Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
SupervillainX

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by SupervillainX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm not really fussed... whatever affects my onling gaming time the least (Which is usually after work, 4:30pm 'til any time up to 10-11pm... I tend to notice ping fluctuations around certain times in the early morning, and around 10-11pm).

danioj

Post by danioj » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm

In response to the email I received today.

I would personally be against this. Things (i.e. online gaming) are considerably slower during the off peak period. Given I work and only get the chance to play at weekends (an am either out or in bed between 12-2am) anything that cuts into the peak period time during the day is bad for me.

Just my 2 cents. =:-)

FlyingCowMan

Post by FlyingCowMan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Love it. Can't wait.

The midnight slowdown is a killer.

alamgir99

Post by alamgir99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:42 pm

I am in favour of the change.

-al

badger

Post by badger » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:42 pm

no real difference to me either way, though at the moment i get some use at midnight if i am up that late and would never be up at 2am, though this would be offset with more use from midday to 2am - i am just grateful that exetel manages such a generous off peak time of 12 hours!!

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm more than happy the way it is, also happy for it to change to the 2am-2pm proposal.

I wouldn't be happy with the 10pm-10am suggestion.

danbyau

Post by danbyau » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I think I would like the off peak extended 2 hours have off peak go from 12mn to 2pm.

that would be much better and would please everyone.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Again, the majority seem in favour of this, so please just do it.

Is there an ETA on the decision being made?

Winnieblue

Post by Winnieblue » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Yea change it it can't hurt

Winnieblue

Post by Winnieblue » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:54 pm

FlyingCowMan wrote:Love it. Can't wait.

The midnight slowdown is a killer.
This is just going to change it to a 2am slowdown

Paradox

Post by Paradox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Just as long as the peak period does not extend past 3pm. This is when school children will want to browse. So, 3am to 3pm would also be OK. This gives the late night gamers 3 extra hours!

mm0

Post by mm0 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

The current 12-12 structure is fine. I do not want to wait a couple of hours to start downloads or leave my system on idle.
A 10-10 would have been better for me..

bcachot

Post by bcachot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Strongly against

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 pm

This thread has generated a huge amount of interest and I suspect a large number of TROLLS considering the amount of first time posters that have registered after the thread was started. It is also obvious numerous posters, especially the first timers have NOT read through the thread and complained.

Simple fact of the matter is some heavy downloaders simply leach and squeeze every kB out of their quota without regard for other users. Others, maybe through ignorance or laziness, simply start downloading the moment off-peak time starts and may only download for an hour or two contributing to the midnight slow down when many of them could schedule smaller downloads to start at 3, 4 or even 5AM and they will be completed by the time they have woken up.

From some of the posters in this thread it appears some are trying to use 256 or 512 ADSL connections to squeeze VoIP and torrents at the same time and if this is the case they can whine and complain as much as they like, as they are expecting much more from their SLOW connection than is technically possible and shoud upgrade.

Trying to educate ignorant, lazy or tight-arsed users how to effectively use their Internet service to the benift of themselves and other users is almost futile.

I would expect the change to 2AM - 2PM to have minimal to no effect from midday to 2PM timeframe as most automated downloads would be completed by then. I'm sure there will be a spike at the start of the off-peak period but there would be less users affected at that time of night. As for people starting downloads manually when they wake up, that would tend to be more random and I suspect would have little to no effect.

I believe the 2AM - 2PM off-peak times could have an overall benifit in minimising disruption to services. It is impossible to keep everyone happy but it may force many inconsiderate users to re-evaluate their usage.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

dv3

Post by dv3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:59 pm

This is a fantastic idea

i hate the current 12am to 12pm.

2am to 2pm is much better

I support the change 100%