Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
willhoy1

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 pm

ralph wrote:The time change is not that important. High volume stuff would just be queued for the new time whatever that is. But if you want to count votes, then mine is no - leave it as it is.

What is important, and others have touched on this, is how to ensure the important traffic gets through. VoIP and gaming packets for example. VoIP audio quality is really frustrating for me also. If this can be fixed by traffic prioritization, then the need for peak/off-peak goes away and the times become irrelevant.

If the problem is improving Internet responsiveness for customer, then I think you are going about it the wrong way. Find a solution that works 24x7 and not just 12 hours a day. If there are other reasons for the peak/off-peak periods, let us know.

Try hardware Dlink or Linksys voip adapter, with SIP, only about $30 OR a Hardware SIP ported linksys or bullion ADSL modem, and works 100 times better than anything else i have ever come across, you just plug in a regular cordless or telstra phone, none of this voip phone rubbish or soft voip.... and as a techie that sets up the voip systems for others, i have tried a mere few dozen methods.
Hardware SIP improves voip quality 110%

Regarding previous RED post "quote: Also someone who stated that most people are awake between 12am-2am so it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah those are probably unemployed or whatever.
Most people who have work or school don't or can't stay up to 2am."

Umm think you just kicked yourself in the teeth with that statement bud.
Last edited by willhoy1 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

soulless

Post by soulless » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm

What about fairplay?

Exetel had that system in place a while back, where people chose to put themselves in a dedicated pool for low pings while sacraficing downloads (low ping pool was limited to 350mb).
This was so that people who game or use VoIP during that time can still use it without high pings.

I think we should bring 'fairplay' back, but tweak it a bit.
In the old fairplay system, people who opt-in to system are locked into fairplay for the rest of the off-peak period for that particular day.

We could change that, so that fairplay will expire at 3am.
Therefore, when u opt-in to fairplay, you have low pings. This will then expire at 3am, returning everyone to the same pool.

So.
People who don't opt-in, will be able to start downloading at midnight, same as before. No changes.
People who want low pings and good speeds at midnight can opt-in to fairplay, and get it until 3am. They can also then scheduale their downloads to start at 3am when they are dropped back out into the normal pool.

Best of both worlds. What does everyone think?

CompuCzech

Post by CompuCzech » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:00 am

Hello everyone,
I am a long time EXETEL customer.
Having read almost all of the previous posts and checking the download graphs in question, it is clear that this topic is generating a lot of differing valid opinions. The main aim that needs to be kept in mind is that our magnanmous, excellent, ISP is trying, via consultation with its customers (US) to come up with a bandwidth usage solution to a problem of high Usage vs supply (whether it be for economical or availability reasons). Although it would take some work on EXETELs part, I believe that if a CONTROLLED selection system would be developed where the USER would select at the end / beginning of a month an OFF PEAK time that would suit them (via a tick or radio button), then EXETEL could monitor the END result bandwidth usage over a couple of months to assess any shift patterns occuring. The ON/OFF Peak time split could be kept at 12hrs/12hrs. This way, it could be a win-win situation for all concerned. Pre developed times could be eg:
12 midnight - 12 midday, 2 am - 2 pm, 4am - 4pm. Other times would be regarded as PEAK time over a 24 hr period. USERS would solve their own concerns by selecting a time period, worked out in advance by EXETEL, that would be beneficial to the company as well. Also this will allow some elasticity when purchasing bandwidth from alternate suppliers. Just more food for thought ...
Best wishes to all at EXETEL for doing a great job in difficult economic times.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 am

For people suggesting exetel should implement different times for people to choose.

Get a reality check.
They can't even do their over the limit check properly.
Hence they need to implement $6 for over 2gb charge.

If they don't want people to download off peak then why even bother increase data allowance to 54gb.
This is like a bait and switch.
Lure you in with attractive quotas and slowing increasing charges or decreasing services.

All this change will do will
-decrease their offpeak cost
-make a few late night browsing and gamers happy
-infuriating the rest

Col

Post by Col » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 am

tyler.durden wrote:CoreyPlover
Just cos you say you look for the thread and say you summarise this doesn't mean that it is true.
Why should i believe your statement as true.
Don't try to present this as facts.

You say majority here say change it.
So what.
All this means is people are register here say so.
But there are many ppl who don't bother with chatting in this forum who don't speak.
You can't extrapolate anything from a few samples.

