Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
gids.exeforum

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by gids.exeforum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:24 pm

I think that an important consideration which has been touched on but not clarified is: Why?

What’s the reason behind the suggestion? Some users seem to indicate that they notice a slowdown at certain times, while others indicate they don't use the off peak at all. What is EXETEL's reason for this proposal? Is there a network management issue or is it simply to facilitate user experience?

If it is simply to improve user experience then I would support a system that allowed the user to fix their own 'offpeak', as all users will have slightly different perspectives on what works. There may be commercial drivers which affect the range of options available (eg users who are shift workers still won't get their 'offpeak' when everyone else is at max usage)

The traffic management issue may also be alleviated by the provision by EXETEL of a free downloads manager which easily allows users to schedule times convenient for them. It could even show recent aggregated network data so that users can see exactly when the peak is for their connection and schedule around the peak. I do note that most people with large download requirements already have something they trust. The traffic issues may be geographic so some may find benefit in changing the off peak. While others will be disadvantaged.

Anyway that’s some food for thought and perhaps an EXETEL rep can explain why they are suggesting it and if there are other options we should consider.
:D

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:25 pm

LaurieBxB wrote:Why not ask for 12MN to 12MN.?
I was wondering when someone would ask the "I want more" people how much would be enough :lol:
12 Hours of offpeak seems to me to be very generous of Exetel.
Most ISP's offer about 6 to 8 hours.
Agreed - unfortunately, some people won't be happy until they get all 24 hours for free :?

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

BigDaddyCool

Post by BigDaddyCool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

I'll add my two cents:

Most ISP's set a fixed time due to their costs, not sure how Exetel works but........

Personally I think 12 til 12 worksout easier and all ISP's should have it for a standard when it comes to "Off Peak". However since Exetel would like to change this I would propose the following:

1. By default set new users to exetel on the 2am-2pm Offpeak.
2. Allow current/new users to switch their offpeak times using the Control Panel for their account.

Much the same way you can turn on capping etc, you should just be able to adjust the offpeak in the control panel. Fair enough users wont all be on the same offpeak times, but then again it allows the ISP to spread out the load due to those who schedule off-peak downloads.

I do agree however for "Late Gamers" .... eg. world of warcraft fans or just party nights, having the 2am-2pm offpeak would benifit to those users with reguards to latency etc.

-=-

Therefore it sums up "I dont care personally"..... but in some respects when I forget to download something in the offpeak just before lunch I'd have an extra 2 hours to do so....... so it would benfit me myself. I'm not on the internet myself at midnight..... but I do use schedule downloads for the offpeak.

Cheers
Jamie

AJR

Post by AJR » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm

And how about 12AM-2PM? :lol:

bcmalloy

Post by bcmalloy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:29 pm

I 'm happy with the arrangement as is.

my suggestion is giving adsl 1 users who have no access to adsl 2 the same download quotas that adsl 2 users enjoy for the same price

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm amazed at the number of first time posters in this thread that have registered after the thread started.

It would be interesting to see how many are legitamate and how many are TROLLS that are not even customers of Exetel.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:32 pm

bcmalloy wrote:I 'm happy with the arrangement as is.

my suggestion is giving adsl 1 users who have no access to adsl 2 the same download quotas that adsl 2 users enjoy for the same price
They used to, but suddenly changed it... I used to recommend new users in my rural community as a techie, but other more flexible options exist elsewhere sadly....

Back on topic....
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:33 pm

vk3xem wrote:I'm amazed at the number of first time posters in this thread that have registered after the thread started.

It would be interesting to see how many are legitamate and how many are TROLLS that are not even customers of Exetel.

agreed, though myself included, never needed the forums prior to now.... intend to see it through.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Sounds Great to me.
I rarely use 12 to 2am anyway.
Cheers

awal7607

Post by awal7607 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm

personally i don't think this will make much of a difference to me. as long as the peak/off-peak is still split 12hrs/12hrs... i'm happy.

DavidTangye

Post by DavidTangye » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Either timeframes are fine for us. Either way we will not broach our 6Gb peak allowance.

I suppose a 2am-2pm offpeak will allow gamers to stay up beyond midnight at high speed to play until 2am when the offpeak slowdown will hit them. I am not a gamer so I do not care. :roll:

However I guess I could run internet radio until 2pm now if I want to, rather than noon, which might be useful, except I can currently stay inside our peak quota and still run internet radio now and then anyway.

So overall, the plan is so good that we are happy anyway. :-)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 pm

vk3xem wrote:I'm amazed at the number of first time posters in this thread that have registered after the thread started.

Speaking as one of the people who has had a constant finger on the "activate account" button today, I would say that the majority are in fact Exetel customers. A lot registered from non-Exetel IPs but I expect that is because they were at work when the email arrived. I imagine the trolls (with one exception I spotted early on) will simply post on the similar thread on Whirlpool (which I assume exists and is presumably twice as long as this one :D ).

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

smellars

Post by smellars » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

No problems with me, lets the late nighters go for it till 2am, I'll set downloads to kick off at 2am.. everybody's happy..and hey I guess we all benefit next day till 2pm..If it helps Exetel and it doesn't impact me.. I'm ok with it!! At the end of the day for me I get two more everyday usable hours..;-)

LaurieBxB

Post by LaurieBxB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:46 pm

SR wrote: You could weight these options further... e.g.

(1) 2.am till 2pm (latest start, longest time - 12 hours: but does encroach into daytime business)
(2) 12 mid till 11am (earlier start, shorter time - 11 hours: current with finish of off-peak mid morning)
(3) 10 pm till 8.am (earliest start, shortest time - 10 hours: leaves business hours intact)
Why not as follows:
12AM to 12PM As this is what everyone signed up for.
1AM to 12PM If you want to start later then you give up some hours.
2AM to 12PM Give up more if you start even later.
11AM to 12PM

At least that way the offpeak use will not interfere with those that use it seriously for work purposes during the day (afternoon).
Seems you think anyone who doesn't agree with you should be penalized.

matboislim

Post by matboislim » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Sounds good to me :-)