Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
lasaboy

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by lasaboy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:05 am

I have no objections to the change, I doubt it would not affect me in any way.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 am

tyler.durden wrote:I am saying that if they do decide to implement this then it should not be compulsory.
If people want to stay the same way then they can pick.

But I am saying in reality it would probably be unreliable since their download limit don't even work properly hence
they need to implement the $6 charge for going over 2gbs.
Cos if the 64kb thing worked properly, most people wouldn't be able to get thru 2gb properly.
YAWN! If you are leeching and have chosen to cap your usage and continue to leech then you deserve to pay $6/G, especially for off-peak.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 am

Mickle wrote:Personally I believe that a changeable timeslots, such as 12-12, 1-1 and 2-2 are feasable, as that would spread the throttle, and wouldn't be quite as bad to late night gamers, this would cater to a variety of users.
If 12-12 is an option, no one (or very few) will change there schedules.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 am

Franpa wrote:
Mickle wrote:Personally I believe that a changeable timeslots, such as 12-12, 1-1 and 2-2 are feasable, as that would spread the throttle, and wouldn't be quite as bad to late night gamers, this would cater to a variety of users.
If 12-12 is an option, no one (or very few) will change there schedules.
True
which is why a forcible set off-peak time of 2am to 2am for all accounts, and then users have option to change this every thirty days back to a selection of ranges of varying length to a maximum of 12 hours...

Perhaps ???

Who knows, that's why we are here.... Suggesting to exetel...

Since i have been scouring this topic since 5:30pm, i am off for a coffee break.... lol
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:29 am

I am often up working the late night shift sales/support for my own business it would be great to have the 2:00AM to 2:00PM off-peak. 3:00AM to 3:00PM off-peak would be even better my crew. That would allow downloads to be shifted to the latter start and still have 5 to 6 hours to finish and my late shift wouldn't be dogged by the mass downloads that kicks in at midnight.

The 2:00AM to 2:00PM off-peak change has my full support.

Many of those that are concerned should look into scheduling their downloads.

Many thanks to Exetel for seeking customer input yet again.

Cheers,

Mike
Last edited by austdata on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:35 am

metcalf wrote:Im new to downloading, is it possible to set the downloads to start at 2am? If not I would prefer to keep the 12am-12pm Off peak Period
Absolutely, it is not at all difficult to do. Just create another thread and ask for suggestions. It will help if you include details on your operating system (e.g. Windows), the application you use to do it manually and what it is you are downloading.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 am

I think the middle ground is to let people have a choice
like choosing to get shaped or charged $3.

If people want to change to 2am then they tick it in their homepage.
People who want to stay then they choose that.

Thus it would satisfy everyone.

Don't force people.
Give people a choice.
Else people would change ISP.
Or be very angry about this.

==
About the 64kb.
If I find I get close to the limit I would slow down.
There are a select few that might that take advantage of the system.
But the majority don't.

But to penalize everyone is not good.
Also exetel has a responsibility to ensure that the 64kb works properly.
Sometimes people might go over cos they leave it on overnight etc.
But generally this is a minority of people who cheat the system since 48gb or 54 gbs is heaps.

It's like going to a club.
The club has a responsibility to check people for ID, weapons, alcohol etc.
The club has to have some responsibility even though there might be a minority that try to sneak in etc.

Anyways I don't have a problem with the current system cos I watch my limit.

===

Also
lolapola is right

Why does exetel want to infuriate people
When most people are fine with the system as it is.
Unless you want to lose more customers..

lynchwhy

Post by lynchwhy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 am

please dont change it?

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 am

Change should happen if it
benefits everyone.
-e.g increasing the peak or off peak data.

In this case I see it

benefits some
-late night surfers
-late night gamers
-people who don't need to work or go to school.
-people who don't mind or regular schedule it to download at 2am

while infuriating others
-off peak downloaders who prefer to start at 12midnight.
-people who can't start download schedulers or programs or websites that don't make use of download schedules
-people who don't want to leave their computer idling for 2 hours every night.
-people who need to wake up early for work, school.

