Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
rseydler

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by rseydler » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Fine by me. Anything that lets my wife download during the day on the generous off peak limit is great. We have no issue with VOIP (via Engin) at any time of day.

Ron

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:34 pm

antoniov wrote:I am a morning person, so I could easily adapt and start my large downloads (usually linux/bsd operating system) in the mornings.
As for voip I have all but given up using it for important calls - I decided to change my exetel mobile and use it instead.
Just hope any changes to the off peak period does not effect the voip quality any more by dragging bandwidth down in the day time.
I use voip on an ADSL1 connection during the current offpeak (half the business day is offpeak) with no problems whatsoever. What speed are you on? Are you doing downloads etc on your own connection and maybe haven't setup QoS properly?

Zybch

Post by Zybch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm

So long as its still 12 hours on and 12 hours off its fine by me.
I'm rarely 'with it' enough to remember to queue any off-peak activities till after midnight so I'd not notice anything much except that additional 2 hours in the early afternoon as off-peak which I'd actually find quite handy.

BTW, nice for an ISP to actually solicit feedback for a proposed change instead of doing what most of 'em do and just change things (usually for the worse) without ANY notification or consultation.

baznet

Post by baznet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm

all Exetel are trying to do here is flatten out the graph (mow the MRTG lawn)

if you check the MRTG graphs for Exetel
http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... mmary.html

you can see that the peak down load periods starts at 12: midnight

if this change request from midnight to 2am is implimented
all it will do is move the peak on the graphs along 2 hours

or it will catch a lot of people out who wait up till midnight to start down loads manually (who dont read their emails of exetel changes)
untill the population is educated (after the next bill at #3 per gig over) ergo:- more revenue for Exetel

if this change goes ahead all we are doing here is programming people to use automatic downloads because they wont want to wait up till 2am

as for on line users:- making the change will be more of an inconvenience as it would be more beneficial for them to leave the current settings as they are

the sad thing is if no one one objects then the changes will be carried by the small number of people in the affirmative previously expressed

or is the cost of bandwidth to Exetel different for off peak times from 12-2 and 2-4 ? http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27615

I say NO thanks more of an inconvience actually, also very few people are around between 12:00 to 14:00 as the bandwidth graphs show
Kind regards Baz

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:37 pm

dbr wrote:
oblong wrote:Or will it simply shift that to 2AM?
Quite possibly. In fact you can see the spike at 2AM already as many of us (myself included) have their schuedulers set to 2AM vice 12AM. This was a request made by FA quite some time ago.

Even though I 'forego' two hours of off peak, I never have any problems downloading all that I wish to - and often have to regulate towards the end of the month to avoid going over.

I suspect the other posters have hit the nail on the head. There would be more people on line at 12 than at 2.
Ditto.

Doesn't worry me either way, and it's a nice thing to do for the late night gamers. (Not that it would matter if Netenforcer was setup right)

T.

mdieterk

Post by mdieterk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I woudl not like this change as my peak time is during the day, esp, the afternoon

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 pm

I like someone's idea of a user-changeable peak period.

Obviously it would need to be one or the other, not allowing a user to choose "2pm-2am" as offpeak or example, but a tickbox which could be changed (similar to the current "shaping" option). Example:

2am-2pm by default, with users able to select 1am-1pm or midnight-noon. Changes would be effective from the following month.

I don't suppose it is possible to have the times in a user's local time? I guess all your metering is done in Sydney so probably not, but thought I'd throw it up there anyway.

woofermew

Post by woofermew » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I vote against. Please do not shift the offpeak times. Most people are at work during the day time and giving us an extra 2hours during business hours doesnt really do much.

leaving it at midnight caters for students who stay up late and are active during those times and other people who generally stay up late.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm

4miler wrote:If you change the start time for offpeak, are you expecting me to stay awake at 2am to start the downloading?
Can you not set up a scheduler to download your podcasts? Obviously I don't know your set up or sites visited, but there are a number of download managers that allow scheduling.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

Jaytech

Post by Jaytech » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Great idea, that would suit me too.

ant333

Post by ant333 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Works for me

+ 1 vote

RBear

Post by RBear » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 pm

dbr wrote:Personally, it would make no difference to me. I mostly use the offpeak for queued downloads. I am rarely on at or after midnight and have not had any problems in the mornings.
And I'm not rare.

Anyway, this change will make comp buzz at period 12AM-2AM to no purpose. I disagree :evil:

braddunn83

Post by braddunn83 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 pm

2-2 would suit me better due to late night browsing

Maureen

Post by Maureen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 pm

I would prefer it to remain as is. 12 - 12. Why is it necessary to change?

regards
Maureen

lolapola

Post by lolapola » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 pm

this is absolutely BS !
I usually get what i wanna download at midnight and go to sleep and my download gets completed before I go to work at 8am.
If its changed to 2am i need to be up late night !
I am not home during the day so it makes NO sense to me. I don't know what Exetel is upto. If you wanna lose customers then pls implement this stupid change and I'll sign up with some other ISP