Most people wouldn't post in this forum.
They would do it in whirlpool etc.
Firstly, if you want to dispute Corey's preliminary findings take the time to go through all the posts in this thread yourself and create your own summary. Secondly, talking about Whirlpool... last I looked the votes in favour of this change were bigger than votes against it over there.

EXERA

Post by EXERA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 am

I Vote NO

I can't see anywhere that management has explained why they are considering this change. Obviously it must have some neutral or positive benefit to Exetel otherwise they wouldn't have even entertained the idea.

I'd like to know from management what the benefits would be to them.

Personally I'd like to see it start earlier than 12 midnight so that it finished earlier and gave max speed during the day and early evening.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 am

EXERA wrote:I Vote NO

I can't see anywhere that management has explained why they are considering this change. Obviously it must have some neutral or positive benefit to Exetel otherwise they wouldn't have even entertained the idea.

I'd like to know from management what the benefits would be to them.

Personally I'd like to see it start earlier than 12 midnight so that it finished earlier and gave max speed during the day and early evening.

You Obviously DO NOT read your emails.....

EXTRACT
Possible Change To Off Peak Period

One of the suggestions received has been to change the off peak period:

to: 2 am to 2 pm

All times are Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Summer Time when that applies.

We would be interested in your thoughts

Any comments suggestions you may have can be posted here:

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31640

Kind Regards

Exetel Management
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

zu

Post by zu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:19 am

For my situation, this is a welcome change! I work into the night, past 1am, on most nights and as soon as 12am is hit my speed tanks! This is really very poor as it becomes increasingly difficult to do my work. I hardly use my peak quota and when I need to use it - its just shockingly slow.

So hopefully, this change will mean I will get better speeds for a few more hours.

Exetel should have a setting with which you can opt out of the off-peak system and elect to use your peak quota 24hrs a day. After all, not everyone is interested in cramming as much downloads as possible for free!

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20 am

There's no such thing as the midnight slow down (ADSL2+ connection, nothing special done to it, same network as any other NSW Optus ADSL2+ user).

Code: Select all

Your current bandwidth reading is:
7.23 Mbps
which means you can download at 925.86 KB/sec. from our servers. . 
If Exetel wanted to take a more innovative approach then simply shifting the timeframe 2 hours forward, I think it could be better to offer a 3 or 6 hour space, and you can choose any of those 3 or 6 hours for off peak to start, the finish being 12 hours after. But there might be negatives associated with that.

mikoolz

Post by mikoolz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:22 am

I have read through most of this topic, honestly i like the idea choosing which offpeak time 12am-12pm or 2am-2pm etc, and new users are set default on 2 am-2pm and may easily change it through the user ultilities. :D . I originally sign up on exetel for good value and the off peak and on peak times are fair, and i would like to keep my reason why i sign up in the first place. So at the end of the day keep it as it is or give the choices of off peak times.

Michael, new user to exetel, 15 days and counting! loving it :P

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 am

Okay, I'm sick of this, someone please ban "tyler.durden"

For reasons why I will include my answers to his previous post.
CoreyPlover
Just cos you say you look for the thread and say you summarise this doesn't mean that it is true.
Umm... Yes it does, he summarised what real people/customers had voted for and their opinions on the matter, the only way that that doesn't make it true is if you are stating that all 27 pages of this thread were generated by fake posters. Please prove me wrong as I am dying to hear your logic on this matter
Why should i believe your statement as true.
Don't try to present this as facts.
See above statement
You say more people gave reasons for change.
That is bullcrap.
Count the votes yourself and see what numbers you come up with, hopefully for us you haven't previously worked for the Florida election vote counting committee sometime close to before George W. Bush got elected. ;)
Most people reasons are :
Yeap change it.
Or I like.
I see it is beneficial for me in the future.

If you called these as reasons.
Then you need to get your head straight.
So if someone votes but doesn't have a valid reason then that vote should be ignored? We dont live in a communist society. Welcome to democracy, enjoy your stay, my friend.
Also you forget that by putting the change to 2am
this means we need to leave the computer on for 2 hours idling, doing nothing.
This means more $ cost in electricity for us, and more earlier wear and tear of the machines.
Now you're really clutching at straws. I leave my computers on all day every day, they get turned off for minutes at a time when they need a reset because of updates etc, if you have a computer that dies within a couple of years at least, from the type of activity you describe then I suggest you buy your computer(s) from a more reputable builder. End of story.
Also someone who stated that most people are awake between 12am-2am so it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah those are probably unemployed or whatever.
Most people who have work or school don't or can't stay up to 2am.
One thing you need to realise is that everyone is not you and you are not everyone.

