I have no problems with it.

srisailu

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by srisailu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am

this would be great for me too

Kheng

Post by Kheng » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 am

While I currently enjoy the current "midnight to midday" off peak, as what I consider to be a "normal user", when I want to download something large (P2P, FTP, HTTP), I will typically stay up 'till midnight to start my download.

having been an exetel customer on ADSL1 during the 2am-10am offpeak stage, I can honestly say, during that period, I was often setting my alarm to wake me at 2:30am so I could start my offpeak download...

to those who are more technically savy than myself, yes, I know there are programs that allow you to schedule downloads, but there are so many out there, half of the free ones are actually demo's which can't fully uninstall, and may or may not have adware/spyware etc... but I detract.

I like the idea of being able to choose later off peak periods and be rewarded as such, with people also able to opt for "no off-peak"

if I could float the idea of using Class of service to re-tag packets from "offpeak" users, so they don't interfere with users who are not off-peak... (sorry my technical ignorance is probably showing), but I guess that depends on where the tagging occurs, and where the current "chokepoints" are.

I guess what I want to say is:
I like the current arrangement, and would be sad if I had to change to a 2am off-peak start.
I like the idea of being able to chose a later off peak period, and being rewarded with additional download.

georgebrowser

Post by georgebrowser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 am

I assume this is to save money, which I support. I like the idea of optional timing. Brilliant. Try user defined time/download bribe for a while and see what evolves.

Perhaps also a thread on schedulers? I have not looked yet.

Cheers

peteru

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:02 am

I'm mostly ambivalent about the change. I work from home and depending on whether I deal with clients in Europe, North America, Asia or Australia, I end up using my connection at different times. I try to squeeze my data hungry work related tasks to the current Exetel off-peak time slot. This work can not be scheduled. From my lifestyle point of view, 2am to 8am is the least convenient timeslot for me, which makes that the true off-peak time for my particular usage patterns. However, if I need to get the job done, then $3/GB is a reasonable cost of doing business.

If I look at this from the point of view of Exetel, I think that a marketing strategy of having off-peak "midnight to midday" sounds a lot better. When people think 2am, they think "middle of the night" and "everyone is asleep". On the other hand, midnight is late, but people still consider it reasonable to wait until midnight in order to get access to something. From a psychological (and thus marketing) point of view, midnight is a lot more attractive than 2am.

I think a win-win situation would be to offer four off-peak pools to customers and entice them to choose later start times to get more off-peak allowance. For example:

Code: Select all

Between 12 - 12, 54GB
Between  1 -  1, 57GB
Between  2 -  2, 60GB
Between  3 -  3, 63GB
Again, applying a bit of psychology, the heavy users will almost certainly prefer to grab the slots with larger allowance, thus shifting the sharp increase in bandwidth usage to later hours. Defaulting users to 12-12 slot will ensure the least dissatisfaction due to unsolicited changes. An email that offers more off-peak allowance just by changing the time slot in the Member Facilities section is also likely to be well received by those who use off-peak allowances heavily.

haroldkeane

Post by haroldkeane » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:04 am

I'm in favour of the proposed change which would see off peak times occuring from 2am to 2pm because the late morning / early afternoon is the time when I would like to do most of my large work.

mrlanky

Post by mrlanky » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:22 am

Works for me

Orkon

Post by Orkon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:22 am

peteru wrote:
I think a win-win situation would be to offer four off-peak pools to customers and entice them to choose later start times to get more off-peak allowance. For example:

Code: Select all

Between 12 - 12, 54GB
Between  1 -  1, 57GB
Between  2 -  2, 60GB
Between  3 -  3, 63GB
Again, applying a bit of psychology, the heavy users will almost certainly prefer to grab the slots with larger allowance, thus shifting the sharp increase in bandwidth usage to later hours. Defaulting users to 12-12 slot will ensure the least dissatisfaction due to unsolicited changes. An email that offers more off-peak allowance just by changing the time slot in the Member Facilities section is also likely to be well received by those who use off-peak allowances heavily.
This was something i read by peteru, but mentioned by numerous users - changing the off peak time later and in "exchange" get more quota.

Why do people feel like they "should" be rewarded for chosing options which change the periods that their ISP deems "off-peak"? If they give us the choice then that's a defining characteristic of Exetel - the flexibility to chose when you want peak/off-peak.

34 pages in, and all i see are people complaining about "boo hoo hoo i have to stay up until 2am to start downloads". But lets step past that into peak time the next day. Now that people are using their non-peak bandwidth in "traditional" peak times (12pm onwards) the potential arises that people who are on 12pm-12am peak are now affected in ther peak time by users on the 3pm-3am peak smashing downloads right up until 3pm. Yes the 12am spike may have been moved/spread, but thats all people seem to be focused on.... Think about peak utilisation - there might be other impacts few are considering.

rkolala

Post by rkolala » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:23 am

It is excellent idea!!!
More useful!!!

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:24 am

Sounds like a good idea for me, mainly because sometimes I play games over the internet up till late 2am, and I have found that you sometimes get bad ping times if you try to play in the off-peak time (presumably because everyone starts hammering it during off-peak), so this would suit me to a CAPITAL T.

As for those people complaining because they have to stay up late to start their downloads, i mean, seriously, its a computer, automate it!
TheToid

b9force

Post by b9force » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 am

Hi

Thanks for the chance to provide input. (One of the things that makes Exetel such a good choice!)

On balance, I think I am opposed to the proposed change... basically for the same reason as Kheng just mentioned:
Kheng wrote:... when I want to download something large (P2P, FTP, HTTP), I will typically stay up 'till midnight to start my download.
I use a scheduler for P2P, but not for other protocols. (And in particular for something like my MSDN subscription downloads... I don't think there is even a way to use a scheduler with Microsoft's customised download client.)

Sometimes I also might watch some streaming video (e.g. the ABC's iView service) from midnight to 1.00 am. It is nice to get this data as "off-peak", and I haven't really noticed any congestion interfering with the video quality. Moreover, I certainly wouldn't want to have to wait until 2.00 am to start watching :(

I am often gaming and browsing past midnight (at least on the weekends) and have never really noticed any congestion spike at midnight. (Perhaps I am just not very perceptive!)

In addition, my wife uses our internet connection regularly during the day for applications like VoIP, browsing, email, etc. that require little data but good responsiveness .. so extending the off-peak congestion (if there is in fact any) beyond midday appears undesirable from her perspective.

Cheers
B9

bato

Post by bato » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:28 am

I'd prefer to keep it on the existing period.

I vote to keep as is.

llewrobinson

Post by llewrobinson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am

I'm on an HSPA service and I don't get offpeak allowances...

jonzei

Post by jonzei » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:32 am

This option gets my vote too, it extends playing time for kids during the day.