Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Discussions regarding new & existing plans and other Exetel initiatives
YOUNGCHUL76

Re: Possible Change To Off Peak Period

Post by YOUNGCHUL76 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 pm

HI,
I HAD SIGNED UP ON THE PLAN WHICH HAD MIDNIGHT TO MIDDAY OFFPEAK
I DO ALL DOWNLOADING DURING THIS TIME, AND AS SUCH I WOULD STRONGLY PREFER TO LEAVE IT AS IT IS.
AT THE LEAST, I THINK EXETEL SHOULD ALLOW FREEDOM FOR USERS TO CHOOSE ONE OF THE TWO.
THANK YOU.

CLIENT

Post by CLIENT » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 pm

It will affect me, i need to use most of the off-peak usage to download. off-peak from 12am-12 noon is the essential term that i choose exetel, if changed to 2am-2pm, i would rather change to another provider.

You can make a change but that making an option for current clients to choose no change is essential, for my opinion.

Mulder

Post by Mulder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Honestly after reading some of these posts you would think they were getting their throats cut!
Personally it would be better for me to have that extra 2 hours in the afternoon yet it doesnt worry me if it stays as it is.
God help you if lost 2 hours!
mulder

sukaria

Post by sukaria » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 pm

I do not favour the change as i have to wait all night to be able to do my downloads. We also share the line and most people uses the internet early at night so it will be more beneficial to push it forward instead of later past midnight. I will have to switch provider if it changes. Please keep it as it is for existing clients. Cheers.

tnn500af

Post by tnn500af » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 pm

I vote NO!

I am happy with current arrangement besides this was what I've signed for anyway.
I have noticed EXETEL is keep coming up with extra charges / changes (for example charging extra NAKED DSL users for not using VOIP , personally don't mind this).
My point here - please don't change your rules half way through the contract people have signed for.
On the positive side I appreciate EXETEL is running the survey this time around.

Regards

Tomasz

smoky_stu

Post by smoky_stu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 pm

Personally, no problems with this idea, can't honestly say it would do me any good or bad, as I can only ever use it on weekends as not retired as of yet ... :lol:

kidmanga86

Post by kidmanga86 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 pm

8) I VOTE YES! 8)
:D YES! PLEASE CHANGE IT TO 2AM-2PM , I get so sick of being on the internet then at 12am it slowssss down. PLZ PLZ PLZ change it to 2am-2pm :D

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:36 pm

OK. I have trawled through all 27 pages of this thread so far and summarised the results but feel free to continue to make further comments:
  • By my count, there are currently 126 users stating they prefer off-peak intervals pushed forward to 2AM-2PM off-peak interval, 102 users stating they prefer off-peak to remain unchanged at 12AM-12PM, 19 users who would prefer off-peak intervals pushed backwards to 10PM-10AM and 57 users who state they have no particular preference.
  • More respondants who were in favour of the change explain their reasons than those opposed to the change:
    • Of the 126 users preferring to push it forward to 2AM-2PM, the common reasons stated were that it would alleviate midnight to 2am congestion for gaming and browsing and that it would provide more use during the wakeful daylight hours.
    • Of the 102 users preferring to keep things unchanged at 12AM-12PM, the most common reason stated was the inconvenience of commencing downloads. Although this reason is valid for unschedulable downloads (such as watching streaming video and proprietary software not allowing scheduling) most of these people do not seem to be familiar or fluent enough with download schedulers
    • Of the 19 users preferring to push it backwards to 10PM-10AM, the reasons where much the same as above (inconvenience of needing to currently wait until midnight to commence downloads)
  • There is a general consensus that people are incredibly pleased that Exetel is considerate enough to ask customers what they desire. For those newcomers: welcome to Exetel. You will find that this actually happens a fair bit. In fact some absolutely huge implementations of Exetel were born out of user suggestions
  • There were a few queries as to why change things. The reasons is mainly due to fact that downloading spikes on the stroke of midnight and this causes congestion on the Exetel network which can degrade browsing performance and gaming experiences. Pushing the off-peak period forward to 2am pushes this spike forward 2 hours to a time period where less people are expected to be awake.
  • There were a few very negative comments made including suggestions that this was not a "user suggestion" but a revenue raising attempt by Exetel to cash in on users caught unawares. From my heavy participation in these forums I have seen this user suggestion appear numerous times from late night gamers and browsers and a voluntary system was trialled to try and alleviate this midnight congestion. In other words, stop making unfounded allegations you just make yourself look ignorant
  • One negative criticism echoed by a few was that Exetel changes terms and conditions too frequently for their comfort. Those people may or may not realise that the off-peak period is written into Exetel's terms and conditions as "subject to change at any time". But I can see how this is a valid concern to many
  • Many users supported an opt-in / user choice system of off-peak periods
Note to Exetel staff and management: A user-choice system would be an absolutely fantastic way to give *all* users what they want, especially in light of the quite close split of votes. If you could generalise the shaping option procedure to have ump-teen "buckets" of users, just imagine how much this would distinguish Exetel from other ISPs. I am imagining a one-stop member facility page with completely customisable, month-to-month options: peak quota, shaping options, off-peak intervals...the works. Ambitious, but it would be remarkably beautiful if achievable.

