Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Yoddle

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Yoddle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not so against the 12am-2am shift, it's more the other side. 12pm-2pm is not good for me at all. Don't know if anyone else shares this view?

Traxide

Post by Traxide » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:53 pm

I do not have a problem with the off peak time at present but could see the benifits in the future

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

What doom and gloom.

These are valid reasons for not changing the offpeak.

While other people who say change.
Don't provide reasons.

Also people who game into midnight,
just game earlier.
You want a bit better latency so you can game up to say 1am tops.
While reckoning other people's offpeak allowance, cos people can't stay up late.

Don't have a trial of this.

Don't force this on people, else people will leave.

People who's reason are
that they don't download or schedule at off peak and prefer an extra too hours during the day.
IF you don't download then why do you care if it's off peak or on.
Just use peak time at 12am.

Exetel already increase $3 charge.
Now they want to reduce their offpeak cost?
If you do, then why even increase the offpeak data allowance to 54gb.

So people who are saying this is beneficial in the future.
What benefit are they?
please list.

All this does is gives you an extra 2 hours during the day.
But if you are a student or worker, then this is useless.

Also you get 2 extras hours during the day.
But then you need to leave your computer on for 2 hours doing nothing, wasting electricity.
Also you need to stay up to 2am.

Also you would need to start making schedules and making things more complicated when you can manually do it at 12 midnight.
Last edited by Gidget on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Your posts are no more important than anyone else's, please stick to black text.

rs727

Post by rs727 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm

It doesn't really bother me, but i'd prefer that it stays at 12hrs. That is a great bonus that no other company (that i'm aware of) offers.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Lets face it, we apparently all want whats best for each of us, except for us apparent few that are considerate of other users.

You get what you have paid for, and exetel have been more generous over any other ISP i know of in OZ by providing a generous amount of off peak download on top of what we all pay for, you will always get people with a problem to any change, and others, as gidget (our observant forum admin) stated, that want it all for free, 24 hour off peak.... your right, when will it stop....

If you have a problem, voice it, this information is being asked of you for one simple reason, if you are unable to work out why that is, then you obviously have the wrong ISP or don't really need to comment.

Exetel are a company, yes, and they need to make money to provide us a service, yes, but this is the ONLY isp i know that actually gives a damn about what the customers think... Then act accordingly to what customers want.

Give a damn back, and speak your mind, but please leave the trash outside!
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

firay

Post by firay » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 pm

This change would be less beneficial for us but it seems we are the minority...

Col

Post by Col » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:05 pm

I think that John gave an indication on his blog recently that the intent is to keep increasing the off-peak quota in the future, so I don't there is any fear of it being reduced. For bandwidth management purposes I think that the move to 2am-2pm would be a smart move because midnight to 2am is still waking hours for many people, and is normally the busiest period on the bandwidth graphs. People are still getting their 12 hours of off-peak, and you can pretty much schedule everything.

Most of the time I leave my computer on overnight so I will just schedule any downloads for later in the night. For other people, you can press start on your downloads when you wake up if you want now because you are getting an extra 2 hours. Before in this thread I said I liked the idea of changing the off-peak hours, but now I am even more in favour of it after thinking about it and talking to other people about it.

I think I raised (or atleast thought of raising) the idea of moving the off-peak period for ADSL2+ customers to 2am-?? several months ago to spread the spike of the start of the off-peak out, so I am definitely not against the idea, however I would prefer it if they kept 12-12 as an option people could pick in the Member Facilities so people wont freak out. The red font hurts my eyes :(

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Col wrote:I think that John gave an indication on his blog recently that the intent is to keep increasing the off-peak quota in the future, so I don't there is any fear of it being reduced. For bandwidth management purposes I think that the move to 2am-2pm would be a smart move because midnight to 2am is still waking hours for many people, and is normally the busiest period on the bandwidth graphs. People are still getting their 12 hours of off-peak, and you can pretty much schedule everything.

Most of the time I leave my computer on overnight so I will just schedule any downloads for later in the night. For other people, you can press start on your downloads when you wake up if you want now because you are getting an extra 2 hours. Before in this thread I said I liked the idea of changing the off-peak hours, but now I am even more in favour of it after thinking about it and talking to other people about it.

I think I raised (or atleast thought of raising) the idea of moving the off-peak period for ADSL2+ customers to 2am-?? several months ago to spread the spike of the start of the off-peak out, so I am definitely not against the idea, however I would prefer it if they kept 12-12 as an option people could pick in the Member Facilities so people wont freak out. The red font hurts my eyes :(

Well said.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

cheef

Post by cheef » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:09 pm

I prefer the original 12midnight to 12noon.

I wake up at 6.10am to go to work, and won't return home until 6pm. Having off-peak download shifted to 2am means I can't make use of the off-peak quota as much (while I am awake).

modiika

Post by modiika » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

I've been on exetel for about 8 months on a naked dsl2 plan and this change would be great.

northfreo

Post by northfreo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

I would be in favour of a change to 2am - 2pm, as being in WA this moves us up to the offpeak times the east coast are having now. I would find the 10am - noon period (WA time) being offpeak useful.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 pm

northfreo wrote:I would be in favour of a change to 2am - 2pm, as being in WA this moves us up to the offpeak times the east coast are having now. I would find the 10am - noon period (WA time) being offpeak useful.

Hence why having a choice of offpeak option in user CP would be beneficial to east and west coast, and to those wishing to avoid the mysterious bandwidth slug.

Make the 2am to 2 pm default for all users, allowing us to change back to 12 middnight if we wish, which would take care of a lot of leechers in one hit.
Last edited by willhoy1 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Some comments make me wonder if computers are now being sold without built-in clocks, or hard disks that don't shut down when unused or monitors that don't switch off. For me, the proposed change would make no difference at all, but I have sympathy for browsers and gamers now caught in the 12 o'clock P2P rush.

sionghua

Post by sionghua » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:20 pm

I think this is good for me, because I seldom do any big downloads at night, this move means that more day time usage will be considered as off-peak and it won't eat into my peak quota. And also the slow down due to p2p downloads will be moved to 2am instead of 12am.

HyRax

Post by HyRax » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 pm

As long as the overall peak/on-peak time periods do not change from 12 hours each, I don't have any issue with the start/stop times being 2am to 2pm. I'll just adjust my overnight download schedule accordingly.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...