Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
jandk

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by jandk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
jandk wrote: how are we gonna differentiate ourselves with TPG users (their off-peak starts at 3am)?
and ends how many hours later? :lol:
My friends get up everyday at 3am downloading...OMG...12mn is the latest i can afford...

muncester

Post by muncester » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Absolutely in favour. As long as 12 hours off peak is kept.

neena

Post by neena » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 pm

i prefer 12am-12pm OR 10pm-10am OR 11pm-12pm

100brian

Post by 100brian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm

no thanks keep it at 12 to 12.
One of the reasons is i am in wa so my time is 10pm to 10am and i can start my downloads before i go to bed.

dmcd

Post by dmcd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm

As with others here, I'm curious to know why the change is being contemplated.

Personally, I'm happy with Exetel because of the status quo. And because I'm often awake beyond midnight, but not very often awake beyond 2am, I like being able to fit in a few small downloads before I go to bed, since I'm usually very busy in the mornings. That said, I'm not a very heavy user, so I don't suppose any change will affect the speeds I experience now (at least I hope it doesn't).

I haven't had occasion to post on these forums before, but I appreciate being given the opportunity to have my say. I don't envy the job of having to reconcile everyone's opinions, but then I suppose the bottom line will perhaps speak loudest!

jamboyz

Post by jamboyz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:57 pm

don't mind giving it a try

Lavec

Post by Lavec » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

This would be good internet speeds from 12am - 2am. Currently it drops off when off-peak kicks in.

It would also be good for better off-peak usage management.

Hence I would favour this change.

I also think it would make Excetel even more competitive as other ISPs have poor off-peak times.

BlackPawn

Post by BlackPawn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

In general, I'd be a bit unhappy with this.

My scheduled downloads wouldn't care about this obviously but when I'm after a big file that I can't schedule, like HD youtube or maybe some big sourceforge install like I did the other night...I usually just wait till midnight to do it. I can stay up till midnight any time and it's no big deal but staying up till 2am to do something is much less convenient. And there's no way I can risk sitting at the computer in the morning because a) I don't have the time and b) I'll never be there just for five minutes.

So currently, the midnight start to off-peak is one thing that makes Exetel better than some competitors. A 2am start time is one of the things that sucked about my previous ISP. I suppose I wouldn't quit Exetel over this but it would make me less happy.

If the issue is one of moving heavy bandwidth usage to different times or spreading usage, maybe we could pick our off-peak times? If you don't care then you can have a default 2am-2pm zone and it's no problem. If you need an earlier zone for manual use then you can select that and be happy. Is it feasible to allow user-selection of our off-peak zones? And would that solve the problems that the suggestion is intended to fix?

tldr; Can we choose when our off-peak is? Or opt-out of a default 2am slot?

barry326

Post by barry326 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:01 pm

When the times are don't make a huge difference to me, as long as it still stays even 12hours peak/12 hours off peak. One of the main reasons I like exetel is the even peak / off peak times.

adg

Post by adg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:02 pm

leave it 12-12

cl3ft

Post by cl3ft » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Should help the gamers that want to play a little later, no skin off my nose.

wayne349

Post by wayne349 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Either way makes no different to me - it's still a generous 12 hours worth, so i'm happy either way.

Here in WA it only means that it would be starting at midnight instead of 10.00pm.

sQwiza

Post by sQwiza » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:07 pm

barry326 wrote:, as long as it still stays even 12hours peak/12 hours off peak. One of the main reasons I like exetel is the even peak / off peak times.
I agree with this too, though moving it forward by two hours would benefit me more, as most of my off peak d/loads are done in the morning.

keithy47

Post by keithy47 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Personly i prefer the current off peak times, its easier to shedule downloads.

MR NO NOTHING

Post by MR NO NOTHING » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Yes it will, but that is still beneficial to most people who stay up past midnight (I'm thinking mainly late night online gamers).

I think that this would be a beneficial change, not only due alleviating congestion during the midnight-2am bracket but also because the midday to 2pm change is within business hours when most users are not at home anyway.

The proposed shift to 2AM -2PM is the simplest way to achieve the intended result, but some other possibilities are:
  • Have "bands" of off-peak that users are randomly assigned, or can select: 12AM-12PM, 1AM-1PM, ..., 4AM-4PM
  • Align peak times to more natural user behavior like weekday mornings + weekday evening + weekend daytime for a total of 84 hours each week
  • Have differentiated off-peak. i.e. "super 40Gb off-peak" from 3AM to 9AM and "regular 20Gb off-peak" from 12AM-3AM + 9AM-12PM
These are probably overkill, and I think the straightforward shift to 2AM-2PM is a beneficial one

Me personally would be to vote selection of Offpeak eg: 4am--4pm. Otherwise it don't really worry me when offpeak time is