mlval

Post by mlval » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:41 pm

I prefer the existing 12 midnight to 12 noon off peak period as it suits my current sleep / work hours. Staying up until 2am is too late if working the next day and I don't have time in the morning to start a download before going to work. As I work 9 to 5+ Monday to Friday the proposed change in off peak period would limit my use of the off peak period to weekends.

willhoy1

Post by willhoy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up, i take it in an "un-official" Exetel position, that as a few users (including myself) also mentioned an option for people to select what time is appropriate for them, is out of the question, as it was left out of your statement...

Just curious to know if it is even possible for exetel to potentially and officially offer this option, due to the fact that is was left out.

Thanks for the addin - please dissregard.
Last edited by willhoy1 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow, The wise understand by themselves, fools follow the reports of others. ~ Aesop

Col

Post by Col » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 pm

How dare Exetel ask for suggestions, then ask for opinions and then possibly act based on the opinions of a majority. Who do they think they are? [/sarcasm] :roll:

Just because people don't elaborate upon their reasons for voting yes to the change doesn't make those 'votes' invalid, they most likely don't feel like repeating what has previously been posted in this thread by someone else. For anyone who can't work a scheduler there is a thing called an alarm clock that you might be familiar with if you are really desperate to start downloading at the beginning of off-peak.

Finally, moving the off-peak period to start at 1opm is wishful thinking in my opinion. And also, the scare mongering about this might be the first step of Exetel eventually reducing the length of the off-peak period are... silly... in my opinion.

Great summary Corey :)

Red Scorpion

Post by Red Scorpion » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 pm

I dont mind too much if the change does occur. I think it would be ideal though if the user is able to choose their individual block of 12 hours. Obviously the time would start within the first 4-5 hours after midnight so that it is still classed as off-peak.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 pm

I like this suggestion. I go to bed around midnight, sometimes later... annoying when apparently everyone starts there torrent downloads during off-peak times >_<
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

ralph

Post by ralph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 pm

The time change is not that important. High volume stuff would just be queued for the new time whatever that is. But if you want to count votes, then mine is no - leave it as it is.

What is important, and others have touched on this, is how to ensure the important traffic gets through. VoIP and gaming packets for example. VoIP audio quality is really frustrating for me also. If this can be fixed by traffic prioritization, then the need for peak/off-peak goes away and the times become irrelevant.

If the problem is improving Internet responsiveness for customer, then I think you are going about it the wrong way. Find a solution that works 24x7 and not just 12 hours a day. If there are other reasons for the peak/off-peak periods, let us know.

tyler.durden

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 pm

CoreyPlover
Just cos you say you look for the thread and say you summarise this doesn't mean that it is true.
Why should i believe your statement as true.
Don't try to present this as facts.

You say majority here say change it.
So what.
All this means is people are register here say so.
But there are many ppl who don't bother with chatting in this forum who don't speak.
You can't extrapolate anything from a few samples.

Most people wouldn't post in this forum.
They would do it in whirlpool etc.
Since this is exetel specific for mainly exetel related problems.
If people don't have any problems then they wouldn't join or post here since it is more about problem related then chat unlike whirlpool.

You say more people gave reasons for change.
That is bullcrap.

Most people reasons are :
Yeap change it.
Or I like.
I see it is beneficial for me in the future.

If you called these as reasons.
Then you need to get your head straight.

Also you forget that by putting the change to 2am
this means we need to leave the computer on for 2 hours idling, doing nothing.
This means more $ cost in electricity for us, and more earlier wear and tear of the machines.

Also you say a number of people suggested this change.
So what?
A number of people out 99% of people who are fine with the system as it is.

Also someone who stated that most people are awake between 12am-2am so it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah those are probably unemployed or whatever.
Most people who have work or school don't or can't stay up to 2am.

It's already long enough to wait till midnight, now you need to wait another 2 hours.

For people who want to game or browse.
You can browse most sites fine.
You can browse during the day.
For gamers, why not just game earlier.

I think this would benefit 2 out of 10 ppl.
While it would inconvenience 8.

If this change is force on us,
I bet many people would look for a new ISP.
People were already pissed by the $3 fee.
Now this is a kick in the teeth.

[Edit by Gidget] - Please use black text to post - as others have commented, complete posts in red text are too hard on the eyes. And please watch your language,. Your next intemperate post (Google if you don't know what that means) will be deleted whether it otherwise contains good points or not.
Last edited by tyler.durden on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.