Why would exetel want to infuriate a portion of it's members.
And cause them to seek other isps.

Infy.AsiX

Post by Infy.AsiX » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:51 am

soulless wrote:
What about fairplay?

I think we should bring 'fairplay' back, but tweak it a bit.

People who don't opt-in, will be able to start downloading at midnight, same as before. No changes.
People who want low pings and good speeds at midnight can opt-in to fairplay, and get it until 3am. They can also then scheduale their downloads to start at 3am when they are dropped back out into the normal pool.
Brilliant idea!

I've seen podcasts and Itunes mentioned as reasons for manually started downloads. May I add Playstation 3 downloadable content. Staying up to 2am to do such normally menial tasks is just wrong.

If the point of this 2am business is to prevent leechers from disadvantaging the genuine folk. Why is it the leechers with their auto scheduled downloads being catered for and unaffected. While those of us who want to use the service genuinely can't.

c'mon Exetel I know you got it in you to make the right decision. I signed up a week ago expecting to be able to manually download at midnight. Now i'm being told I should be downloading more by setting up schedules to leech instead of downloading what little manual downloads I had wanted before.

It seems Exetel's reached a core problem with their plans. Some people prefer good latency, some people want to leech. Perhaps its time to separate the plans to suit the light users at a lower cost and differed peak timing for the large downloaders. I know because i've just finished researching myself a plan that there is a certain ISP willing to deprioritise large downloaders by time of day.

shedzonline

Post by shedzonline » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:57 am

I would rather keep it the way it is, or better still have a choice 10pm-10am, 12-12 etc.
Only a disadvantage to me to change it to 2am-2pm.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:10 am

In my case tyler, i purchase enough on-peak quota to cover my downloads, i have one of the older 54gb/54gb adsl1 8000k plans @ $98.00 p/m i do a lot of driver downloads and servlett app downloads each day, even voip over 2 lines, and i download a lot of other stuff, but my total usage equates to generally not more than 40gb a month if i am lucky, and this is with 2 kids still in high school, and 4 computers in the house, plus my laptop on wireless, and a home server setup that serves a comprehensive SQL clustered database to external clients of 6.3gb.

Short of downloading every movie in creation on P2P, i am honestly not even sure my family could breach the 108gb limit each month. Yet i chose to pay the extra to ensure i don't need to worry about shaping etc.

Whilst i realise not all people cannot afford such glamorous plans, (not that that plan is available to ADSL1 customers anymore), it is something so many people do not consider when purchasing ADSL. Instead they try to get the most from their dollar, which actually is not such a bad thing, but it is also the fault in this un-perfect world of ADSL.
This is not so much the issue, but rather a work around of the cause of the problem that exetel have asked for our opinion on, to solve the issue is going to be a different matter and there is not going to be a simple fix to make everyone happy, they undoubtedly realise this, and have left it in the customers hands to come up with a constructive solution by majority rules... I am sure in the end, that their final decision will result in a fair solution to meet everyone's needs.

I agree with you, don't change the download times, but on the same hand, as you also agreed to, a choice of bandwidth off-peak times would certainly assist in potentially alleviating the situation, and whilst exetel did previously have a customer experience program to alleviate this exact problem, it obviously was not working as it should...
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

tiffers

Post by tiffers » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 am

The later times would work well for us in the western states. I sometimes stream video from the states up until midnight WST (2am AEST) and around 10pm WST (midnight AEST) it gets really laggy.

I vote +1 for this.

warennie

Post by warennie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:19 am

Strongly against such a change. I'm always up after midnight and like that i'm using up my off-peak download limit.

EDIT: Changed my mind, i'm now for it as this midnight slow down really annoys me. If it changed the slowdown to 2am, it'll make me happier.
Last edited by warennie on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ilia

Post by Ilia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:36 am

I'm in favour of this. It is very easy to change the scheduling in my torrent manager to start a bit later, and I'm less likely to need fast internet at 2am than at 12am.