Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
pvelonis

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by pvelonis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:27 pm

I can't believe this is even being discussed in such a manner here, and over 48 pages no less.

We have a situation that means that at midnight, you are unable to even stream radio of 24kb/sec successfully, and it just amazes me that people think that this is acceptable.

Firstly, moving the off peak period is only one solution, and not really a solution at all.. What you really should do is increase your bandwidth or implement QoS to prioritise not .torrent traffic. e.g. 1. Voip, 2. Apps, 3. Browsing, 4. Torrents

But if you are incapable of implementing any of these solutions, common sense would indicate that you just need to move your off peak period, and i am pretty sure if you did some market research you would find that this is probably what the other ISPs have done.

This is not a democracy, and i think you are seriously doing yourself a disservice for even bringing this issue into this forum. If you want to know what your users think, pick a cross section of people, say 50-100 and call them. This method is just ridiculous.

I know for one thing, that unless you make this change near on immediately, i am moving to a different provider.

Very disappointing.

Aussiemystic

Post by Aussiemystic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Speaking for myself I would be disappointed if this proposed change is implemented.

The current 12am-12pm period works well for me and was in fact one of the factors that made me choose Exetel over other providers. I realise it is open to Exetel to amend this but it wouldn't go down well with me.

I haven't read every page of this thread but it seems that there are significant numbers of people who both support and oppose this change.

If feasible the suggestion to allow users to pick their peak/offpeak period allocation would seem a good one as it would have a better chance of pleasing more people. This may of course not be workable. Rather than allow all combinations, it might be possible to have (say) 2-3 different choices that users could choose from which might alleviate issues arising due to all users going onto off-peak at once.

woodle

Post by woodle » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm

I think it's a great idea. I don't know if anyone else has said this, but I work from home as often as I can and so extending off-peak to 2PM would mean more of my remote desktop traffic into my work PC would be off peak. I already schedule stuff for after 2AM just to be considerate of people who (unlike me) are still up and doing stuff at midnight.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:35 pm

pvelonis wrote:
1) I can't believe this is even being discussed in such a manner here, and over 48 pages no less.

2) We have a situation that means that at midnight, you are unable to even stream radio of 24kb/sec successfully, and it just amazes me that people think that this is acceptable.

3) Firstly, moving the off peak period is only one solution, and not really a solution at all.. What you really should do is increase your bandwidth or implement QoS to prioritise not .torrent traffic. e.g. 1. Voip, 2. Apps, 3. Browsing, 4. Torrents

4) But if you are incapable of implementing any of these solutions, common sense would indicate that you just need to move your off peak period, and i am pretty sure if you did some market research you would find that this is probably what the other ISPs have done.

5) This is not a democracy, and i think you are seriously doing yourself a disservice for even bringing this issue into this forum. If you want to know what your users think, pick a cross section of people, say 50-100 and call them. This method is just ridiculous.

6) I know for one thing, that unless you make this change near on immediately, i am moving to a different provider.

Very disappointing.
1) Its 44 pages (not 48) and, for over five years, Exetel has made it a constant practice to ask its customers for their views, opinions and suggestions on a wide range of topics and issues. This process has been very useful and has made many excellent contributions towards improving all sorts of aspects of Exetel's services.

2) Perhaps you should look at the various graphs and reports that are provided to you, as to all customers, to see how different aspects of the several bandwidths available to users in different States and Territories are performing. Perhaps the reason that tens of thousands of other Exetel users find it "acceptable" is that they don't experience what you do.

3) With over 3.4 gbps of IP bandwidth delivered to Exetel customers at midnight each night it would seem that there is more than enough "bandwidth" for the tens of thousands of users who require it at that time. Prioritising protocols would be a very, very bad idea - it is only done on networks with contention.

4) My observation of the competencies of Exetel's network engineers over many years is that they are more than capable of designing, implementing and operating the network we have deployed. We have no interest in what "other ISPs have done" - nothing they may or may not do would have any relevance to anyone else's network - including ours.

5) Everyone has an opinion - we are happy with the ways we have run Exetel for over five years.

6) Perhaps that would be the best option for you personally - I certainly wouldn't continue to use a service I was dissatisfied with (however I have been a very happy user of the Exetel network for over five years now and use it on average for more than 12 hours each and every day of the week. I can tell you, that based on the feedback we have received to date there will be no moving of the current 12 hour start time in the near future - we may offer an option to those users who wish to avail themselves of it to have a choice of start times but it wil be an option not a general requirement.

