It doesn't really matter either way, but would be nice to be 'allowed' to start d/loads at the start of the offpeak time, rather than 2 hours later.

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Im all for it (and think its a good idea), i have my downloads set to start after 2am anyway so makes no difference in that aspect. But will give an extra 2 hrs at night before the downloading leashes are released for better video streaming etc. between 12 & 2 is the only times i notice any slowdown.

Go for it.

SR

Post by SR » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm

OK, is there two functions happening here?

(1) Off peak for demand management
(2) Off peak for charging management

(yes I know they are connected - it enables demand management by encouraging high bandwidth usage at less sociable hours, unless you are a vampire - like off-peak electricity.)

But...

why not allow the user to choose an option. 2am-2pm; 12midnight to 12pm; 10pm till 10am. (the earlier start & finish might suit the light user of off peak services)

You could weight these options further... e.g.

(1) 2.am till 2pm (latest start, longest time - 12 hours: but does encroach into daytime business)
(2) 12 mid till 11am (earlier start, shorter time - 11 hours: current with finish of off-peak mid morning)
(3) 10 pm till 8.am (earliest start, shortest time - 10 hours: leaves business hours intact)

a mix of user selectable off peak options may also spread the load around a bit more and smooth out demand management
Last edited by SR on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astroham

Post by Astroham » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm

The new times 2am to 2pm would be much better for me.

Lonx

Post by Lonx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't mind the time change - however am fairly concerned it will cause users to start download queues when they wake up - 6am til 8am for example, and therefore morning web use / voip / remote login for work VPN may be heavily affected for the worse.

Unless the bandwidth usage spike remains to start around 2am, I honestly believe there will be too much negative impact to normal morning users of the network. While I have few issues currently after midnight on most days, I am understanding to them - however if it meant lag/dropouts when working at home or general web browsing in the morning - no thanks!!

micoots

Post by micoots » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 pm

This is a good idea, although you will have (MAJOR) problems with Daylight savings time shifting forward.

All Daylight savings times that move forward do so from the 2am mark. They move back from the 3am mark.

How will the bandwidth graphs and the multitude of other items handle this time shift at exactly 2am?

The same goes for shifting back to 2am from 3am. 2am is already counted, then it goes to 3am and shifts back to 2am to get re-counted?

It's a good idea to move it but not to 2am. Maybe 1:30am or 1am, but avoid 2am or 3am.