Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
criten

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by criten » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:13 pm

HEH - 25 pages is some response

I have no objections - infact the extension of offpeak to 2pm will benefit me on one connection.

I've quickly asked a couple customers, and they have no objections either

mrDabolina

Post by mrDabolina » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 pm

I object to this because it will make managing my access to content more difficult. For example, I have many shows cued in Miro that I do not want to let download in peak times. When I go to sleep at midnight I just leave it running. To set this off at 2am would be more difficult for me. I normally transfer this content to my phone before work so I have something to watch and listen to during the day. This offset of 2 hours would make it likely that some transfers would not finish by morning.

As far as impacting Bitorrent is concerned this will not likely reduce the demand for bandwidth. For me and most people I know the content is what we care about. Changing the time will not mean that I turn off Vuze in those peak times but more that I have the inconvenience of an extra charge for the same data.

I hope this is not changed without providing some kind of option for the users to choose their off peak time between 12-12 or 2-2.

coal

Post by coal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Moving the off peak from 12AM to 2 AM doesn't bother me either. I would like to suggest some form of uniform time slot to make it easier for newbies to understand when its off peak or peak, if it is Midnight then so be it.
In my area most ISP's have off peak kicking in at midnight. I am not sure how wide spread this is, but if there is similarities in ISP setting this would make it easier for newbies (customers) to understand and avoid confusion/added costs in this space.

casio7131

Post by casio7131 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 pm

i like it as it is.

if you change it to 2am-2pm, i think you'll get plenty of unhappy people because they haven't realised that things have changed (i'm sure people won't read the necessary emails, or don't have the correct email address listed). i think it also disadvantages the less-technical users who don't have download managers.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Alot of people that are saying

yeap change it etc.
They don't provide reasons for why this would be good.
I suspect these people are just trolls, or don't consider the consequences.

This is BAD BAD IDEA.

This only benefits exetel most, cos then it reduces their offpeak cost.

Also people who are saying people who don't like the change are leechers.
Grow up!
They give you 54gbs.
If people want to download or use it, that's their choice.
We pay our money.

Changing the time to 2am would suck big time!.
And would make it no better than TPG's useless off peak 2am to 9am.

Soon exetel may even reduce the offpeak to 2am - 9am like TPG.
This is the beginning of pandora's box people.

Also the reason why there are alot of first time posters is cos this issue affects people dramatically
so we want to voice our opinions.
In the past I don't care for posting in this forum, cos whirlpool is better.

But this issue is something I feel strong against! :evil:

Scuzzbucket

Post by Scuzzbucket » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:21 pm

For me? just leave it as it is........ OR, why not make it 3am-3pm or 4am-4pm .... that would let all the late night gamers have a descent run without the "midnight spike" :D and the big downloaders would have a free run when they get up to go to work :shock: ... the late night gamers are usually in bed by this time and thus the two parties would not conflict too much.

Maybe the 4am-4pm will encroach too much into "peak time" ... I don't know when "peak time" really starts :?: :roll:
In three words I can sum-up everything I've learned about life: It Goes On !

JellyMoon

Post by JellyMoon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Yes, I would be in favour of this change.

Edited for
tyler.durden wrote:Alot of people that are saying

yeap change it etc.
They don't provide reasons for why this would be good.
if you must know, it is better as I don't schedule downloads and I do get a fair bit of use during the day. I will have extra 2 more hours and it will balance nicely for me. I don't agree with all the gloom and doom picture you are painting in red. If exetel saves some $ in the process then great. Suits me just fine.

Go for it Exetel!
Last edited by JellyMoon on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausduckz

Post by ausduckz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 pm

This would be a good idea.

benniedeball

Post by benniedeball » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 pm

The suggested change to off-Peak hours is okay, however what about trading in some off-peak hours for a couple more PEAK Hours :?: , any takers please let me know of your Opinion...

barrgr

Post by barrgr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 pm

I have only recently noticed that the peak/off-peak had shifted from 10AM/PM to 12AM/PM. Now you want to shift it again!

While I might not care about when the peak ends or starts, I do care that we all be notified correctly.

Please, move it to wherever the majority want it, but drop me a line afterwards.

Thanks.

flabdablet

Post by flabdablet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Why not do it on a trial basis? If it flattens traffic, keep it; if it makes peaks peakier and valleys deeper, revert.

Yoddle

Post by Yoddle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm

My vote is to keep it as is.

At least give people the option if you do change the time.

I like exetel and have no problem using you guys, however you are starting to get a bad name, i have a couple of friends who have stopped using you because of your constant changes. So just be careful, bad testimonies are 10x stronger than good ones.

supernicko

Post by supernicko » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Firstly on the suggested change from the email, I am happy for this to change. If people heeded the advice of a few months ago and set up all their downloads to start at 2am, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Having a user selectable time period will not assist anyone except the selfish users. They will likely pick 10pm to 10am and hammer their connection from 10:00:01pm. This doesn't help everyone else trying to use the internet for other things (web surfing, vpn, video conferencing, etc).

I would be willing to have a reduction in the number of offpeak hours with a discount perhaps. I mean really, I either don't use hardly any of it, or find something huge I want and have to be patient the rest of the month to not use up all the bandwidth. I don't think whether I have 10 hours, 8 hours or 12 hours isn't going to cause too many hassles there.

Perhaps for those who have issues regarding setting downloads to start automatically we could have a sticky post with a guide on how to do this for major items. There are probably tools to assist with this for most programs. What about an option on the member site to block all connections until 2am (it could be a toggle or a "you set it, you're stuck with it" approach)? I'm not really in favour of this, but lets throw ideas around.

Ladies and Gents, in the end if Exetel leave the current offpeak at 12am to 12pm, they may be required to make more bandwidth available for those who need good speeds during 12am to 2am. That will mean more cost to YOU, or perhaps lower off-peak download limits.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm

barrgr wrote:I have only recently noticed that the peak/off-peak had shifted from 10AM/PM to 12AM/PM. Now you want to shift it again!
I don't think so - you are in WA and Exetel has always based the timing for the off-peak (uncounted downloads) period on Eastern Standard (or Summer when in effect) Time.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Darken

Post by Darken » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 pm

I am happy to have it moved to 2am, but doesn't affect me much.. I sometimes run over midnight with gaming.. so if that will free up bandwidth to reduce possible latency, then it suits me.. but haven't had a problem up until now anyway...

So I vote either move it or leave it.. sitting on the fence.. But moving it isn't a negative for me.

Wouldn't ever want the off peak hours reduced though.. would rather it move back to 12am if it's found that it doesn't suit exetel.. I like having the 12 hours available for off-peak..

Regards,