I have employees that work various 8 hour shifts that range from starting at 9am, 10am, 11am and 12 midday, they are not unemployed or "whatever" (as you desccribe", in fact, they probably earn more money than you, in saying that, do they not deserve to stay up until 2am browsing the web or playing games or whatever they want to do with their internet connection to it's full capacity without other people's scheduled downloads affecting their connection? I think so.
You can browse during the day.
For gamers, why not just game earlier.
Refer back to the previous comment I made about shift workers, not everyone works 9 to 5 days.
I think this would benefit 2 out of 10 ppl.
While it would inconvenience 8.
Feel free to think what you will but the statistics of this thread indicate otherwise. (as documented by CoreyPlover, thankyou CoreyPlover, I was wondering what the count was) :)
If this change is force on us,
I know many people would look for a new ISP.
People were already pissed by the $3 fee.
Now this is a kick in the teeth.
Good riddance and good luck finding another ISP that offers as good a service and also the opportunity for customers to voice their opinions on upcoming proposed changes.

Cheers,
Cerberus
Last edited by Cerberus on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:25 am

tyler.durden wrote:Just cos you say you look for the thread and say you summarise this doesn't mean that it is true.
I can assure you, I *did* summarise the thread. :D
tyler.durden wrote:Why should i believe your statement as true. You can't extrapolate anything from a few samples.
Fair enough. You go and count up all 540 posts to date and compare results then. I would argue that 540 posts is actually a reasonable sample size, especially given the number of first-time posters. You want me to perform a 95% confidence interval based on a sample of 540 posts out of an population of 80,000. I'm a qualified actuary so I'm sure I can manage that task if you like. But it's pretty plain to see that 126 "fors" and 102 "againsts" does not support your ridiculous statement that you think 20% will benefit and 80% will be inconvenienced.
tyler.durden wrote:Don't try to present this as facts.You say majority here say change it.
And...? What's your point? The *fact* is that the majority here say change it. That is all I ever claimed. I infer nothing about what is better for Exetel, nothing about what is better for most users and nothing about the other 79,460 odd Exetel users. I personally consider the sample results so far to be quite even and think that there is no statistical evidence to suggest that the sample results differ from a 50-50 split if you must know.
tyler.durden wrote:You say more people gave reasons for change. That is bullcrap.
"Reason" = explanation by posters as to *why* they made their vote, not just *what* their vote is. Again, you go and read all 540 posts and then come back with your, hopefully more informed, comments.

Now, I'm not going to waste my time, nor the time of users reading this forum getting involved in a petty argument with you. You seem to be the type of person who has your own opinion and claims that anybody with a different opinion to you is wrong. Good luck with that attitude

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 am

tyler.durden wrote:For people who want to game or browse.
You can browse most sites fine.
You can browse during the day.
For gamers, why not just game earlier.
You are obviously only thinking of yourself and NOT others. Why should you dictate to others when they should be sitting at their computers when all you want to do is start downloading and go to sleep!
tyler.durden wrote:I think this would benefit 2 out of 10 ppl.
While it would inconvenience 8.
I suggest that it would only disrupt leechers who are too lazy or ignorant to schedule downloads, turn computer screens off and have NO consideration for time critical and interactive applications such as VoIP, VPN and gaming.
tyler.durden wrote:
If this change is force on us,
I bet many people would look for a new ISP.
People were already pissed by the $3 fee.
Now this is a kick in the teeth.
Good luck finding another ISP as generous as Exetel, I'm sure nobody will miss any leechers that decide to leave!

[Edit by Gidget] - Please use black text to post - as others have commented, complete posts in red text are too hard on the eyes. And please watch your language,. Your next intemperate post (Google if you don't know what that means) will be deleted whether it otherwise contains good points or not.
It would be very intersting to see if this TROLL is contributing on an Exetel IP address or another ISP Gidget!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

marting

Post by marting » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:29 am

I'd rather stay with the current off peak times or move it to earlier hours. I usually watch news videos online in the evenings and do video calls to Europe. These use up a lot of my quota so I often do it between 12am-1am. From a downloads perspective I guess it doesn't matter because those can be scheduled to any time.

Please do not change or if you do give users an option to stay with the current hours.

Thanks,
Martin

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 am

Cerberus wrote:Okay, I'm sick of this, someone please ban "tyler.durden"
I second this motion, there is no need for this TROLL to be here!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM