Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Edwin

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Edwin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm in favour of the change if it is better for Exetel.

In addition I'd like to suggest to put the Top 10 Leechers every month into a special pool with No "Off Peak" time the next month.

ducking for cover now :wink:
Last edited by Edwin on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neb

Post by neb » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Edwin wrote:I'm in favour of the change if it is better for Exetel.

In addition I'd like to suggest to put the Top 10 Leechers every month into a special pool with No "Off Peak" time the next month.

ducking for cover now
oh my... I like the sounds of that, but you'd have to alter the scripts so that they don't get shaped, and they are charged in full for all excess ;)

Palingman

Post by Palingman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 pm

The proposal would NOT be beneficial to me. Contrary to the other comments, my off-peak usage is made up of 'real-time' usage; sometimes up to 4 VOIP conversations as well as 4 tertiary students doing assignments. In a student household, 12 midnight is 'prime-time'; everyone is on-line. Sure, normal people have hit-the-sack and left it to their download managers; but the night stalkers are 'cashing in' on the off peak period, starting at Midnite.

I'm all for innovation in the windows, but a midnite to 2AM shift wouldn't help me.

Mickle

Post by Mickle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:36 pm

I disagree with the top 10 leechers being charged in full excess, as this would go against what we signed up for when we joined exetel.
Personally, I think that just time changing intervals should be able to be chosen in monthly periods spreading the time in which leeching is done.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Edwin wrote:I'm in favour of the change if it is better for Exetel.

ducking for cover now :wink:
I like the way you think.

[best soup nazi voice] No Off Peak for you! [/soup nazi]
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Page_not_found

Post by Page_not_found » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:27 pm

No objections. Suggest maybe allow users to select the period if enough objections.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm

hey admin

are you gonna delete dbr comment about me as well?

how is that relevant to the topic? and it violates your policy about attacks.

==
dbr
what i said was relevant
while what you said is gibbrish...

Edit by Gidget Yes, I will. However, you my lad are headed to the sin bin for a week - it is a good idea to learn when to stop

critterbuilt

Post by critterbuilt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Yes it will, but that is still beneficial to most people who stay up past midnight (I'm thinking mainly late night online gamers).

I think that this would be a beneficial change, not only due alleviating congestion during the midnight-2am bracket but also because the midday to 2pm change is within business hours when most users are not at home anyway.

The proposed shift to 2AM -2PM is the simplest way to achieve the intended result, but some other possibilities are:
  • Have "bands" of off-peak that users are randomly assigned, or can select: 12AM-12PM, 1AM-1PM, ..., 4AM-4PM
  • Align peak times to more natural user behavior like weekday mornings + weekday evening + weekend daytime for a total of 84 hours each week
  • Have differentiated off-peak. i.e. "super 40Gb off-peak" from 3AM to 9AM and "regular 20Gb off-peak" from 12AM-3AM + 9AM-12PM
These are probably overkill, and I think the straightforward shift to 2AM-2PM is a beneficial one
A very well thought out response Corey... I mirror your thoughts. Exetel always do a good job and the change would suit me also. Make it so!

oz_ollie

Post by oz_ollie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:27 pm

It would add 2 hours of "un-metered" use during our prime usage period (9:00 am - 3:00 pm), so it would be beneficial. More beneficial would be ADSL2+ in Bathurst, NSW.

Jennifer Ruth

Post by Jennifer Ruth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Sounds great to me. More usable times.

critterbuilt

Post by critterbuilt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Palingman wrote:The proposal would NOT be beneficial to me. Contrary to the other comments, my off-peak usage is made up of 'real-time' usage; sometimes up to 4 VOIP conversations as well as 4 tertiary students doing assignments. In a student household, 12 midnight is 'prime-time'; everyone is on-line. Sure, normal people have hit-the-sack and left it to their download managers; but the night stalkers are 'cashing in' on the off peak period, starting at Midnite.

I'm all for innovation in the windows, but a midnite to 2AM shift wouldn't help me.
Give some thought to Corey's idea... Have "bands" of off-peak that users are randomly assigned, or can select: 12AM-12PM, 1AM-1PM, ..., 4AM-4PM... for people in your situation this may be perfect. Maybe a 9pm to 9am timezone would suit you better for your off-peak downloads? Perhaps by SPECIAL application for students via course enrolment credentials Exetel may be able to introduce a new level of flexibility and offer something based on this idea. However, the Exetel Team are doing a great job and offer unparrallelled value and reliability for all types of data activity, whatever their decision will be it will have everyones best interest in mind.

intim

Post by intim » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Yes would suit me fine as it will reduce lag at midnight

cliffy177

Post by cliffy177 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I am not a fan. Please leave it the same as it is currently. Otherwise, give users the choice of 2 or 3 different peak and off-peak slots.

Sanjiv Vyas

Post by Sanjiv Vyas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:00 pm

I feel the current off peak time period 12am to 12 pm is fine. If at all, it may be changed to 11pm to 11 am.

arun sami

Post by arun sami » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi

It wont suit me well, actually I would like the off peak time to be from 10pm to 10am. Its too late at nite when you have to wake up ealry to go to work.
Regards
Arun