Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
TTMSHU

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by TTMSHU » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:33 am

tyler.durden wrote:Get a reality check.
They can't even do their over the limit check properly.
Hence they need to implement $6 for over 2gb charge.
I never understood why this is the case, i believe i have never been "capped" when i was past the plan limit. I've asked some of my friends who are on optus/tpg/telstra ect who say they get capped within minutes of breaking the limit.

But otherwise back on topic, i would welcome the offpeak/onpeak change. Doesn't really make a difference for me because uTorrent can change the scheduler easily enough and i download entire TV series' in one go so no real impact for me.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:37 am

TTMSHU wrote:i download entire TV series' in one go so no real impact for me.
damn, that was a really bad typo, how does someone mistype "Linux ISO" into "TV series"? :P

I have some typing training programs if you need some ;) lol

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:38 am

mate how are people downloading during off peak leecher?

we pay our money,
they give you a large off peak to download
If they don't want people downloading during off peak then why even bother giving large download limit or increasing.

Also you can't extrapolate a population base on this small sample.
Since this is a minority of people who even bother to register in this forum.

Like I said most people don't care to speak in this forum unless they have a exetel related problem.

Also someone suggest to ban me.
I guess you have a problem in here if people voice there opinions.
So if you people have strong opinion you say to ban them.
Stop acting like china. This is australia.

Mate I am not suggesting people do anything.
If people want to game or browsing late then do it.
But yet those people want the rest of us, who download during offpeak to now stay up to 2am.

Also like I said most people who work or have school can't stay up to 2am.
Last edited by tyler.durden on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldendel

Post by goldendel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 am

All good for me, another possible side benefit is this brings the on peak limit in line with the peak usage for many electric companies (2pm-8pm M-F). As many people will be moved over to time of use meters, hopefully this will be another incentive to switch off the PC for a while! :D

markinthedark

Post by markinthedark » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 am

Stay with 12-12 or offer users the choice of what band e.g. 11-11, 10-10, 2-2
Last edited by markinthedark on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 am

tyler.durden wrote: Also someone suggest to ban me.
I guess you have a problem in here if people voice there opinions.
So if you people have strong opinion you say to ban them.
Stop acting like china. This is australia.

Mate I am not suggesting people do anything.
If people want to game or browsing late then do it.
But yet those people want the rest of us, who download during offpeak to now stay up to 2am.

Also like I said most people who work or have school can't stay up to 2am.
Your opinion seems to have been voiced, repeatedly.
- There are methods of using the traffic at 2am, whilst you are asleep. You don't have to though, entirely up to you.
- You can always use your usage at 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am.. You get the idea.
- It will matters little to customers as a whole if the usage is 12am - 12pm or 2am - 2pm.
- There are plenty of non P2P uses for the off peak data. You can YouTube it all, mirror the Exetel mirror, or .. many other things. There's also legal P2P uses.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 am

Btw, shouldn't this thread be in http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewforum.php?f=24 until a change has actually been made?

Edit: Use a scheduler to schedule your P2P activities.
Last edited by Franpa on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Some1onearth

Post by Some1onearth » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 am

Although I would prefer it stay at the same time, I do not disagree all that largely.

I may feel it will affect me, but I normally stay up till 2am anyhow even during weekdays.

So, I do not wish for it but I can easily deal with it.

Col

Post by Col » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 am

tyler.durden wrote:For people suggesting exetel should implement different times for people to choose.

Get a reality check.
Yet in your first post in this thread you said "If you do decide to change it though, you should give us an option to stay on the current offpeak or change it to 2am."

I need someone to confirm, but does the hardware that shapes people who are past their quota have anything to do with this discussion? Aren't we just concerned about the server that tracks quota usage? You just need to check it more frequently if there are more than one peak and off-peak start time to shape/unshape anyone effected in their selected off-peak option. No?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:53 am

tyler.durden wrote:So if you people have strong opinion you say to ban them.
I think it is more of a case of "if people are irritating you say to ban them".

Seriously Tyler: this thread was created for Exetel users (whatever small minority they represent) to express their opinion as to the possible change to the off-peak period. You have stated your opinion...numerous times, and it is time for you to now allow others to express theirs.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:56 am

It's not a quota tracking issue, as that is performed by radius server receiving updates from the routers of how much data has been consumed for the circuit (that's just added to the account). From that point, the usage is calculated as being off peak or peak by adding the usage data collected during each time period.

Based on the email and opening post, the change to 2am seems motivated by suggestions (I take this to be customer suggestions via the Suggestion Box).

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:57 am

I am saying that if they do decide to implement this then it should not be compulsory.
If people want to stay the same way then they can pick.

But I am saying in reality it would probably be unreliable since their download limit don't even work properly hence
they need to implement the $6 charge for going over 2gbs.
Cos if the 64kb thing worked properly, most people wouldn't be able to get thru 2gb properly.

--
Corey
It's fine with me.
I stated my opinions and feelings about this issue.
If people want to state their opinions is fine with me.
I'll be off to whirlpool since I got nothing of interest to say here other exetel relate concerns.

Like I said all this here is a small sample of people who even bother to joined the forum or have exetel related problem to comment here.
You can't make a representative data of the population since not all exetel members bother to join here to say their opinions.

That's my 2 cents and unless I have anything else to comment or someone makes an attack on me then I won't make say any more.
Last edited by tyler.durden on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

leighroy

Post by leighroy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:00 am

Hi there,

I think I would like to leave the times as they are - not sure why, perhaps just because I naturally resist change.. :) They seem to be working for me so if it aint broke...

Legend

Post by Legend » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:02 am

oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
When the uncounted period start time was shifted from 2AM to midnight, on 1 September 2006, there was a quite obvious increase in the bandwidth being used, apparently because people who were awake at 12 and not at 2 started doing more downloading. (Many people have no idea how to use, or distrust, schedulers so they only download while they're awake). We may see that the midnight slowdown won't shift to 2AM, which would be a bonus. On the other hand, if it does we won't have lost anything. I normally don't ramp up my download speed until 2AM because I'm using the net until at least then so I'm all for this change. Bring it on.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 am

tyler.durden wrote:I am saying that if they do decide to implement this then it should not be compulsory.
If people want to stay the same way then they can pick.

But I am saying in reality it would probably be unreliable since their download limit don't even work properly hence
they need to implement the $6 charge for going over 2gbs.
Cos if the 64kb thing worked properly, most people wouldn't be able to get thru 2gb properly.
Exetel's network slows access to locations outside of the Exetel network at this time. That's actually pretty good compared to being at dial up speed. The 2GB buffer allows you to manage your own usage for that 2GB. If you use it in seconds / minutes / hours or days through your own failure to control your usage, then that's really your choice / problem / decision.

There's always the possibility that shaping can simply be removed, forcing users to manage their own usage anyway and pay $3 a GB without the 2GB buffer. Or, there's always shaping access through the Exetel network, so it really runs at 64k from your connection. Though, we'd have you crying because it's slow, as you reached your limit too soon or some other whinge. It's a feature you do not have to use.