Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Tazz

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Tazz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:02 pm

dbr wrote:
Tazz wrote:After bringing up this question, and it being discussed in this thread, is Exetel closer to a decision on this as yet?
Yep back a page or two. No Change to current 12-12 band. May implement and option for another period.
ForumAdmin wrote:<snip>
I can tell you, that based on the feedback we have received to date there will be no moving of the current 12 hour start time in the near future - we may offer an option to those users who wish to avail themselves of it to have a choice of start times but it wil be an option not a general requirement.
Good to know.
Changes like this should always be optional....wherever possible.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Tazz wrote:I download from Usenet via Astraweb.
I have searched and found a program to schedule the opening and running of programs, so am ready if Exetel makes the changes to offpeak.

After bringing up this question, and it being discussed in this thread, is Exetel closer to a decision on this as yet?
Why not voluntarily start your downloads later? Are you really downloading for a full 12 hours every day of the month?

This thread is really starting to go nowhere fast, considering ForumAdmin has stated there will be no change to off-peak times anytime soon. I can't really see the need to continue debating something that is not going to happen.

Obviously some people like Tazz have found how easy it is to set up scheduling, rather than just being totally ignorant to others that have time critical applications like VoIP. So hopefully some will start scheduling their downloads later, especially if the downloads aren't going to take 12 hours!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Luxyboy

Post by Luxyboy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Luxyboy wrote:Just get rid of OFF and ON peak, make it flat download.
You pay for xGig why not be able to use xGig when you want it :?:
I am not one to be capped all the time but scheduling is just annoying, especially if you are nearing cap but need something down urgently but you have to wait so you don't get capped.

Maybe make the amounts and times dynamically switchable by users before the new month starts (not on the fly during a current billing cycle) if they wish to use it that way. Obviously there would need to be a disclaimer stating that it is for advanced users only. At least that way no one can complain about being capped if they control it themselves :idea:

Probably never happen but thought I would brain dump anyway :wink:
Please :)

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Exetel has made it a constant practice to ask its customers for their views, opinions and suggestions on a wide range of topics and issues. This process has been very useful and has made many excellent contributions towards improving all sorts of aspects of Exetel's services.
That's one of the best things about Exetel. I wish all companies cared what their customers thought.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 pm

I am not one to be capped all the time but scheduling is just annoying, especially if you are nearing cap but need something down urgently but you have to wait so you don't get capped.
At $3/GB of over quota charges, who really cares about being charged for this when you need something urgently? :roll:

Shaba

Post by Shaba » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 am

I agree that something has to be done about this huge flooding issue that occurs when they clock ticks to 12:00am but I am not sure if this is the best solution because, at the same time, I do not want the off peak leechers to have until 2:00pm (up from 12:00pm)to leech their crap.

bettyjanebrown

Post by bettyjanebrown » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 am

I think I prefer to stay with 12 to 12 - I often use the earlier time to browse, but would rarely have need of it in the 1-2pm period.

dmoo

Post by dmoo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 am

Reading through all the responses, I see a portion of users in favour of the change, another portion against it and majority of others are neutral about it. Like most users, I do not feel that this change will make a significant difference to my onliine habits but potentially the amount of data that is downloaded onto my computer (i.e. when I leave computer idle to download stuff).

However, given that there has been never a time that I've used up my offpeak quota and I suspect that is the same case for others (please correct me if I am wrong), can I suggest, instead of shifting the offpeak period, why not extend it from 12am to 2pm?

This will mean that those who are affected in terms of their online habits will be happy (i.e. more quota for the first part of the day till 2pm) and for those who actively download material from 12am will still be able to do so and, the extended period will only mean more downloads for them. Everyone will be happy, yes?

Just my input. Thanks.

hogey74

Post by hogey74 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 am

This change would suit me. I have not experienced the "midnight slowdown" mentioned elsewhere as my usage patterns have temporarily been different since joining Exetel but soon I will be home at that time and quite possibly studying and researching until after midnight. Any downloading I would do will easily be retimed. You could possibly even push it out until 3 to 3 without hitting the (presumable) after school peak? As it is the proposal would seem sensible and is potentially beneficial to me. Thanks John.

zac

Post by zac » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 pm

I would rather the change goes from 10pm to 10am

neb

Post by neb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Please :)
Think of it as your "peak" is what you are paying for in your xGig, the "off-peak" you get is a courtesy sorta thingy.
like my plan is 32+54, if the peaks were removed theres no way I would expect to get 86, prolly more like only 45, maybe 50, tops.
and the puny 67 a month i pay at home, comes nowhere near real world prices for 32G let alone 86 :)

humanity

Post by humanity » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I think a 2am - 2pm off peak would work better for me.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:03 pm

zac wrote:I would rather the change goes from 10pm to 10am
It won't happen, the reason this was brought up in the first place was because the leachers all get on at midnight and drag the network down to a crawl with P2P downloads. The idea was to push it back to 2AM when less people are online using interactive applications like VoIP, browsing and gaming.

If it was moved to start a 10PM the problem become even worse because more pronounced because even more people are browsing, gaming etc. not being able to make use of the net because of the leachers!

Forum Admin has already said there will be no changes so this thread is a waste of time now.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jamanncar

Post by jamanncar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 pm

I think that it would be a great change

neb

Post by neb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 am

vk3xem wrote:
zac wrote:I would rather the change goes from 10pm to 10am
It won't happen, the reason this was brought up in the first place was because the leachers all get on at midnight and drag the network down to a crawl with P2P downloads. The idea was to push it back to 2AM when less people are online using interactive applications like VoIP, browsing and gaming.

If it was moved to start a 10PM the problem become even worse because more pronounced because even more people are browsing, gaming etc. not being able to make use of the net because of the leachers!

Forum Admin has already said there will be no changes so this thread is a waste of time now.
Professionally speaking, If the problem is so prevalent, starting 2am and ending at midday, would be the solution. 10 hours off-peak is still equal to or greater than any other ISP in this country (AFAIK) and perhaps Exetel is now at a size where it may need to consider this, and to be honest, I don't think you'd find more than 100 odd people of out Exetels K60+ users that would whinge about losing 2 hours, and perhaps those 100 odd people who do cry foul, are the part of the root cause, so if they left it would be no loss, but perhaps a benefit, to Exetel and the other K60+ users :)

Personally speaking, I like the midnight start, but I'd like to see it end by 9am so my VPN and NFS mounts respond in a timely manor :D