Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
Holoman

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by Holoman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm

For me..

+ Streaming live us sports from the US (especially west coast games) on the weekend is now counted as off peak for another 2 hours. Last time I checked most people are at work from 12pm-2pm weekdays.
= p2p streaming overnight will be the same
- No more staying up and starting downloads of podcasts, etc. Whose going to stay up till 2am to start this? I suppose this will now have to be done during peak.

There must be some other ways to spread the usage. How about -
3 choices with 3 pricing options?

12-12 = same price
2am-2pm = $3 discount
10pm - 10am = $6 increase

That way people who want to use some of the off-peak allowance whilst they are still awake pay for the privilege. This will assume the take up of the discount to be double that of people who want to take up the increase. Therefore Exetel revenue stays the same, but usage is now spread over another 4 hours.

pandyam

Post by pandyam » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 pm

I normally work till 2/3 am in the morning... i want couple of hrs to just muck around download freely etc. At present facility suits everyone because 9 or most probably 10pm is the time when mostly everyone go to bed.. we can stay past 12 for sometime without putting pressure on the ISP bandwidth issues..

Frankly, its a weird idea to let have 2am - 2pm... who really cares for time from 8am - 2pm? what are we really achiving in that 2 hrs pushing from 12 to 2am? ... Effectively, people will only use free internet for 4 hrs from 2am - 6am.. from 6am till till 4pm even if u give free hrs, frankly only few will care to say thanks..
2 hrs pushing back will not be good idea and not suit people who wants to really cover some download or play some nice games online.. I was thinking to propose 10pm - 10 am free net :oops:

who is awake up past 2am... and so whats the point .. :evil:

plz dont bring this idea.. bring in 10pm - 10am free :D
Thanks & regards,
PM

Vegetarianator

Post by Vegetarianator » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 pm

I am in favor of the proposed change
the journey IS the destination

gsf

Post by gsf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 pm

12am to 12 pm is fine. Just leave it.

Protodave

Post by Protodave » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm

I think its a great idea, change to 2am - 2pm :D

Boognoss

Post by Boognoss » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm in favour of this change if it goes ahead.

robertjudith

Post by robertjudith » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 pm

This would be a beneficial change for our use. :)

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 pm

tyler.durden wrote:Also according to exetel
this was suggested by a few people.

Just to be devil's advocate.
Is this true or cos exetel wants people to download less during the offpeak, so they suggest this idea
and putting this out there as a suggestion "made by others" to test the waters, or responses.
There are several threads in this forum relating to this issue, so it is FACT that it has been suggested by people.
tyler.durden wrote:Making the offpeak at 2am will mean not everyone who is tech savy with timer schedules,
or can't stay up to 2am to start downloading won't download offpeak till they wake up.
Thus this reduces their offpeak % of people downloading and therefore their cost etc.
What a shame putting out leechers when they have no regard for the impact of their usage upon everyone else on Exetel.

I would actually like to see a TOP 10 LEECHERS list on Exetel that is updated every month.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

shelat

Post by shelat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes I feel this is a good choice than not to use the Off peak. As such I find that I don't use Of peak hours at all.

I go for this.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I would say yes to change the quota time thanks Cheers :D

thomas261989

Post by thomas261989 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I would prefer to keep it as it is now.

magicone58

Post by magicone58 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Personally, 12am to 12 pm suites me better,as I can start a download and go to bed. If it changed to 2 am to 2 pm, I could then only use it on the weekend when I was at home. Am not keen on having my computer running whilst I am at work, so starting a download in the morning is not an option.

es2464

Post by es2464 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm

I am happy with 12-12, cuz I sleep quite late everyday.

I don't really care if off peak changes to 2-2, but I think 2 hour shift is too much difference. Some ppl might not happy with this

I think 1-1 will make everyone happy.

Choosing between 11-11, 12-12, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc,, might be a good option too.

Infy.AsiX

Post by Infy.AsiX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Finally some smarter voters with good points posting. Maybe late night users actually prefer the 12 start. Seems voters from earlier today prefer the later start. I find the "everyone wants it, do it already" posts selfish. Leave space for actual comments and suggestions.

As for the fact i'm a first time poster. Just contracted ADSL2 last week, I liked Exetel's 12-12 off-peak. Would be sad to see that go already.

I work til midnight and prefer 12-12. In fact i'm at work posting this over HSPA right now.

4miler

Post by 4miler » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Just because you use schedulers doesn't mean I can. I use iTunes on a Mac to select podcasts. I go through my list of subscriptions and it starts downloading. There aren't any schedulers I'm aware of that can fit in with my usage of iTunes podcasts.

Those of you asking why Exetel wants to change to a 2am start ---- remember, they're not doing it to help you. They're doing it to save themselves money. If they make it difficult for downloaders to start their downloads at 2am, then they don't use up as much bandwidth.

Remember, it is ALWAYS a financial motive. To save them money. Not to help you.

After all, no one was complaining about the 12pm download start.

Remember. Money. Money. That's what usually motivates these things.