Charlie Beebee

Post by Charlie Beebee » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:46 pm

12 to 12 suits me fine, so would 2 to 2, just do not move it any earlier. 10 to 10 would seriously suck for gamers, thats when the fun starts. If you cant stay up till 12 (or 2) then get up early and downlode your stuff early. I cant believe anybody really has a problem with exetels peak downlode limit, its the best I have seen anywhere for the money. Keep it up guys, you are doing a great job.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:02 pm

pvelonis wrote:I can't believe this is even being discussed in such a manner here, and over 48 pages no less.
Would have been interesting to know what it was that can't be believed.
pvelonis wrote:But if you are incapable of implementing any of these solutions, common sense would indicate that you just need to move your off peak period, and i am pretty sure if you did some market research you would find that this is probably what the other ISPs have done.
Let's assume by "you", you mean Exetel. But it just seems odd that the e-mail and this thread which are market research, would be considered less market research than researching what the opposition are doing, which is not market research.
pvelonis wrote:This is not a democracy, and i think you are seriously doing yourself a disservice for even bringing this issue into this forum. If you want to know what your users think, pick a cross section of people, say 50-100 and call them. This method is just ridiculous.
Okay I'm just confused now, do you want market research or not?
pvelonis wrote:I know for one thing, that unless you make this change near on immediately, i am moving to a different provider.
Bet you don't. I think it would have been more productive to say you are against the idea and then leave it at that. Personally, I reckon it is a great idea. I can work late and not have to worry about the connection slowing down or Exetel charging Bigpond prices. I hope they do it, indeed I'd like to see it start at 3:00AM and go to 3:00PM, then I can get some off-peak use during the afternoon. I'll just have to learn how to schedule downloads now. :wink:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Coolness68

Post by Coolness68 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:25 am

This would really hurt me as I'm an on line gamer and don't play up past 2am anyway. Also when I can have the off peak time during the day, I'm always at work so wouldn't get any benefit out of it! I really hope it stays as is cos it's easier to wait up until 12am to start doing large down loads rather than wait until 2am! In all ways it just wouldn't work for me! :cry:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

pvelonis wrote:We have a situation that means that at midnight, you are unable to even stream radio of 24kb/sec successfully...What you really should do is increase your bandwidth or implement QoS to prioritise not .torrent traffic. e.g. 1. Voip, 2. Apps, 3. Browsing, 4. Torrents
This has already been implemented: P2P traffic is deprioritised at any time when it would otherwise affect browsing experience. If you are unable to stream radio after midnight you should email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au because there is no technical reason for this to be occurring.
pvelonis wrote:This is not a democracy, and i think you are seriously doing yourself a disservice for even bringing this issue into this forum. If you want to know what your users think, pick a cross section of people, say 50-100 and call them. This method is just ridiculous.
!!!?
So a cross section of 50-100 people is better than a thread with close to 1000 responses!? And how is asking for users' feedback a "disservice"?
pvelonis wrote:I know for one thing, that unless you make this change near on immediately, i am moving to a different provider.
I again refer to my first paragraph: email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to get this issue looked into

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 am

im against the change completely
i work nights u see i get home just after 12.
the peak on peak times is one of the main reasons i joined exetel.

Ash

nick1194

Post by nick1194 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:38 am

it sounds great to me... it whould give me more time when i got up to be downloading in the off peak time

in favor very much so

alicaddy

Post by alicaddy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am

I live on the West coast and the 10pm (WST) is okay but moving it to 12am would mean I lose 2 hours download each night, so unless you propose increasing the free peak hours available for download I am against the shift of the off-peak hours.

Forky

Post by Forky » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:11 am

I am an ex-gamer, and totally understand the benefits that a 2-2 peak would bring people who use latency critical applications. I'm more then happy to change my schedulers so others can have a better experience.

Also, about 12am slowdowns, it may be exchange related (alot of Exetel leechers on the same exchange??), but i would imagine a 2-2 off-peak would help in anycase.

aiki

Post by aiki » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:17 am

Maybe a better idea would be to let the user nominate their own "peak period" as it's a 12 hour block and a fixed amount it shouldn't really matter when it's used. This would save on peak user period loads as the "peak periods" could be spread over the whole day.

yungao

Post by yungao » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:27 am

I will be worse off signaficantly if this change is to be implemented. This was a major factor for me to select Exetel as my ISP.
All kids cannot wait untill 2:00AM to utilise the off peak period. The only change that I can accepted is to bring the off peak period forward, say 10:00pm or 11:00pm. If Exetel do not has the facility to setup the off peak period for individual account, please leave it as it is.

neb

Post by neb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 am

aiki wrote:Maybe a better idea would be to let the user nominate their own "peak period" as it's a 12 hour block and a fixed amount it shouldn't really matter when it's used. This would save on peak user period loads as the "peak periods" could be spread over the whole day.
Actually that wouldnt work, unless you are going to duplicate the network and have two completely separate pools of customers and bandwith... peak usage times are so there is little to no interruption or affect on normal everyday uses (this excludes p2p).

So, if you have 45% stay at 12-12 and 55% move to 2-2, the normal peak users are still going to be affected by bandwith hogs past the entry of their peak up until the leachers pool enters peak at 2pm. so splitting it would be ludicrous unless you are going to duplicate your network, and no ISP is going to do that, it's also a nightmare to split what you have now to suite, I know, we tried it where I was back in 2005, and the test lasted IIRC no more than 3 weeks it was so hopelessly unworkable.